Do front kicks and upwards knee strikes travel a circular or linear path?

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score
front kick (not a teep/push kick)

upwards knee (not a forward knee)

I hear some people say try and make the front kick travel a linear path to the target but wont that ruin the circular force?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
front kick (not a teep/push kick)

upwards knee (not a forward knee)

I hear some people say try and make the front kick travel a linear path to the target but wont that ruin the circular force?

I think it is semantics really, I believe the kick is traveling the same path it's just where it stops. In other words a front kick towards the belly of a person that's at the same height as you, the knee is going to point straight and out comes the kick traveling in a more "linear" path. However if the target is above your belt level (so to speak) then the knee travels upwards and it would follow a more "circular" or "upwards" path.

If the person is in front the knee travels the same path but the impact is knocking the person horizontally backwards, if the target is upwards slightly the person gets knocked back but upwards slightly.

If the knee is a forward knee then the force is directed at the end of the knee in line with the hips, but if the knee is an upward knee it is rotating higher, but the force is still on the end of the knee (and you are thrusting with the hips in a upward motion. I don't really see the difference, it's still circular anyway you look at it.

Last edited by a moderator:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Linear. You cock the knee and then drive it forwards.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The most direct path from where the foot starts to the target. Might be straight, might be curved, might be angled...

Latest Discussions