Do VP debates really matter?

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Does it really matter whether or not VP candidates can repeat their running mates plans and philosophies in tonights debate? I think not. They don't set the policy. They just do what they're told to do. Answering questions related to domestic or foreign policy is simply a test of how well these two can regurgitate what their running mates have said. If they do otherwise, the press will be all over them with criticisms.

So, if policy questions are irrelevant, what questions should be asked? What is your favorite book you've read over the last year? Who is your personal hero? What is your favorite color? (I believe the first two were actual questions in previous debates).

What do you hope to get out of tonights debate? What questions would you ask if you were the moderator?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, it does show if they're ready should someone have a heart attack on Jan. 21. That's what matters to me.

I don't need them to fully agree with the #1 person.

OP
Shuto

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, it does show if they're ready should someone have a heart attack on Jan. 21. That's what matters to me.

I don't need them to fully agree with the #1 person.

How do they show that they're ready? Do they show anything more than how well they can repeat the answers they've been prepped for? If they answer what THEY think instead of what their running mate thinks, they will be crucified by the press for not knowing their running mates policy or for disagreeing with it.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The vice presidential candidates and their debates, are, I believe, highly important. The VP, despite his relative lack of constitutional role, is a reflection of the Presidental candidate's ability to choose people for positions of authority throughout the executive branch. If the candidate cannot get a VP to agree with him on the broad strokes of his policy, and prepare that VP to argue for that policy, then what prayer has he of getting a Cabinet to do the same when it really matters?

The selection of the VP candidate is a candidates first 'executive act'. Time for the VPs to show that the candidates made their choices right - It's not about them, it's about how they reflect on the boss.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Senator, you are no Jack Kennedy.
Vice Presidential Candidate Lloyd Bentsen to (then) future VP J. Danforth Quayle.
Then in 92 we had the three way VP Debate with Al Gore, Dan Quayle and Admiral Stockdale (Who looked like he was asleep for most of it)
No, I don't think, in the grand scheme of things they matter much. No one votes for the bottom of the ticket.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess I see it as them interviewing for the job (or for my vote). I am interested in seeing them since the VP may have to step into the presidents role. Yes, I want to see them and hear what they have to say before I vote.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Does it really matter whether or not VP candidates can repeat their running mates plans and philosophies in tonights debate? I think not. They don't set the policy. They just do what they're told to do. Answering questions related to domestic or foreign policy is simply a test of how well these two can regurgitate what their running mates have said. If they do otherwise, the press will be all over them with criticisms.

I get what you're saying, localizing the importance of the VP in this election to one debate. However, I feel that the VP office is important enough to really get a grasp on who might be the next President of the US, whether by election in eight years or through some other means.

"[The] Vice President has two primary duties: to cast a vote in the event of a Senate deadlock and to preside over and certify the official vote count of the U.S. Electoral College." -wiki

And what if Palin starts spewing stuff about bombing Russia? Or Biden drops the N-bomb on accident? Those are harsh examples, but I'll definitely be on the lookout for some slip-up (on both sides) tonight.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Or Biden drops the N-bomb on accident?
He'd be instantly forgiven, as was Robert Byrd, Cruz Bustamante, etc.
It is only a big deal when a republican uses the word. Or, you know, says something nice to an old man at his birthday party...

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
He'd be instantly forgiven, as was Robert Byrd, Cruz Bustamante, etc.
It is only a big deal when a republican uses the word. Or, you know, says something nice to an old man at his birthday party...

Why do you always make it a partisan-offensive issue? That detracts so much from any debate.

And yeah, it would be a big deal if an African American Presidential candidate's running mate dropped the N-Bomb. It would be a big deal.

But that's not the point of this thread, is it? It's about whether or not VP debates matter. Do you have anything to add besides empty, vapid commentary?

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
mccain is old & a cancer survivor, obama might be our first black president which would make him a very high risk for assasination. so even if v.p. debates don't usually matter, this one should.

nobody votes at the bottom of the ticket, however before running mates were selected i really didn't care who one. but now, dear god, please don't let palin in the white house.

jf

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why do you always make it a partisan-offensive issue? That detracts so much from any debate.

And yeah, it would be a big deal if an African American Presidential candidate's running mate dropped the N-Bomb. It would be a big deal.

But that's not the point of this thread, is it? It's about whether or not VP debates matter. Do you have anything to add besides empty, vapid commentary?

except he is right.

Byrd? forgiven and re-elected
Lott? not

it's hard to argue with the truth

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Come along gentlemen, put the knives away :).

Everyones being doing well keeping their hats on for the past few days; don't break it by letting gibes at each other replace reasoned discussion.

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
VP debates do not usally matter. However, this one is a historic election. Indeed a unique time in our democracy! It will be close! :)

OP
Shuto

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
mccain is old & a cancer survivor, obama might be our first black president which would make him a very high risk for assasination. so even if v.p. debates don't usually matter, this one should.

nobody votes at the bottom of the ticket, however before running mates were selected i really didn't care who one. but now, dear god, please don't let palin in the white house.

jf

Yep, VP matters in most elections but it really matters in this election. I'm just not convinced that I will be a more informed voter after having watched tonight's debate. Perhaps if one of them really screws up...

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Knowing that if the President dies the VP will be in charge I would like to know where their head is and how much they really know about running this country but I doubt I will get that information watching the debate

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dan, with respect, are we watching the same debate? The one I'm watching has a woman out of her comfort zone, stumbling for words, chewing on her foot. I've seen less rambling replies in the Last Person thread. If I hear "Maverick" one more time, I'll be over the legal limit to drive. ;)

Can we replace Obama with Barr so I can vote for a Barr-Biden ticket?

In the past I was usually more impressed with the VP debate than the Presidential ones. I don't know how much they really effect things, but at this point I'm very concerned for the McCain ticket after watching this one.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought that Palin started out appearing nervous but got stronger as she went. I thought she did a good job which surprised me because I didn't think she would.

Latest Discussions