distance learning, anyone?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I’m sorry, I do not mean to sound rude, condescending or unsupportive here but this is beginning to sound like another "just discovered secret and most deadly art known to man" home study program.

And as to what you could do to better market it to me, to be honest there is nothing you could do, I would not be interested in a MA home study program.

Sorry

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm a video student with the IKCA, in addition to holding a 3rd Dan in another system. Admittedly, I didn't start from absolute beginner when I started distance learning through the IKCA - because I had previous knowledge. I've been with the IKCA since 2004, and I'm taking my time with each belt rank and supplementing with private lessons from Grand Master Vic Le Roux when I can. I also try to pick the brain of Dr. Chapel, Master Armando Deloa, Mr. Jerry Brooksher, and a couple of other individuals as often as possible. I work with live body partners, and my students. I strike a dummy to build power while working on accuracy. I spar as frequently as my back allows.

My area doesn't offer any decent kenpo, and the closest facility where I'd consider studying is more than an hour away. So I called and spoke with several of the organizations that offered distance learning and I chose to go with the IKCA for distance learning because of the testing process - they evaluate each test and send back between a 1/2 hour to a 1.5 hour private lesson with each test. I've been very happy with the results thus far. 2/5 don't pass their orange belt test with the IKCA, and it gets harder as you go up the scale.

My take on video learning is you will get out of it what you put in to it. No substitute for live one on one - but if you're like me and wanted to study kenpo - and no decent kenpo within what I consider reasonable distance - I did my research and chose my teachers.

I hope you have as positive an experience. I can't thank the IKCA Founders enough for what they've made available to me.

OP
M

martialart-expert

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Xue Sheng.
I don't wanna advertize for this MA and you don't need to appologize for anything. I only said said that it rocks from the SD point of view. I came to this conclusion from my own street experience+Leung Ting's WinTsun(one of many VingTsun derivatives). I believe (not claim) that the master this MA would beat any of those WT sifus(wich I personally have an absolute respect for) out on the street or in their own WT fighter-club(also in terms of pure fistfighting/nonwrestling). Why cause of the testimonials for the related MA of WT fighter who claimed to be train under Leung Ting himselv and some other WTists. I consider myself a WTist too. But I didn't claim that this MA was "the deadliest art of 'em all" or a cure from all deseases. I train this distantly because of 2 reasons: I wanna train particularily THIS art, and THIS art is not even in the country I live.This art can somehow be compared to Aiki Jujutsu in it's original form. Why do I think I could learn the style from the distance. that's because you don need to memorize at what angle you need to Baldoug Dolyo Chagi (round kick in TKD), it's more pricip-oriented like Akido and WT. I do not wanna proove to you anything. I believe there're lots of misspelling in my text, sorry. See ya.:ultracool

OP
M

martialart-expert

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Steve.
Can you tell a little bit more about what exactly does this Kenpo distance learning so good that you still have it?
You get a test eval. 0.5-1.5 hours after you send it to them. How are you tested, do you send a video, do you answer the questions, or...? Can you describe it. Is there any standard/scale/norm for an eval. procedure so you know on wich things you need to accent your attention? What other features are there. I do not think the MA, I'm talking about, will interfere/compete with Kenpo, cause "so called in this case my" MA is neither Kenpo or Karate nor JiuJitsu. Can you please give me a link to this Kenpo school so I can see their distant learning schedule. I would like to show it to the master of "my" MA. I do although have 2 selfish thoughts%-} bout my MA! HE HE HE!!! I wanna learn it really good, and then I wanna become an instructor in it if I'll visit the school for real!
Thanks man.:ultracool

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hi Xue Sheng.
I don't wanna advertize for this MA and you don't need to appologize for anything. I only said said that it rocks from the SD point of view. I came to this conclusion from my own street experience+Leung Ting's WinTsun(one of many VingTsun derivatives). I believe (not claim) that the master this MA would beat any of those WT sifus(wich I personally have an absolute respect for) out on the street or in their own WT fighter-club(also in terms of pure fistfighting/nonwrestling). Why cause of the testimonials for the related MA of WT fighter who claimed to be train under Leung Ting himselv and some other WTists. I consider myself a WTist too. But I didn't claim that this MA was "the deadliest art of 'em all" or a cure from all deseases. I train this distantly because of 2 reasons: I wanna train particularily THIS art, and THIS art is not even in the country I live.This art can somehow be compared to Aiki Jujutsu in it's original form. Why do I think I could learn the style from the distance. that's because you don need to memorize at what angle you need to Baldoug Dolyo Chagi (round kick in TKD), it's more pricip-oriented like Akido and WT. I do not wanna proove to you anything. I believe there're lots of misspelling in my text, sorry. See ya.:ultracool

Forgive my cynicism, and I do not mean to offend, but I have just run into things that sound similar to this way too much. So it is probably best I bow out of your post.

Enjoy your training. :asian:

OP
M

martialart-expert

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Xue Sheng.
I do fully understand you because I've also met such kind of people you're talking about myself.

airdawg

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You have to be extreemly careful with any distance learning.

The closest I've come to distance learning was monthly seminars and lessons, because the instructor lived about 500 miles away from me. It worked out great, but I had physical contact with several other students that were attending the seminars and the monthly seminar that was usualy 4 to 8 hours long and sometimes two days of 16 hours. Besides that, I had already studied kenpo for several years and held the rank of 1st degree black belt before I began my "distance learning"

I think it would take at least twice as much time, research, practice, dedication, effort and you would make double the mistakes through distance learning than if you were learning from a formal, or informal instructor. Just be careful not to be taken advantage of.

One last thing. What is the point of having a "black belt", or certification if some teenage punk steals you lunch money anyway?

airdawg

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Pour nada! What specific style are interested in training?

OP
M

martialart-expert

White Belt
Reaction score
It's a jujutsu/akido/tantojutsu/escrimalike style. It is a complete selfdefence style (versus noncomplete ones TKD/WT, I trained those, they don't have grappling, allround antigrappling, ground fighting, weapon defence, defence against multiple opponents). But the style is noneastasean, nonMMA. This style is an old one. when you're thinking of most common styles wich are nonMMA and noneastasean you have greek roman wrestling, glima, swiss wrestling(believed to be one of the glima variants) , anglo-american catch wrestling(catch as catch can), old english boxing(with grappling),stick fighting, savate, capoera, french fencing, modern boxing, freestyle wrestling (based on an old roman one). None of those styles are related to my style. Although one of the styles above mentioned has the common history and origin. There're some historical noneastasean styles wich I didn't mention with a purpose.

OP
M

martialart-expert

White Belt
Reaction score
It's a western medieval MA. I can't tell the name for 2 reasons. The fist one is that many guys saw my hiding of the name as yet another commercial. That's why I cannot post the name of the MA here. The other reason is that I don't want to discredit the style I train in any way. At least not until they promote themselves outside their own country or maybe kick me out of their school. I just want to help their school because I like their philosophy(not only in MA). That's why I asked bout dist. learning. I'm not an employee of their school. I'm just a MA student. And I don't get money from them. Soon (this year I believe) they promote themselves. I'm helping them somehow to promote themselves. So sure I want you to know not only the name of their MA but also everything else related to the style. It won't be necessary for me to tell any names. There is nothing extraordinary about this MA. Some other MA are much greater from SD point of view. So forgive me and don't be angry with me no matter how selfish my behaviour might seem in this situation.
Thank you for your interest.:) :) :)

Latest Discussions