discussion of techniques

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yiliquan has eight methods of footwork application. Ultimately, none of them matter. While they are learned and practiced separately, the final goal is that they blend into reaction devoid of thought, spurred by the intent of the attacker. Attacking a Yili student is like attacking water... It can either flow around you, splash away from you, or drive through you.

Let's play pretend for a moment...

Using your picture, we will "pretend" that the defender is you (or just the person on the right) and the attacker is the other guy (the gentleman on the left).

I tend to favor rolling over, driving through or destroying/punishing in place. I am heavy enough in stature and solid enough to allow for a good number of inferior techniques to hit me and literally bounce off. No worries.

With that mentality, I (akja, the guy on the right) would slam a left hammerfist down on the radial aspect of the attacker's right arm, simultaneously punching/striking with the right hand to the neck/chest area. I would let the right hand slip under his left arm, wrapping it around to engage him in a reverse arm bar, sliding the left hand up and behind his head to duck his head downward, causing his head to be propelled downward; I would also step with my right foot as I do this, pivoting around to face perpendicularly to the line of attack. I am partial to elbows and knees, so I would assist him in halting his head's downward progress by slowing its descent with my left knee. More can be done, but this is getting long enough to read as it is... ;)

That is only one simple example. It makes use of Heaven, Still and almost Wood Shape of Yiliquan's "Eight Shapes" (Yi Li Ba Xing Quan), the core and hallmark of Yiliquan as a whole.

And just to clarify, Yiliquan is a defensive art. Whenever Chufeng and I are "playing," and I am forced to attack him, I rarely land anything more than a tickling shot. Although he is very senior to me in training, understanding and experience, on the rare occasions when Chufeng launches an attack that I am able to react to, even my miserable techniques allow me to overwhelm him... Of course, that happens rarely if ever, and I usually pay for it dearly afterward... :D He's still pretty potent for an old fart.

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yiliquan1
Yiliquan has eight methods of footwork application. Ultimately, none of them matter. While they are learned and practiced separately, the final goal is that they blend into reaction devoid of thought, spurred by the intent of the attacker. Attacking a Yili student is like attacking water... It can either flow around you, splash away from you, or drive through you.

Let's play pretend for a moment...

Using your picture, we will "pretend" that the defender is you (or just the person on the right) and the attacker is the other guy (the gentleman on the left).

I tend to favor rolling over, driving through or destroying/punishing in place. I am heavy enough in stature and solid enough to allow for a good number of inferior techniques to hit me and literally bounce off. No worries.

With that mentality, I (akja, the guy on the right) would slam a left hammerfist down on the radial aspect of the attacker's right arm, simultaneously punching/striking with the right hand to the neck/chest area. I would let the right hand slip under his left arm, wrapping it around to engage him in a reverse arm bar, sliding the left hand up and behind his head to duck his head downward, causing his head to be propelled downward; I would also step with my right foot as I do this, pivoting around to face perpendicularly to the line of attack. I am partial to elbows and knees, so I would assist him in halting his head's downward progress by slowing its descent with my left knee. More can be done, but this is getting long enough to read as it is... ;)

That is only one simple example. It makes use of Heaven, Still and almost Wood Shape of Yiliquan's "Eight Shapes" (Yi Li Ba Xing Quan), the core and hallmark of Yiliquan as a whole.

And just to clarify, Yiliquan is a defensive art. Whenever Chufeng and I are "playing," and I am forced to attack him, I rarely land anything more than a tickling shot. Although he is very senior to me in training, understanding and experience, on the rare occasions when Chufeng launches an attack that I am able to react to, even my miserable techniques allow me to overwhelm him... Of course, that happens rarely if ever, and I usually pay for it dearly afterward... :D He's still pretty potent for an old fart.

Gambarimasu.

We see things similar or I'd say that I can see what your saying and I like it. It so far fits what I've been exposed to as a parallel art. I'm not saying my art or yours is equal but have similarities from a JKD point of view.

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by chufeng
AKJA,

YiLiQuan is totally defensive in nature...
So we always let the other guy commit before waxing him.
When I said "sweet zone" I was referring to a devastating counterattack...in fact in your picture, I would have already launched, either by completely closing the distance and punishing from the inside, or by "getting firmly behind the attack."
For that "behind the attack" technique, I would seem to disappear...but only for a moment...and then remind you where I am...oops.

chufeng

To clarify.
In the picture, I'm the short one and I am not attacking. The big guy is attempting to grab me and I am demonstrating a natural defensive hand positioning that works well for me to transition into whatever direction the fight goes.

