Do you carry a blade on a regular basis?

Do you carry a blade regularly?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tony Torre

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I also a knife, actually two knives on a regular basis. I've been carrying a pocket knife since I was a small child. Since getting my totemship merit badge from the boyscouts. I currently carry a small "gentlemans" folder and a larger folder for more "serious" tasks. On occasion I also carry a neck knife. For example when sea kayaking.

Tony Torre
Miami Arnis Group
www.miamiarnisgroup.com

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
I generally carry a small folder (Benchmade AFCK) and a small flashlight. I don't carry either for self-defense; as people have stated above, (a) the chances of having to use a knife for self-defense in most areas are virtually nil and (b) guns are better weapons.

That said, let me offer the following holzwege: I've had to change flat tires in the past and quickly grew tired of the rinky dink little lug-bolt wrenches and short jack levers that they give you with your jack and spare tire. So for the past I've carried a hex-nut wrench with a pivoting head that fits into a four foot length of hollow steel pipe, and a one-ton jack in the boot of my car. Now everytime I have to change a flat tire at least I don't bark my knuckles on the curb or give myself a hernia - and the job gets done fairly quickly. Now I may never use that four-foot hollow pipe as a weapon during my lifetime (at least, I sincerely hope not); however, the pipe is "ready-to-hand" within the equipment-context of servicable weapons in the world (as my friend Martin would say) along with folders, flashlights, guns, and, well, cars...

My folder, that is to say, is equipment with which to cut string and salami - for the most part.

Best,

Steve

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I generally carry a small folder (Benchmade AFCK) and a small flashlight. I don't carry either for self-defense; as people have stated above, (a) the chances of having to use a knife for self-defense in most areas are virtually nil and (b) guns are better weapons.

That said, let me offer the following holzwege: I've had to change flat tires in the past and quickly grew tired of the rinky dink little lug-bolt wrenches and short jack levers that they give you with your jack and spare tire. So for the past I've carried a hex-nut wrench with a pivoting head that fits into a four foot length of hollow steel pipe, and a one-ton jack in the boot of my car. Now everytime I have to change a flat tire at least I don't bark my knuckles on the curb or give myself a hernia - and the job gets done fairly quickly. Now I may never use that four-foot hollow pipe as a weapon during my lifetime (at least, I sincerely hope not); however, the pipe is "ready-to-hand" within the equipment-context of servicable weapons in the world (as my friend Martin would say) along with folders, flashlights, guns, and, well, cars...

My folder, that is to say, is equipment with which to cut string and salami - for the most part.

Best,

Steve

Everytime I have had a knife in my pocket, and another knife was present, I never have had a chance to pull it as I was to busy dealing with the attacker and the knife, or worse yet, I realized I was cut in the leg or arm and they were gone.

I like a knife for utility. If I could carry one at work I would, for the utility reason. While I travel I carry one as well. Just got back from out west Phoenix and Flagstaff, and my cbq-7 worked just fine. I was able to scrape numbers (* stickers *) off of a vehicle. I was able to open boxes, and if required the half serrated edge could have cut a seat belt to get some out of a vehicle if an accident occurred. None did, and none usually occur. Just a precaution I take.

But I had it on me while traveling out west, but once back home it went back to the mantle and is not in my pocket at the moment.

jeff5

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I carry one. Mainly for utility, although I have a white collar job and not like I'm cutting things open all the time. =P. I can't imagine many situations that I'd be in (that's me though, others are different), that I'd have to deploy my blade in self defense. Here in IL, if you have a blade over 3 inches it can be considered a dangerous weapon, so they have to be fairly small.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah I guess I could say that I carry a blade on a regular basis. I use a box cuter at work, and if need be it could be very effective at slashing. As a rule I cary a small (about 2") folder when I'm out and about. Not for SD purposes, just for utility. That said, I doubt I'd pull it in a SD situation, I'd more than likely reach for a blunt instrument as an equalizer, something with length.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I carry one. Mainly for utility, although I have a white collar job and not like I'm cutting things open all the time. =P.

