Dit Da Jow

starguard1

White Belt
Reaction score
The following is from a book which I purchased while in China (1997). The formulas (recipes) are based upon the clinical experience of a traditional doctor's family. Personally, I have found the formulas to be highly effective, therefore, I refer to it quite often. However, I have no experience with this formula.

Effective Chinese Recipes
Shandong Science and Technology Press
First Edition 1996

Medicinal Wine for Trauma

Indications:
Traumatic injury with redness and swelling, fracture of bones.

Prescription:
Ren Sheng (Radix Codonopsis Pilosulae) 24g,
Ji Xue Teng (Caulis Spatholobi) 24g,
He Shou Wu (Radix Polygoni Multiflori) 24g,
Gou Qi Zi (Fructus Lycii) 24g,
Cao Wu (Prepared)(Radix Aconiti Kusnezoffii) 12g,
Qian Cao (Radix Rubiae) 12g,
Dang Gui (Radix Angelicae Sinensis) 12g,
Bai Shao (Radix Paeoniae Alba) 12g,
Mu Gua (Fructus Chaenomelis) 12g,
Chuan Xiong (Rhizoma Ligustici Chuanxiong) 6g,
Ru Xiang (Resina Boswelliae Carterii) 6g,
Mo Yao (Commiphora Myrrha) 6g,
white wine 1000g.

Administration:
Soak the above ingredients in the wine for 7 days. Apply the medicated wine to the affected place with a piece of absorbent cotton 3 times a day. In the case of severe injury or bone fracture, the cotton absorbed with wine may be left on the affected area with a dressing which is removed in 2 hours. The cotton may be applied 3 to 4 times a day or more frequently in accordance with the severity of cases.

Caution: The wine is not to be taken by mouth, nor can it be in contact with open cut in the skin.

Enjoy!!!!!!

OP
S

starguard1

White Belt
Reaction score
For those interested in Dit Da Jow, I found this and many more at: Ancient Way Martial Arts Formulas

Dit Da Jow "Iron Palm" Formula Dry Herbs for 1 Gallon
pixel_trans.gif

This is a compliation of many Jow formulas with the endangered species and toxic heavy metals taken out. It is a good general purpose Jow for Iron Palm, bruise healing, pain reducing, and circulation enhancing. Instructions are posted for 2 ways of making 1 gallon of the Jow. For making approximately 1 gallon

Fu Zi--30 gm (1 oz. is 28 gm. For convenience, we say 30 gm)
Ban Xia--30 gm
Di Gu Pi--60 gm
Bai Bu--60 gm
Long Gu--30 gm (optional--this is heat-treated cow bone (dragon bone))
Tian Nan Xing--30 gm
Hong Hua--30 gm
She Chuang Zi--30 gm
Chuan Xiong--30 gm
San Qi--15 gm
Xue Jie--30 gm
Ru Xiang--30 gm
Mo Yao--30 gm
Ding Xiang--30 gm
Dang Gui--30 gm
Da Huang--15 gm
Add separately after cooking:
Camphor/Borneol Crystals--15 gm
Menthol Crystals--15 gm

The simple quick method for making this is to bring the herbs to a rolling boil in 1/2 gallon of water, simmer for 30 minutes (covered), cool, add 1/2 gallon of 95% alcohol (Everclear, grain alcohol) into a large glass jar with the herbs (or split it into 2-4 smaller glass containers), shake, and leave it on a dark shelf (or bury it in the earth) for as long as you're willing--from 1 week to 2 months. Then strain, squeeze, and bottle for use.

The slower method:
Put the herbs, preferrably powdered, into 1-4 different glass containers (we like quart glass jars) and cover with a 30-50% alcohol (vodka, Everclear/water mix, distilled rice wine, or sake/vodka/grain alcohol mix). Put it on a dark shelf or bury it, leave it for 6-12 months. Strain off the alcohol and press the herbs in a muslin bag or pillowcase to get all of the liquid possible out, then bottle the Jow for use.

Bodhisattva

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Tiger Balm is the best rub I know of.. Here is the official recipe so you can make your own.

