Distance Learning?

• Thread starter Crouching Tiger
  • Start date
C

Crouching Tiger

Greetings, brothers and sisters:
This is my first posting. I am a beginner. It is highly likely there is already a thread on the subject, but here goes :-

While browsing the internet for Kung Fu sites, I was drawn to a site that offers distance classes for home study and practice; apparently without a personal teacher. Immediately I became dubious about this, and while I just enrolled in a certified school locally, and have no need for such a thing, I was wondering if some of you could give your opinions on the matter of MA distance learning.

Once again, greetings!

:asian:

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I think it is very possible to learn movements from a video course, even learn forms, however the application seems lost. Especially in a system like preying mantis so much relies on feeling and being able to yield and catch the others person center. I believe this can only be learned by actually doing it with another person. A video series, even the most comprehensive and complete, still lacks the contact you get from another human being. It also leaves you to decipher some things for yourself. What about a certain technique that when applied the person reacts in just a slightly different way, what then? Its good to have an instructor who can say, just change it a little to this way.
I think a video series leaves you lacking severely in application and feeling. But, this is just my humble opinion.

7sm

OP
C

Crouching Tiger

Thank you both! I did read some of the posted threads given me, and I would agree with them, and 7starmantis, that some things can be learned by video. However, as you state, 7sm, another person creates dynamics that your shadow just cannot. Plus, the instructor present, keeps the guidance.

Really, the only thing I have a difficult time understanding is the certification part. I guess the test would be shot on video, and returned to the school for judging. While that can be made to work, the inter-personal relationship with one's teacher a student receives at the kwoon just simply would not be as dynamic, and productive.

Opinion only ;)

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Crouching Tiger
Really, the only thing I have a difficult time understanding is the certification part. I guess the test would be shot on video, and returned to the school for judging. While that can be made to work, the inter-personal relationship with one's teacher a student receives at the kwoon just simply would not be as dynamic, and productive.

Opinion only ;)

Yeah, and in more advanced tests, you couldn't get the fighting in either, or any application to the techniques.

7sm

OP
K

Kroy

It makes it alot easier (distance training) if you are already a member at one of your local schools. Many of the basics and hands on training will help you understand.

Trent

Green Belt
Reaction score
You can learn, but as previously stated, what may be learned is certainly limited. The best method is to supplement your current "hands on" training with some video instruction, or just use video to see what other arts are doing as far as basic strategy, tactics or training methods. Sometimes it may be the only way to expose yourself to the more unique arts to see if you may be interested.

Latest Discussions