Dit Da Jow

OP
S

starguard1

White Belt
Reaction score
Are you having a difficult time choosing between Robert Chu's recipe for "Trauma Wine" and the Dit Da Jow (Iron Hit Wine)? If so, maybe the following comparison of their ingredients can help.

"Trauma Wine"...........................................Dit Da Jow (Iron Hit Wine)

ru xiang, 12 grams .....................................ru xiang, 12 grams
mo yao, 12 grams ......................................mo yao, 12 grams
chi shao, 12 grams .....................................chi shao, 12 grams
mu xiang, 12 grams ....................................mu xiang, 12 grams
hong hua, 9 grams ......................................hong hua, 9 grams
tao ren, 9 grams ........................................tao ren, 9 grams
dang gui wei, 12 grams ...............................dang gui wei, 12 grams
pu huang, 12 grams ....................................pu huang, 12 grams
da huang tan, 9 grams ................................da huang tan, 9 grams
tian qi, 12 grams ........................................tian (san) qi, 12 grams
xue ji, 9 grams ...........................................xue ji, 9 grams
ding xiang, 9 grams ....................................ding xiang, 9 grams
..............................................................zhang nao, 12 grams (resolves stagnant blood, anti-inflammatory and analgesic)
..............................................................ma qian zi, 9 grams (promotes circulation, resolves traumatic swelling and analgesic)

As you can see, the Dit Da Jow (Iron Hit Wine) is simply a modification of Robert Chu's "Trauma Wine" recipe. Zhang nao and ma qian zi were apparently added to promote circulation, reduce inflammation and traumatic swelling, and provide analgesic properties.

Remember, to modify the recipe to what you need:
1.) To focus on pain, consider adding:
yu jin, 9 grams
chuan xiong, 9 grams

2.) To focus on traumatic swellings, consider adding:
cao wu, 9 grams
chuan wu, 9 grams

With dignity and honor,
Robert

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
has anyone heard of the medicine translated, 'the wine for those who have fallen and botten beaten up'
im serious, this is what i used when i was living in vancouver, canada. a friend of mine supplied me with a few bottles. i used it on cuts and bruises.
since then i once found something like it when i was in the chinatown in the philipines, which seemed to be similar or the same but much more watered down.
im hope to get more information at get it again. im guessing it has similar ingredients to the dit da jow- or even the same with a different name??

OP
S

starguard1

White Belt
Reaction score
Sorrry, but I could not find the medicine translated, "the wine for those who have fallen and botten beaten up" in any of my books or internet searches. However, below are two Chinese herbal patent medicines to consider. Both should be available from your local Chinese grocer. If they don't have them in stock, most Chinese grocer's can get them within a week or two:

Die Da Wan Hua You
The following description is from the Outline Guide to Chinese Herbal Medicine by Margaret Naeser.

Die Da Wan Hua You is produced as "Wan Hua Oil" by the United Pharmaceutical Manufactory, Guangzhou, China in bottles containing 15cc.

Functions:
1. Promote Blood circulation; Remove Stagnation
2. Decrease Swelling; Relax Tendons
3. Stop Pain; Promote regeneration of damaged tissues

Applications:
1. Use to treat sports or traumatic injuries, with or without open wound. Also, used to treat sprains and strains of muscles and tendons.
2. Use to treat burns due to flames and/or hot liquid.
3. Use to treat cuts on the skin with bleeding including those from martial arts practice.

How to use this oil:
1. For sports or traumatic injuries without open wound, rub the injured area with a cotton ball soaked with this oil, 2 or 3 times per day.
2. For burns and cuts, place a cotton ball soaked with this oil onto the injured area, and wrap the area with a gauze bandage. Change the soaked cotton ball every day.

Tieh Ta Yao Gin
The following description is from Chinese Herbal Patent Medicines by Jake Fratkin.

Tieh Tao Yao Gin is produced by United Pharmaceutical Manufactory, Foshan, China in the following sizes: 10 ml, 30 ml, and 100 ml.

Functions:
Invigorates blood, breaks blood stasis, tonifies blood, stops bleeding, strengthens tendon and bone, dredges and opens the channels and collaterals, relieves pain.

Applications:
Apply topically for acute bruising or swelling accompanying traumatic sprain, fracture or dislocation. Also for torn or inflamed ligaments, with or without swelling. Can be taken internally for traumatic swelling.