Tiger Balm

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The white and red versions of Haw Par Tiger Balm.
Tiger Balm is the trade name for a heat rub manufactured and distributed by Haw Par Healthcare in Singapore. It was originally developed by the brothers Aw Boon Haw and Aw Boon Par.
Tiger Balm Recipe: Ingredients: % by weight amt. needed for 56oz. batch
Melt beeswax and petroleum jelly in a pot until completely liquified. Remove from heat, quickly stir in camphor blocks (may help to chop or grate camphor). Add rest of ingredients, stir until consistent, and camphor has melted. Pour into permanent container, and let congeal. The above recipe will make a nice tiger balm equivalent to the commercial white stuff. If ammonium hydroxide is added, it turns red, and adds a little more heat to it.

OP
S

starguard1

White Belt
Reaction score
I found this on another website:

Dit Da Jow means: "Iron Hit Wine" It is a linament based in wine that is used in the striking practice of the Iron Palm Techniques or other strengthening exercises.

Listed below are the 14 different herbs used for a very effective recipe for the Dit Da Jow that I personally make and promote to my students. I have sampled and used all different forms of Dit Da Jow liniments, made by other schools and trained herbal doctors, and this recipe is one of the best that I have found. It is important that you follow the directions carefully for both making and using any Dit Da Jow liniment. The 14 listed herbs are:

Chi Shao
Xue Jie
Pu Huang
Mo Yao
San Qi
Hong Hua
Ru Xiang
Dang Gui
Mu Xiang
Tao Ren
Ding Xiang
Da Huang
Zhang Nao
Ma Qian Zi

Important Notes!!!

Once you have gathered the herbs listed above in their proper quantities, crush them into a coarse powder. Do not grind them down to a fine powder; the powder should be course to keep the powder from adhering to itself. Place one ounce of each herb into a large, nonmetallic cooking pot, and add one quart of vodka. Seal the mixture in an air tight jar. Store this in a cool, dark place for at least two months, preferably one year, as the longer it ages, the more potent it becomes.

When making a potent remedy for your training methods always remember that you MUST keep all of the linament away from your mouth and any cuts and abrasions. It is a very poisonous remedy with these last few ingredients. The poisonous combinations start at Tao Ren.....etc.

MAKE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Place one ounce of each herb into a large, nonmetallic cooking pot, and add one quart of vodka. Seal the mixture in an air tight jar.

Why do you need to put it in a cooking pot when you are just going to seal it in a jar? :idunno:

When making a potent remedy for your training methods always remember that you MUST keep all of the linament away from your mouth and any cuts and abrasions. It is a very poisonous remedy with these last few ingredients.

Sheesh, seems a little dangerous for a muscle liniment. Are you sure you should be reposting supposedly poisonous recipes from some unnamed website?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I get my Dit Da Jow form Wing Lam. Thanks for the information. I may try my hand at making some.

towknee

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wow, Dit Da Jow homebrew. Now how cool is that?! Can we expect a cook-off?

I get my Dit Da Jow from www.drzeelo.com/medicine_thc.html

It works for general discomfort and swelling but I kinda doubt any vodka content.

I copied the notes to pass on to a buddy.
Thank you very much.

DaleDugas

My door is always open.
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is funny that people start to flex their google fu strength and post formulas.

There are basically two different forms of medicinal liniments that are used by Chinese martial artists. You have injury dit da jow/tieh da jiu/die da jow/tieh da jow, etc... that is formulated to help deal with various injuries. Some formulas are very generic and others have been designed with rather specific modalities in mind. Hence if you do not know what the formula was designed to do in the first place you might find that it does not work for the problem you are experiencing.

The other form of medicinal liniment is used for Iron Palm and Iron Body training. These formulas are not the same as injury formulas and anyone telling you so is misinformed. Different herbs to do different things. They are not designed to do the same thing and will have a similar foundational formula that is supplemented with other unique herbs to foster success in Iron Palm/ Iron Body training.

I have a few different injury formulas that I make and sell and both a do it yourself kit as well as premade liniments ready to use. I also supply the best Iron Palm medicine for the money. Beware sellers who offer you mystical formulas or legendary formulas of the masters for large sums of money. They are ripping you off. When you purchase an herbal kit from me, you get 4-5 pounds of ground herbs which makes 3-4 gallons of medicine. No one else seems to want or even attempt to offer that to people.