I have a corporate job as well...yet I'm surprised at how often I've reached for my blade now that I carry it with me :D :D

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I carry always and consider it a "tool" not a weapon. However if the need arises... then the latter designation is used for it. :D
Excellent point...If we were restricted to not having "weapons" we'd have to all stay home.....
I do the same thing....I keep a leatherman multi-tool with me in my bag and I carry a CRKT Bear Claw inside my belt out of sight...even the clip is hidden...I keep my cell phone over the same area to hie the clip....

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was going to answe "No" to the poll until I realised that actually yes, I do actually carry what is technically a knife with me all the time - it's one of the tools on the multi-tool gizmo I keep in my pocket for the occaisions when I have to fix, bodge or otherwise amend hardware :lol:.

Of course, on Saturdays, I'm somewhat more 'tooled up' :D.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
the short blade is one of the oldest and most useful tools that mankind has ever known, whether made of steel, iron, stone, or bone.

There is absolutely no reasonable excuse to not carry one. This has been proven to me over the years by the trillions of time I have been asked by otherwise civilized people if they could borrow my knife.

Kinda reminds me of all those times people ask me what time it is.

"It's time to get a watch, jerky!"

gnrail

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I use to carry at least one folder at all times but after 911 and all the regulations on flying and such I got out of the habit lest I forgot going to the airport and lost one of my favorite friends. I find these days my keys function for most knife functions especially those great long import keys with all those jagged edges.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally, I do carry. While my primary motivation is self-protection, I've found it to be very convenient to carry something that can cut through tye-wraps and open boxes upon demand.
biggrin.gif
These are same reasons I carry at all times.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The thing is... so much stuff these days is seriously overpackaged that if you don't have a blade, and a sharp one at that, you may never be able to open that package of headache pills/screwdriver set/pack of florescent green highlighters you just bought. The way merchandise has become embedded in layers of plastic that seem to have been tightly molded around it means that without a good knife at hand, you'll probably have to use your teeth on the damned things (with no guarantee that that will work...)
I know what you mean. Have you tried opening a kid's toy lately? The toy is secured with a ridiculous amout of tiewires :erg:

kalikg

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am a knife collector and a kali practitioner; I feel naked without a blade. I usually carry two. An Emerson in my right pocket and a smaller Spyderco in my left. I have used them for all sorts of chores but never for my defense; I hope it stays that way.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Always. Seems like there's always a birthday or holiday happening around here, and, like exile said, things are overwrapped. Did you know that Mattel feels compelled to use two-foot metal wire twisties on every item in a package of Barbie clothing? Including the shoes? Individually? Every time my niece has a birthday, I'm on the floor recreating that scene in Hellraiser where the guy is trying to open the box. I have a folding knife that, er, cuts the time spent removing toys from the boxes in half.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Funny story -

Went to the chiro yesterday and was laying on my back, wearing a lo-cut tank. He was behind me at my head, working on my neck, reached down and tugged at the knife I keep in my bra. Now he's a great guy, so I didn't react except to open one eye and look at him.

He asked me about it later, if I always carried it there. I replied and he asked what I used it for and replied similarly to Carol (didn't tell him about the others). He just looked at me and said, "Like you need it! The air about you is so intimidating no one would go near you!"

I don't know if I should :D or :( ... :lol2:

Obliquity

Green Belt
Reaction score
Very rarely do I not have a blade on me. Either a Spyderco Endura or a slightly smaller Benchmade depending on what I am doing at the time.

My philosophy about being armed one way or another is reflected in this following true story:

When asked once about whether the security staff really needed to be armed, I replied that it was such a low threat situation that it was very unlikely that weapons would ever be needed. None-the-less, the question remained: "When will you need it?" The principal was well known and had some detractors. Although probably just vandals, some equipment had been shot-up. This particular industry tended to attract some weird folks with very odd opinions. Still, the threat was low, but I felt it was better to be trained and prepared than to say, "Maybe we should have . . ."

You may never need it, but (combat zones aside) you don't really know when you will. When will the nutjob be in your safe suburban neighborhood or in the supermarket line behind you? Maybe never, but, the truth is, you just don't know.

I, for one, don't want to be saying, "Gee, I should have been carrying today."

Reference ---> October 16, 1991 Luby's Cafeteria, Killeen, TX

Latest Discussions