Jake Fratkin's Comments:
Based on the internal formula Qi Li San, this liniment is excellent for acute and chronic injury with pain, swelling or bruising, and for mending fractured bone. This type of liniment has a long history in China for martial arts injuries. Use until swelling or bruise is gone, changing the application every day or after bathing.

Caution:
Certain skin sensitive patients may react to this product: remove in the event of heat or itching so as to avoid a skin reaction. Do not cover with plastic. Do not apply to open wounds. Avoid contact with eyes. Wash hands thoroughly after use. Can stain clothes. Remove with rubbing alcohol.

How to use:
External: Injuries should be clean and dry before applying the lotion. Apply 3 to 4 times a day to gauze, and place over wound. May be covered if desired. Or can be applied to skin with light tui na massage.

Internal: Take 1 to 3 tsp. with water, 2 times per day.

With dignity and honor,
Robert

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
sorry, wrong spelling- the wine for those have fallen and gotten beaten up.
it must be something like that.
i'm guessing it is something similar to the medicines mentioned above. the name was what i came to call it as my friend who was chinese and quite a lingiustic perfectionist translated as 'the wine for those who have fallen and gotten beaten up' - i doubt it was a family recipe or something like that-
no big deal, but it would be nice to find it again. it has a brown yellow colour. that leaves a bit of a stain on the skin-

OP
S

starguard1

White Belt
Reaction score
From your description, "the wine for those that have fallen and gotten beaten up" is quite similar therapeutically to Die Da Wan Hua You. Therefore, I think that you will be quite happy using it until a source for your "wine" is found. Per Jake Fratkin, Die Da Wan Hua You is an excellent liniment for traumatic injuries causing swelling, bruising, torn or inflamed ligaments, fractures, burns, infected burns and open wounds. Since there is no alcohol, it can be applied to open wounds. Die Da Wan Hua You's translated name "Traumatic Injury Ten Thousand Flowers Oil" likely refers to the fact that there are thousands of potential applications. BTW, try not to get it on your clothes, as it can stain them.

As I stated previously, Die Da Wan Hua You is produced as "Wan Hua Oil" by the United Pharmaceutical Manufactory, Guangzhou, China in bottles containing 15cc.

I will keep your "wine" in mind as I read new books and surf the web. Fortunately, it has a unique name, so it is not one that I will soon forget!

With dignity and honor,
Robert

el mas suave

White Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone used Tieh Ta Formula? They are pills by Golden Flower Chinese Herbs. I have seen bottles of them in my local herb store.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
thanks for the information.
i'm still surprised that the stuff is not more common. the bottles size description sounds right. i used to also put it on open wounds like skinless knuckles. -it did have a bite to it so if it really is that medicine you say there is no alcholol, it certainly stung just like alchohol would, so either it was a different medicine or there is a different substance that causes the brief stinging.
anyhow, thanks, again. i will take note of the medicine you mentioned and try to find some to see if it's the one.
baffles me why my friend would translate it wrong. only think i can think of is that that was not the name but the description that was translated....?
i wonder- ill have to check it out because im getting more and more curious now.
j

OP
S

starguard1

White Belt
Reaction score
i'm still surprised that the stuff is not more common. the bottles size description sounds right. i used to also put it on open wounds like skinless knuckles. -it did have a bite to it so if it really is that medicine you say there is no alcholol, it certainly stung just like alchohol would, so either it was a different medicine or there is a different substance that causes the brief stinging.
anyhow, thanks, again. i will take note of the medicine you mentioned and try to find some to see if it's the one.
baffles me why my friend would translate it wrong. only think i can think of is that that was not the name but the description that was translated....?
i wonder- ill have to check it out because im getting more and more curious now.
j

As much effort as you have put into finding it, it must be amazing stuff. So, let me know where you find it. Because I will want to where I can purchase a bottle of it too!!!!!

With dignity and honor,
Robert

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As much effort as you have put into finding it, it must be amazing stuff. So, let me know where you find it. Because I will want to where I can purchase a bottle of it too!!!!!

Sure thing. Will do.

j

Great Mender

White Belt
Reaction score
j

I want to know where I can purchase a bottle of it too!!!!!

Great Mender

White Belt
Reaction score

Great Mender

White Belt
Reaction score
If you have a farm store nearby, a buddy of mine swears by Absorbine veterinary (horse) liniment either in gel or liquid form. Through many years of police work, crash and burns, martial arts, and plain old clumsiness, he has found that Absorbine horse liniment works wonders.