Wing Lam is decent but what they are selling it for when examined in the long run can be considered cost uneffective. Thats why I started my company to offer people the best medicine for the best price.

Any questions feel free to ask me. I will help you if I can.

P.S. as a side note be very careful of formulas that contain toxic ingredients. They are usually very powerful as well as dangerous if ingested and to use around pets, children and pregnant women. Nothing to play with or joke about.

OP
S

starguard1

White Belt
Reaction score
I found this on another website:

Dit Da Jow means: "Iron Hit Wine" It is a linament based in wine that is used in the striking practice of the Iron Palm Techniques or other strengthening exercises.

Listed below are the 14 different herbs used for a very effective recipe for the Dit Da Jow that I personally make and promote to my students. I have sampled and used all different forms of Dit Da Jow liniments, made by other schools and trained herbal doctors, and this recipe is one of the best that I have found. It is important that you follow the directions carefully for both making and using any Dit Da Jow liniment. The 14 listed herbs are:

Chi Shao
Xue Jie
Pu Huang
Mo Yao
San Qi
Hong Hua
Ru Xiang
Dang Gui
Mu Xiang
Tao Ren
Ding Xiang
Da Huang
Zhang Nao
Ma Qian Zi

Important Notes!!!

Once you have gathered the herbs listed above in their proper quantities, crush them into a coarse powder. Do not grind them down to a fine powder; the powder should be course to keep the powder from adhering to itself. Place one ounce of each herb into a large, nonmetallic cooking pot, and add one quart of 90+ proof vodka. Simmer slowly over low fire for 3 ½ hours. Remove from heat and pour the contents into a two gallon air tight jar along with 6 quarts of vodka. Seal the mixture and store it in a cool, dark place for at least two months, preferably one year, as the longer it ages, the more potent it becomes.

When making a potent remedy for your training methods always remember that you MUST keep all of the linament away from your mouth and any cuts and abrasions. It is a very poisonous remedy with these last few ingredients. The poisonous combinations start at Tao Ren.....etc.

MAKE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Sorry, for leaving out the cooking step. Here are the complete directions:

Once you have gathered the herbs listed above in their proper quantities, crush them into a coarse powder. Do not grind them down to a fine powder; the powder should be course to keep the powder from adhering to itself. Place one ounce of each herb into a large, nonmetallic cooking pot, and add one quart of 90+ proof vodka. Simmer slowly over low fire for 3 ½ hours. Remove from heat and pour the contents into a two gallon air tight jar along with 6 quarts of vodka. Seal the mixture and store it in a cool, dark place for at least two months, preferably one year, as the longer it ages, the more potent it becomes.

OP
S

starguard1

White Belt
Reaction score
Dale,

Can the medicinal wines that you produce be used internally too, or are they strictly for external use only?

With Dignity and Honor,
Robert,

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is funny that people start to flex their google fu strength and post formulas.

There are basically two different forms of medicinal liniments that are used by Chinese martial artists. You have injury dit da jow/tieh da jiu/die da jow/tieh da jow, etc... that is formulated to help deal with various injuries. Some formulas are very generic and others have been designed with rather specific modalities in mind. Hence if you do not know what the formula was designed to do in the first place you might find that it does not work for the problem you are experiencing.

The other form of medicinal liniment is used for Iron Palm and Iron Body training. These formulas are not the same as injury formulas and anyone telling you so is misinformed. Different herbs to do different things. They are not designed to do the same thing and will have a similar foundational formula that is supplemented with other unique herbs to foster success in Iron Palm/ Iron Body training.

I have a few different injury formulas that I make and sell and both a do it yourself kit as well as premade liniments ready to use. I also supply the best Iron Palm medicine for the money. Beware sellers who offer you mystical formulas or legendary formulas of the masters for large sums of money. They are ripping you off. When you purchase an herbal kit from me, you get 4-5 pounds of ground herbs which makes 3-4 gallons of medicine. No one else seems to want or even attempt to offer that to people.

