Dismissed from a Taekwondo club, what to do?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
stating something "is obvious" regarding a person you do not know anything about, gives an impression of immaturity.

Obviously you feel insulted for some weird reason when someone says something negative about MMA.
You are wrong, I have been training martial arts for 27 years, and I do train MMA, but my teacher is a Kyokushin black belt and Sambo instructor. so he has a Martial artists mentality.
He makes sure that everyone follows rules of ethics and behavior inside and outside the Dojo.

I dont know why you take it personally, the fact is that many MMA places are full of guys who just want to get into fights. so when i say it's just brawling, I refer to the mental aspect of it, not the technical aspect.

MMA teaches martial arts techniques, not martial arts etiquette and philosophy. do you disagree with that as well? and by MMA I do not mean JiuJitsu schools, I mean MMA gyms where all they do is learn is how to fight without any of the martial arts codes.

of course there are some MMA teachers who are the exception, but it's more common than not that MMA gyms only dedicate themselves to teaching how to fight and not care what the students do outside of the gym. thus many MMA guys are just brawlers learning martial arts techniques.
That's not the description I get from anyone I know (here or otherwise) who trains MMA. It's not the same environment at most places as you'd get in a TMA school, but it seems (again, not my experience, but what I hear from others) that there's a lot of respect and cooperation going on in many MMA gyms.

What's the basis of your blanket statement to the contrary?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am from a Russian background and it's in my culture or a way of life back in Russia that when you go to a shop and ask for help but the salesman says fuk off to you and when approached with American Express he smiles back welcome to mafia 90's gangster corruption 1 million dollar oil refinery worth billions, so when I was being rude in Taekwondo class I was being my self and I can kill a Black belt going by the word of my instructor it's not the belt but how hard you train.
Being yourself doesn't preclude being rude, nor does it excuse it. I know a good many Russians (and others from the former USSR - my wife grew up there). Most are pretty nice people and very respectful, so you can't blame the rudeness on your culture. Your behavior is still your responsibility.

OP
R

Rodger28

White Belt
Reaction score
I am still not taking any action, gaining weight and not really exercising... Was just following the head masters conversation when I was told I can't train any more, I shouldn't really be doing any physical training as it's pretty bad taking in on who I am what I've been through and what happened to me before.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
About 3 years ago I was a red belt and went into training but was loud and behaving inappropriate at front reception with wife of the head of the club 7 or 8th dan master, he's the owner of the club and the highest instructor. I was being aggressive and saying different thing with a very high tone. Then an instructor came out of the training and bowed to me and said something like dismissed. That 7th or 8th dan highest instructor rang my dad and said the people in training found me really loud and something else. And then later I rang him to say sorry but he said that you can't come back to training or something like it will be dangerous for myself to continue training and I shouldn't train. I haven't done any trading or physical activity for 3 years I think, just wondering what to do, and I'm thinking of joining a martial arts club but I have a weak feeling and wanted to continue the training but it's been 3 years.
right , so you lost your temper, which is fine, we all do that from time to time and threatened to hurt people, which is not fine, particularly in a context of MAs. Your culture is not an excuse for this.

have you changed and matured since then, if not you are going to have trouble at any MA club

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am from a Russian background and it's in my culture or a way of life back in Russia that when you go to a shop and ask for help but the salesman says fuk off to you and when approached with American Express he smiles back welcome to mafia 90's gangster corruption 1 million dollar oil refinery worth billions, so when I was being rude in Taekwondo class I was being my self and I can kill a Black belt going by the word of my instructor it's not the belt but how hard you train.
this appears to be one of the plot lines from "Pretty woman" I'm not sure,chick flicks are a good example

OP
R

Rodger28

White Belt
Reaction score
When I stoped training, I went down the lazy road, that's not an excuse? I fell like I'm lazy and don't want to do anything apart from other activities like shopping, eating out, playing games, staying on the bed all the time, ect...

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I stoped training, I went down the lazy road, that's not an excuse? I fell like I'm lazy and don't want to do anything apart from other activities like shopping, eating out, playing games, staying on the bed all the time, ect...
I haven't trained for 3 months now and this is how I feel right now lol.. Time for me to get out of this mode.

Latest Discussions