Here is a link regarding it:
http://www.absorbine.com/absorbine/product_detail/5

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you have a farm store nearby, a buddy of mine swears by Absorbine veterinary (horse) liniment either in gel or liquid form. Through many years of police work, crash and burns, martial arts, and plain old clumsiness, he has found that Absorbine horse liniment works wonders.

Here is a link regarding it:
http://www.absorbine.com/absorbine/product_detail/5

I've used Absorbine Jr (not equine) and Jow off & on over the years, & thought to use the Ab Jr equine since the bulk is cheaper from what I've heard, but I've also heard that it can be rather irritating. What is your experience? Thx.

Great Mender

White Belt
Reaction score
I've used Absorbine Jr (not equine) and Jow off & on over the years, & thought to use the Ab Jr equine since the bulk is cheaper from what I've heard, but I've also heard that it can be rather irritating. What is your experience? Thx.

If it had irritated my skin, I would not have used it on my horse. I have no personal experience with it other than on my horse and that was many years ago, during my youth. Of course, if you or anyone else has chemically sensitive skin, your experiences may be different than mine.

Great Mender

White Belt
Reaction score
Dit%20Da%20Jow.jpg

Chinese Sports Medicine is what the monks, both Buddhist and Taoist, would study and practice. They would allow for healing of both the warriors and those that they fought against. Two very famous students of these folk healing techniques were Sun Lu Tang in the north and Wong Fei Hung in the south. These two folk heroes are well known for their fighting skills and for there ability to heal those who are sick or wounded.

Dit Da Jow is used for injuries incurred during training. The name translates into “medicated wine” and is a liniment that is made up a verity of herbs placed into white rice wine or something comparable. It is rubbed onto wounds like bumps and burses to facilitate faster healing.
In the past, every school had a Dit Da Jow and it was a closely guarded secret. Only the teachers knew the ingredients to the liniment and would only share it with their most trusted students. However, times have changed. Below are the ingredients to Sensei Brian Nell's personal Dit Da Jow, and what each herb does. If you are in need of herbs, or would rather buy a bottle ready to use, feel free to email Sensei Brian Nell.

The following is mixed into 1 gallon of rice wine*. It takes a minimum of three months to brew, and the longer the stronger. Once a day try to shake the mixture. (*The amount listed makes a great amount. Try cutting in half or in quarters.)
To apply, put a small amount onto the ball of the thumb, or the pads of the fore and middle finger. Massage the wounded area, and slowly work out past the edge of the wound.

Pin Yin Name: Yan Hu Suo
Common Name: Corydalis Rhizome
Botanical Name: Corydalis Yanhusuo Rhizoma
Actions: nervous sedative, analgesic (9g)

Pin Yin Name: Ru Xiang
Common Name: Frankincense
Botanical Name: Olibanum Gummi (Boswelia Carterii)
Actions: anti-inflammatory, mucostatic, muscular relaxant, emmenagogue (12g)

Pin Yin Name: Mo Yao
Common Name: Myrrh
Botanical Name: Myrrha
Actions: vulnerary, analgesic, anti-fungal, detumescent (12g)

Pin Yin Name: Chi Shao
Common Name: Peony Root - Red
Botanical Name: Paeoneae Rubrae Radix
Actions: uterine restorative, astringent coronary dilator, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial (12g)

Pin Yin Name: Hong Hua Fen
Common Name: Safflower Flower Powder
Botanical Name: Carthamus Tinctorius Flos
Actions: cardiovascular / coronary restorative, circulatory (9g)

Pin Yin Name: Tao Ren
Common Name: Peach Kernel
Botanical Name: Prunus Persica Semen
Actions: uterine relaxant, analgesic, uterine stimulant (9g)

Pin Yin Name: Dang Gui
Common Name: European Angelica, Garden Angelica, Wild Angelica.
Botanical Name: Radix Angelicae Sinensis
Actions: Tonifies blood, alleviate pain, reduce swellings, generate flesh (12g)

Pin Yin Name: San Leng
Common Name: Scirpus Rhizome
Botanical Name: Sparganium stoloniferum
Actions: Liver and spleen, bitter, removes blood stagnation, stops pain (9g)

Pin Yin Name: Da Huang
Common Name: Rhubarb Rhizome
Botanical Name: Rheum Palmatum
Actions: biliary sedative, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial (9g)

Pin Yin Name: San Qi or Tian Qi
Common Name: Pseudoginsing Root
Botanical Name: Radix Pseudoginsing
Actions: stop bleeding, transform blood stasis, can stop bleeding without causing blood stasis, traumatic injuries, alleviate pain, reduce swelling (12g)