Wing Lam is decent but what they are selling it for when examined in the long run can be considered cost uneffective. Thats why I started my company to offer people the best medicine for the best price.

Any questions feel free to ask me. I will help you if I can.

P.S. as a side note be very careful of formulas that contain toxic ingredients. They are usually very powerful as well as dangerous if ingested and to use around pets, children and pregnant women. Nothing to play with or joke about.
i plan to buy some soon, i know ive said that I would and havent but I ran into a little money shortage with christmas and everything but I plan to get some as soon as I start my second job and get that first paycheck

B

DaleDugas

My door is always open.
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dale,

Can the medicinal wines that you produce be used internally too, or are they strictly for external use only?

With Dignity and Honor,
Robert,

External use only!

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Caution: The wine is not to be taken by mouth, nor can it be in contact with open cut in the skin.

Enjoy!!!!!!

I can't stress this last comment enough....there are two types of this linament one toxic, one not; depending on ingredients left in/out....I used the "toxic" type on my neck after a serious mountain biking accident...I got to close to an area of my neck that gets shaved....no open cuts, no rash marks, no visible means of irritation....my neck got this swelling, very sensitive almost like a burn or blood poisoniing from Bermuda coral...I went to the Dr's and the practitioners there never saw anything like it (I didn't figure it out until I got home) initially they thought it might be shingles....
I got home and looking in the mirror figured out what had happened.....

Be very careful..........Great stuff though!!! I use it with a paper towel (no printing) and apply it to the area then wrap it with plastic wrap to keep it from evaporating to quickly...

OP
S

starguard1

White Belt
Reaction score
Recipe for "Trauma Wine"
Acupuncture Today
October, 2005, Vol. 06, Issue 10
Common Herbs and a Recipe for "Trauma Wine"

By Robert Chu, LAc

A lifelong practice of the martial arts is what led me to the study of traditional Chinese medicine. In martial arts, aside from the artistic perfection of strikes, kicks, joint locking, throwing, and ground fighting, the health-giving benefits of opening up the channels and collaterals for qi flow, and learning meditation to calm the mind, we specialize in trauma (both healing it and inflicting it).

My sifu told me, "It's easy to learn how to injure someone, but it is difficult to learn how to heal someone." How correct he was. A punch to Ren 17 can have devastating effects; a kick to UB 40 can bring an attacker to his knees in practice. As a consequence, in order to survive the training, many martial arts teachers specialize in die da shang ke - literally, "fall and strike traumatology", which are overlapped by TCM's wai ke (external diseases) and gu shang ke (orthopedics and traumatology).

I was fortunate to be able to study the rudiments of die da shang ke under my Wing Chun sifu, Kwan Jong Yuen, and my Hung Ga sifu, Yee Chi Wai. Through the years I also met other famous martial artists and TCM doctors like Kenny Gong, Lui Yon Sang, Chan Tai Shan, and others. My study of martial arts was interspersed with the study of traditional formulas for traumatology, including powders, wines, pastes, decoctions, and pills, along with their applications, modifications and processing. Many martial artists are also known for their specialty in tuina, as basic exercises to develop the body in tuina like Shaolin neigong or yi jin jing are part of the traditional martial arts. These exercises develop the limbs so that a martial artist trained in tuina can produce better results, and a martial artist would probably know the body better than a non-martial artist in movement and cause of injury.

