Distance while sparring

OP
T

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
In a street encounter I would use anything I could to escape without losing my life and if that included a kick to the groin then so be it! However when sparring its not really allowed and there are always rules in sparring and tournaments as what you can and cannot do! I agree that he should have blocked it! But I'm glad I'm getting better and I am managing to get some good kicks in! I have good flexibility but I have to learn to make it work for me!

B

babaker

Learn not to telegraph your moves.

Yeah, it is an old, old story, having your opponent read your intentions, let alone your movements by the little "... Get ready ... get set ... now strike out!" movements that send them a telegram that you are coming.

Some of these movements can be fixed by practice on the heavy bag, and some of them are by fixing your state of mind and how you fight. Prethinking that you want to kick, then setting up the kick may not as effective as thinking about punching but automatically kicking when an opening appears. Sometimes the old ways are the best ways to pick apart a fighting style, especially your own. Use a video of yourself and a partner,and pick apart the mistakes and strengths of each participant. When that isn't enough, pick apart the telegraph movements one by one that mislead or alert your opponent to your intentions, misleading being good because it confuses, eh?

Well, without seeing how you spar, and watching an opponent pick out your weakness, or strengths, that is about all I can think of to start your journey.

Try it ... hey your shoe is untied ... and learn if you are responding to the old tricks or they are.

Have fun, catch ya later.

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
One of my early problems with my side kick was the targeting. Once I started to target the kick as if I were trying to hit my opponents spine instead of his stomach it made the difference. Penetration is very important. You have to commit on that kick.

You could try as a set up... fake a high chambered front kick then quickly turn into a deep thrusting side kick.
Or fake a low foot sweep then stick the side kick in the ribs.

Mix it up a little.

Latest Discussions