Pin Yin Name: Xue Ji
Common Name: Dragons Blood
Botanical Name: Daemonorops Draconis Sanguis
Actions: Dispel blood stasis, relieve pain, traumatic injuries causing fractures, contusion, sprains, bruising and stops bleeding (Red resin extracted from the fruit of Daemonorops draco (9g)

Pin Yin Name: Gao Ben or Chuan Xiong
Common Name: Ligusticum or Lovage Root, Chinese
Botanical Name: Ligusticum Sinensis Rhizome et Radix
Actions: analgesic, emmenagogue, anti-inflammatory (9g)

Pin Yin Name: Ji Xue Teng
Common Name: Spatholobus
Botanical Name: Caulis Milleti
Actions: Promote movement of blood, tonify blood (9g)

This is a medicine so there are rules that need to be followed:

: External use only, do not ingest.
: Do not use on open wounds, only closed one.
: Do not use on eyes, mouth or genitals
: Do not use on lower abdomen, if pregnant.

Great Mender

White Belt
Reaction score
Common Chinese Herbal Formulas for Pain Due To Trauma

By Robert Chu, L.Ac.Throughout my many years in my sports and martial arts, I have come across many trauma (known in Chinese as dit da, literally "fall and strike") prescriptions for herbal liniments, powders, plasters, and decoctions. Many Chinese are familiar with herbal liniments that are used for bruises, sprains, strains, fractures, and other trauma, due to a blow or fall. These formulas can all be used by weekend athletes and others who have to visit their sports medicine doctor. Beware of claims, "My secret formula is the best!" In the past, I stared with amazement and almost revered the brown, smelly liniment as I rubbed it into my bruises and training aches and pains.

After studying Chinese medicine and learning the fundamental principles, etiology of disease, methods of diagnosis, herbology, massage, acupuncture, moxibustion and cupping, I learned that a Chinese medicine practitioner must tailor treatments to the individual, and no set method is used to cure everyone or every injury. Indeed, one liniment I used regularly for bruises did heal my bruises in a few days, but always made me break out in a rash that lasted for two weeks! It always seemed to me that the cure was almost as bad as the injury or worse!

I later analyzed the prescription's individual ingredients and, through diagnosis, found my personal constitution had a lot of heat. Although the traditional formula has some very toxic and warm herbs in it, based on my constitution, these herbs were not for me. The result of having a warm constitution, living in a warm climate (Los Angeles), plus using warm herbs was inflammation, a rash.

Tradition or not, this prescription was not for me. Instead, I substituted the prepared versions of the above herbs and the effect was more agreeable for my individual constitution. Most experienced herbalists take a base formula and customize it for the individual. Thus, there is not one true, secret, ultimate trauma prescription! So beware of such claims.

Generally speaking, commercial forms of Chinese herbal trauma formulas like Xiao Huo Luo Dan (small invigorate collaterals pill), Bai Hua Yu (white flower oil), Tian Qi Jiu (first aid antiseptic), Yunnan Bai Yao (yunnan white powder), and Zheng Gu Shui (correct the bone liniment), are safe and effective for most everyday injuries. Many Chinese would rather use these herbal formulas first for a minor injury. I would certainly advise readers to seek proper medical attention in case of serious injury.

Xiao Huo Luo Dan is taken as a pill, and generally used for backaches, muscle strains, and broken bones. This is available prepackaged with directions for use. Like all herbal medicines, it is best to use as directed on the package.

Bai Hua Yu is a fragrant analgesic oil, used for stiff muscles and strains as a result of "over doing it." I usually refer to it as "Chinese Ben Gay." Avoid getting the oil on your face, as it can irritate the eyes.

Tian Qi Jiu is an herbal liniment for bruises. Usually, the person using it rubs it on topically into bruises or contusions.

Yunnan Bai Yao is a powder that stops bleeding immediately and is used when you have minor cuts or scrapes, or if you cut yourself shaving. During the Vietnam War, soldiers were given a supply of this powder for firearm wounds. It was so precious that soldiers referred to it as a "gold they wouldn't trade." Dramatically, this powder can stop bleeding instantly and promote healing with little to no scarring.

Finally, Zheng Gu Shui is a fine liniment for minor bruises, strains, and minor fractures to the fingers or toes. It also helps stop the pain that may occur due to minor sports injuries. It is also best to avoid on the face as it can irritate the eyes.