In this article, I would like to introduce how to create a basic die da jiu (fall or strike wine), which can be used as a topical liniment for common contusions and bruises. Here is a list of herbs you will need:
  • ru xiang, 12 grams
  • mo yao, 12 grams
  • chi shao, 12 grams
  • mu xiang, 12 grams
  • hong hua, 9 grams
  • tao ren, 9 grams
  • dang gui wei, 12 grams
  • pu huang, 12 grams
  • da huang tan, 9 grams
  • tian qi, 12 grams
  • xue ji, 9 grams
  • ding xiang, 9 grams
Those of you who know your Bensky formulas might recognize this recipe as very similar to qi li san (seven thousandths of a tael powder) from Liang Fang Ji Ye (Small Collection of Fine Recipes) or even the die da wan from Quan Guo Cheng Yao Chu Fang Ji (Collection of Country's Prepared Herbals), but it addresses pain, blood movement and stops more bleeding. The measurements of the herbs are also different, because this liniment is used externally. This recipe is fine for bruises, minor contusions and sprains, but to make it better, we should modify the recipe according to our uses. For example, if there are broken bones, we should add xu duan, wei ling xian, and tu bie chong. If our focus is pain, add chuan xiong, yan hu suo, yu jin, jiang huang, ji xue teng, san leng,mu tong, dilong, su mu, or wu ling zhi, according to your needs. If there is pain in a certain area, we should add qiang huo (for the upper back), du huo (for the lower back), bai zhi (for the front of the head), tan xiang (for the chest), niu xi (to guide to the lower extremities), or xuan fu hua (to guide upwards). We can even get more specific to use guiding herbs to enter particular channels by choosing herbs that go to that channel. For internal bleeding, add di yu, da ji and xiao ji. To make the recipe more fragrant, add bing pian, she xiang, and su he xiang. To address wind, cold or damp bi, you can also modify it with herbs that expel wind damp, such as fang feng, gui zhi, bai hua she, hu gu, lou shi teng, hai feng teng, wu jia pi, and kuan jin teng. For more traumatic swellings, add ban xia, chuan wu, cao wu, and tian nan xing.

I caution the person who is not knowledgeable in herbology to not put all the ingredients together to form one "super die da jiu." I'm not sure what you would create! Look up the proper dosage of the herbs to use, and choose what you need (and what specific use you have in mind). As background information, sometimes herbs are substituted for one another based on local availability and financial reasons. Be wise in choosing what you need. For example, hu gu (os tigris) may not be available because it is illegal. Wu shao she and bai hua she make fine substitutes (and no, you don't need both), and whichever is less expensive will work fine. Pregnant women should not touch or use this medicine.

All in all, one small recipe can turn into literally thousands of variations from one functional base of herbs. When others boast their secret die da recipe is the original or more secret, they're simply blowing smoke. It depends on the function of the formula. I have a saying: "Let application be your guide; let function rule over form." It is applicable to medicine or martial arts.

You will also need a clean glass gallon bottle or jar, and enough gin or vodka to fill a gallon. You can parch the herbs by pan-frying them (no oil) in a wok or simply toasting all the herbs in a toaster oven to enhance the blood moving effect. There is no need to char them excessively, lest you lose all the active ingredients. Place the herbs in the container and pour the alcohol over the herbs. The alcohol used should always be of good drinking quality (ethyl alcohol), in cases where traumatic injury may be also internal. Beware of going the cheap route with isopropyl alcohol; you are simply making a poison batch of die da jiu. Traditionally, we never use isopropyl alcohol.

Seal the container so that it is airtight, then date and mark the bottle, and store in a dark place. Shake the bottle occasionally. In 3 to 4 months, your die da jiu will be ready and will be superior to any on the market, because you made it and you know specifically what you designed it for.

The herbal wine you created can be used simply by massaging it into the affected area, or for use with tuina. You can also use the wine in the technique of fire cupping (hou guan) by placing a small amount in a cup - just enough to wet the bottom, spread evenly and lit, then applied to the affected area. In doing this, I would caution that practice and common sense be your guide, lest you burn and scar your patient, and have a nice liability lawsuit on your hands.

This is a brief introduction to die da shang ke and the common herbs used. In future articles, I will focus on plasters, pills, decoctions, their applications and modifications, and how to create them.

Editor’s note: If you would like to comment on this article, please contact Acupuncture Today by fax (714-899-4273) or e-mail at [email protected] . You are also encouraged to discuss this article online at www.AcupunctureToday.com/forums.

OP
S

starguard1

White Belt
Reaction score
Those interested in internal medicines can use the following formula as a guide to making bolus's (herbal pills). They are rather simple to make using raw herbs and honey.