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
What if the attack is a feint to draw you in? Almost all experts initiate feint attack first. The real attack may come after several feint attacks to set you up. How does Yiliquan deal with that?

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sure he'll have an answer. I do understand what they are saying. And that is exactly why I practice so differantly. I am a Gung-Fu man but if your Gung-Fu is good. Why would I try to match it? I could try but I probably wouldn't. My first choice would be to attempt to take the fight in another range. And if they are good there as well, then theres always another range or even back to the original range.

Fighting in combination of ranges is what I stress. Its hard to dictate a fight, so its second best to be competent wherever the fight goes.

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would like to get some input from differant arts on how you would defend against an attacker in a left lead and throwing a right cross.

You can be in a left lead or a right lead or both you could decribe both. What I want to hear is input based on differant arts.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by akja
I would like to get some input from differant arts on how you would defend against an attacker in a left lead and throwing a right cross.

You can be in a left lead or a right lead or both you could decribe both. What I want to hear is input based on differant arts.

Umm ... well, your subject is "haymaker" but your question is "right cross." Which do you want?

I'll go ahead and answer the right cross question with stylistic answer from each of the arts that I teach (note, these aren't necessarily what I would do, though one of them would likely come out of me; but they're really just intended to give you a kind of flavor of each style). I'm going from a right lead in each of these.

Kali:
In & out entry (i.e.: my left is on outside of his arm, my right shoots under and inside, pinning his punch between my left hand and right forearm) with a right finger jab to the throat. Gunting to his right bicep (downward knuckle rake looking for his brachial nerve). Left hand traps his right down, while right moves into a backhand knifehand (angle 2) to his neck, as I step my right foot onto his left foot (the strike lands just after my foot pins his foot and disrupts his balance). From the knifehand, I slap the back of his neck to bring his head forward, then I reverse the motion of my right hand and meet his face with my right elbow, then unfold my elbow to hook the back of his head again. Then puter kepala (head turning throw, my left arm lifts his right arm up and to the right while my right hand tucks his head down and to the left). This should do some serious damage to his left ankle because I've got his foot pinned. Then I draw my weapon and get serious (it is Kali, after all :) )

Silat:
My left hand connects to the inside of his punch and I move my body forward, shunting his punch off to the side with my left hand. My left hand ends behind his neck. I pull his head forward with my left into my right elbow. Unfold my left hand as I step through with my left foot (now my left foot is behind his left foot and my left hip is against his left hip - I monitor his left hand with my right as I step through). Then I do a biset luar (outside rear sweep). As he falls, I bring my right elbow up in a vertical shot to the side of his neck/temple.

Sikal (hybrid of Kali and Silat):
In & out entry with right finger jab to throat. Slide deep, maintaining the pin of his arm between my right & left while I deliver a right vertical elbow to his chin. I unfold my right arm to the right side of his head and pull him slightly forward and down as I step my right foot to the outside of his left foot. I blend my weight into him and do a sapu luar (outside front sweep) to take his left leg out from under him.

Kun Tao Silat:
My right hand on the outside of his punch, I shoot in to hit him with a relaxed palm strike to the face while my right foot moves to the outside of his left foot and my right shin snugs against his left shin. I pivot to my left as I lower my right knee to the floor (through his left shin) to take him down with what we call a "kenjit kaki" (leg compression) in Silat. Groin shot. Leap into the air and come crashing down on his head (monkey energy).

Shen Chuan:
My right hand on the outside of his punch, I shoot in to hit im with a relaxed palm strike (Shen Chuan calls it a "lazy hand" strike) to the Gall Bladder 14 point just above the right eye. Drop my right elbow over his right hand, seat (drop my weight) and pivot to my right, pinning his hand in my right armpit while my left shoots a "burning" punch across his ribs under his arm (I get an incidental hyperextension of his elbow if I do it well). Catch the fingers of his left hand in my left hand, apply a finger lock while simultaneously applying an armbar to his right arm where it's pinned between my chest and right arm. "Shake like a dog" to disrupt his balance while dropping my energy (through the joint locks) toward one of his balance disruption points to drop him to the ground. Then I go home. (One of Shen Chuan's mottos: "Hit hard, hit fast, go to the house.)

Now, obviously, none of these are definitive answers. The opportunities for all these elements may or may not be there. These are simply possibilities intended to provide you with a "flavor" from each art.