All of these commercial patents are available at your local Chinatown drug store or Chinese herbalist. If your goal is hard training, or you have sustained a more severe injury, it is better to visit a Chinese herbalist to create a formula based on your individual constitution, climate, and type of training or injury. Just because herbal formulas are natural, does not mean they are not dangerous medicine when used incorrectly. Many immuno-comprised individuals and pregnant women should avoid herbal trauma prescriptions as the herbs may be somewhat toxic or have affects regarding blood flow and may lead to miscarriage.

A good reference book for the majority of Chinese trauma herbs and their uses is Chinese Patent Herbal Formulas by Jake Fratkin (Shya Publications, 1985).

Robert Chu is a Licensed Acupuncturist/Chinese herbalist available for consultation in the Los Angeles area. You can e-mail him at [email protected] for martial arts and sports medicine-based training herbal formulas for trauma and pain. He can alsso be reached at:

Robert Chu, L.Ac.
[email protected]
at Miller Family Chiropractic
212 East Foothill Blvd.
Arcadia, CA 91006
(626) 930-1355

Great Mender

White Belt
Reaction score
Mew Hing’s All Purpose Dit Da Jow
1.) Phellodendri, Cortex, Huang Bai 30g
2.) Acanthopanacis Gracilistyli Radicis, Cortex Wu Jia Pi 30g
3.) Drynariae, Rhizoma, Gu Sui Bu 30g
4.) Olibanum, Gummi, Ru Xiang 30g
5.) Arisaematis, Rhizoma, (Toxic) Tian Nan Xing 30g *
6.) Eucommiae Ulmoidis, Cortex Du Zhong 30g
7.) Aconiti Carmichaeli, Radix, (Toxic) Chuan Wu 30g *
8.) Curcumae, Tuber Yu Jin 30g
9.) Gardeniae Jasminoidis, Fructus Zhi Zi 30g
10.) Corydalis Yanhusuo, Rhizoma Yan Hu Suo 30g
11.) Aconiti Kusnezoffi, Radix, (Toxic) Cao Wu 30g *
12.) Curcumae Longae, Rhizoma, Jiang Huang 30g
13.) Codonopsitis Pilosulae, Radix, Dang Shen 30g
14.) Rehmanniae Glutinosae, Radix, Sheng Di Huang 30g
15.) Asari, Herba cum Radice, Xi Xin 30g
16.) Myrrha, Mo Yao 30g
17.) Citri Reticulatae Viride, Pericarpium, Qing Pi 30g
18.) Radix et Rhizoma Rhei, Da Huang 30g
19.) Sappan, Lignum, Su Mu 30g

Put all ingredients in a gallon GLASS jar and mix with any of the following:
Vodka
Rum
Or Rubbing Alcohol
To save money you can mix the Rubbing Alcohol with the Vodka or Rum .
Let the contents sit in a cool dark place for a minimum of six (6) weeks.
Shake the contents everyday for those first six weeks. The longer you let your formula soak in the alcohol the stronger and better it will get.
This Jow is a great All purpose Jow for Iron-Palm training. Rub a small amount on hands before each set of strikes, and then after the last set. Your hands will feel fine by the next day ready for you striking procedures again.
This jow is also great for Meditations. Rub some jow on your hands before you start your meditation and then a small amount afterwards. This will greatly enhance your meditations and the effect they will have on you.
“Note this Formula is for External Use Only”

Great Mender

White Belt
Reaction score
The following is from a book which should be on every martial artist’s bookshelf:

A Tooth from the Tiger’s Mouth
By Tom Bisio

Although each kung fu school prides itself on having a unique formula that is superior to all others, most trauma liniments are fairly similar. All contain ingredients that stop pain, reduce swelling and inflammation, and disperse stagnant qi and blood. The following recipe makes a good-quality trauma liniment that is effective for treating a wide variety of sports injuries. In this formula, cooling and warming herbs are carefully balanced so that the cooling herbs reduce inflammation and swelling as effectively as ice, while the warming herbs kill pain, promote circulation, and break up accumulations of blood and fluids.

Trauma Liniment – External Use Only
12 grams Da Huang
12 grams Zhi Zi
12 grams Hong Hua
12 grams Huang Bai
12 grams Mo Yao
12 grams Ru Xiang
12 grams Xue Jie
12 grams Lu Lu Tong
12 grams Dang Gui Wei

This recipe makes one gallon of trauma liniment. The herbs will have already been dried or otherwise prepared by the Chinese pharmacy or herb supplier. Simply put the herbs in a jar with one gallon of vodka or rice wine (80-100 proof).

Latest Discussions