Golden Flow Chinese Herbs

Trauma 2 Formula (tablets)

• Pinyin: Die Da Hao Fang
Ingredients
Radix Angelicae Sinensis (Tang Kuei Root / Dang Gui) 9%
Gummi Olibanum (Frankincense / Ru Xiang) 9%
Myrrha (Myrrh / Mo Yao) 9%
Radix Cyathulae Officinalis (Sichuan Ox Knee Root / Chuan Niu Xi) 9%
Radix Ledebouriellae Divaricatae (Siler Root / Fang Feng) 9%
Radix et Caulis Spatholobus (Spatholobus Root and Vine / Ji (Xue Teng) 9%
Radix Paeoniae Rubrae (Red peony Root / Chi Shao) 9%
Sclerotium Poriae Cocos (Hoelen, Tuckahoe, Poria Sclerotium / Fu Ling) 8%
Flos Carthami Tinctorii (Safflower, Carthamus Flower / Hong Hua) 7%
Lignum Sappan (Sappan Wood / Su Mu) 6%
Radix Notoginseng (Notoginseng Root, Pseudoginseng / San Qi, Tian Qi) 5%
Radix Angelicae Dahuricae (Chinese Angelica Root / Bai Zhi) 4%
Radix et Rhizoma Rhei (Rhubarb Root and Rhizome / Da Huang) 4%
Radix Glycyrrhizae Uralensis (Licorice Root / Gan Cao) 3%

Chinese Medical Actions
Moves blood, dispels stasis, relieves pain, dispels wind and dampness, clears heat.

Indications
Bruises
Cartilage damage
Fractures or broken bones
Jammed fingers or toes
Ligaments or tendons, torn
Sprains
Traumatic injury (second stage) w/ stiffness and pain

Contraindications
DO NOT USE DURING PREGNANCY OR WHILE NURSING.

Note
Second-stage trauma can start from two days to ten days after the injury and could last from several days to several weeks. The timeframe depends on the extent of the injury and the healing potential of the patient.

OP
S

starguard1

White Belt
Reaction score
Those interested in internal medicines can use the following formula as a guide to making bolus's (herbal pills). They are rather simple to make using raw herbs and honey.

Trauma 1 Formula (tablets)

• Pinyin: Die Da Hao Fang
Ingredients
Semen Persicae (Peach Kernel, Persica Seed / Tao Ren) 12%
Fructus Forsythiae Suspensae (Forsythia Fruit / Lian Qiao) 12%
Flos Lonicerae Japonicae (Honeysuckle Flower, Lonicera / Jin Yin Hua) 12%
Flos Carthami Tinctorii (Safflower, Carthamus Flower / Hong Hua) 10%
Gummi Olibanum (Frankincense / Ru Xiang) 9%
Myrrha (Myrrh / Mo Yao) 9%
Radix Scutellariae Baicalensis (Skullcap Root, Scutellaria, Scute / Huang Qin) 8%
Radix Angelicae Sinensis (Tang Kuei Root / Dang Gui) 8%
Radix Bupleuri (Bupleurum Root / Chai Hu) 8%
Radix et Rhizoma Rhei (Rhubarb Root and Rhizome / Da Huang) 5%
Radix Angelicae Dahuricae (Chinese Angelica Root / Bai Zhi) 4%
Radix Glycyrrhizae Uralensis (Licorice Root / Gan Cao) 3%

Chinese Medical Actions
Clears heat, resolves toxin, relieves pain, moves blood, dispels stasis.

Indications
Bruises
Cartilage damage
Fractures or broken bones
Jammed fingers or toes
Ligaments or tendons, torn
Sprains
Traumatic injury (first stage) with heat, swelling, and pain

Contraindications
DO NOT USE DURING PREGNANCY OR WHILE NURSING.

Note
The first stage of trauma can last from several hours to a week or so depending on the severity of the injury. As long as redness, heat, and swelling exist one can assume that the injury is still in the first stage of recovery.

OP
S

starguard1

White Belt
Reaction score
I can't stress this last comment enough....there are two types of this linament one toxic, one not; depending on ingredients left in/out....I used the "toxic" type on my neck after a serious mountain biking accident...I got to close to an area of my neck that gets shaved....no open cuts, no rash marks, no visible means of irritation....my neck got this swelling, very sensitive almost like a burn or blood poisoniing from Bermuda coral...I went to the Dr's and the practitioners there never saw anything like it (I didn't figure it out until I got home) initially they thought it might be shingles....
I got home and looking in the mirror figured out what had happened.....

Be very careful..........Great stuff though!!! I use it with a paper towel (no printing) and apply it to the area then wrap it with plastic wrap to keep it from evaporating to quickly...

Yes, you did the right thing!!!!!!

Always be very careful when applying ANY product to your body. For example, I have had patients report to me that they experienced allergic reactions and chemical burns from FDA approved over-the-counter products such as BenGay, Theragesic etc. Obviously, some people are more chemically sensitive than other people. Therefore, no product herbal or otherwise is perfectly safe for everyone. So, in other words, just because a product is FDA approved or because your sifu says that his Dit Da Jow formula has been used by a thousand people doesn't mean that it is perfectly safe for "everyone". Please remember when applying ANY product to your body, for ANY reason, and something does not feel or look right after applying it--use common sense. Wash it off, immediately!!!!!!!! And, if necessary, seek medical attention.

OP
S

starguard1

White Belt
Reaction score
Please read the label before using any commercial (pre-made) product, including herbal based ones such as Dit Da Jow etc. Their labels must list all ingredients. For the safety of you and others, please notify the FDA Office of Compliance regarding products not in compliance with the labeling rules.

New OTC (over the counter) drug labeling rules:
Everyone has to start printing labels in accordance with the new OTC drug rules no later than May 16, 2005. Every product must list ALL ingredients, including toothpaste and sunscreen. The only exception are convenience size products. That is - products that have less than 3 doses, such as product samples or aspirin sold at airports where there are less than 3 doses. All other OTC drug products must list ALL ingredients. The only problem that one might have is if they bought a product where the label was printed prior to 5-16-05. One would not be sure that it listed all products. Once all old products are no longer on the shelves, we will be safe to assume that the label lists all ingredients.
The regulations for labeling of OTC drug products are found in 21 CFR 201.66.
Click here to access the CFR online. From there, choose Part 200-299, then Part 201, then 201.66.
Click here for the OTC drug product labeling requirements.
Click here for this second link which provides for the partial delay of compliance dates for "convenience size" products.
Click here for the publicly available web site that contains information that you may find useful:
Leah A. Christl, Ph.D.
[email protected]
Regulatory Project Manager
Division of Over-the-Counter Drug Products HFD-560
Center for Drug Evaluation and Research
U.S. Food and Drug Administration

Important Phone Numbers:
Office of Nonprescription Products
301-796-2060
Office of Compliance
301-827-8910

OP
S

starguard1

White Belt
Reaction score
I have used Dr. Shir's Liniment the past 10 years for my own martial arts injuries and on patients in my clinic.

Handed down for generations, this formula was passed on to us by the late Dr. Shi Neng-Yun. It is suitable for joints, tendons, ligaments and other areas where massage is impractical or contraindicated. Excellent for jammed fingers or toes, or sprains and strains where the skin is not broken. http://216.92.12.246/product9.html

As you can see, the Dit Da Jow (Iron Hit Wine) which I posted earlier uses all but two of the ingredients of Dr. Shir's Liniment. Therefore, Dr. Shir's Liniment is the base formula for Dit Da Jow (Iron Hit Wine).

Dit Da Jow (Iron Hit Wine)........... Dr Shir's Liniment

Chi Shao
Xue Jie
Pu Huang
Mo Yao............................................... Mo Yao
San Qi
Hong Hua ...........................................Hong Hua
Ru Xiang............................................. Ru Xiang
Dang Gui .............................................Dang Gui
Mu Xiang
Tao Ren............................................... Tao Ren
Ding Xiang
Da Huang............................................. Da Huang
Zhang Nao........................................... Zhang Nao
Ma Qian Zi
..................................................Tian Nan Xing
..................................................Yu Jin

Since Dr. Shir's Liniment is a wonderful product and the modifications appear reasonable, it looks like Dit Da Jow (Iron Hit Wine) is going to be my first home brew!