Mike

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by pesilat
Umm ... well, your subject is "haymaker" but your question is "right cross." Which do you want?

I'll go ahead and answer the right cross question with stylistic answer from each of the arts that I teach (note, these aren't necessarily what I would do, though one of them would likely come out of me; but they're really just intended to give you a kind of flavor of each style). I'm going from a right lead in each of these.

Kali:
In & out entry (i.e.: my left is on outside of his arm, my right shoots under and inside, pinning his punch between my left hand and right forearm) with a right finger jab to the throat. Gunting to his right bicep (downward knuckle rake looking for his brachial nerve). Left hand traps his right down, while right moves into a backhand knifehand (angle 2) to his neck, as I step my right foot onto his left foot (the strike lands just after my foot pins his foot and disrupts his balance). From the knifehand, I slap the back of his neck to bring his head forward, then I reverse the motion of my right hand and meet his face with my right elbow, then unfold my elbow to hook the back of his head again. Then puter kepala (head turning throw, my left arm lifts his right arm up and to the right while my right hand tucks his head down and to the left). This should do some serious damage to his left ankle because I've got his foot pinned. Then I draw my weapon and get serious (it is Kali, after all :) )

Silat:
My left hand connects to the inside of his punch and I move my body forward, shunting his punch off to the side with my left hand. My left hand ends behind his neck. I pull his head forward with my left into my right elbow. Unfold my left hand as I step through with my left foot (now my left foot is behind his left foot and my left hip is against his left hip - I monitor his left hand with my right as I step through). Then I do a biset luar (outside rear sweep). As he falls, I bring my right elbow up in a vertical shot to the side of his neck/temple.

Sikal (hybrid of Kali and Silat):
In & out entry with right finger jab to throat. Slide deep, maintaining the pin of his arm between my right & left while I deliver a right vertical elbow to his chin. I unfold my right arm to the right side of his head and pull him slightly forward and down as I step my right foot to the outside of his left foot. I blend my weight into him and do a sapu luar (outside front sweep) to take his left leg out from under him.

Kun Tao Silat:
My right hand on the outside of his punch, I shoot in to hit him with a relaxed palm strike to the face while my right foot moves to the outside of his left foot and my right shin snugs against his left shin. I pivot to my left as I lower my right knee to the floor (through his left shin) to take him down with what we call a "kenjit kaki" (leg compression) in Silat. Groin shot. Leap into the air and come crashing down on his head (monkey energy).

Shen Chuan:
My right hand on the outside of his punch, I shoot in to hit im with a relaxed palm strike (Shen Chuan calls it a "lazy hand" strike) to the Gall Bladder 14 point just above the right eye. Drop my right elbow over his right hand, seat (drop my weight) and pivot to my right, pinning his hand in my right armpit while my left shoots a "burning" punch across his ribs under his arm (I get an incidental hyperextension of his elbow if I do it well). Catch the fingers of his left hand in my left hand, apply a finger lock while simultaneously applying an armbar to his right arm where it's pinned between my chest and right arm. "Shake like a dog" to disrupt his balance while dropping my energy (through the joint locks) toward one of his balance disruption points to drop him to the ground. Then I go home. (One of Shen Chuan's mottos: "Hit hard, hit fast, go to the house.)

Now, obviously, none of these are definitive answers. The opportunities for all these elements may or may not be there. These are simply possibilities intended to provide you with a "flavor" from each art.

Mike

Sorry about the "haymaker" I use it liberally to get the student differentiating in their mind the power punch from the jab.

That was exactly what I want to hear. By far the best post I've read in a while. Your right, you do know how to write!

That Petjak Silat USA link you sent me in that other thread teaches something along those lines?

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by akja
Sorry about the "haymaker" I use it liberally to get the student differentiating in their mind the power punch from the jab.

Not a problem. Personally, I always think of a haymaker as a hook that comes from "Arkansas to Ohio" :) But I know what you mean.

That was exactly what I want to hear. By far the best post I've read in a while. Your right, you do know how to write!

:eek: Thanks. I do my best.

[quoe]That Petjak Silat USA link you sent me in that other thread teaches something along those lines? [/QUOTE]

I've only had a very brief exposure to PSUSA, but what I described as a "Silat" answer was a pretty generic answer with a very Silat flavor (more specifically, a "Pukulan" flavor). I have no doubt that, though, that PSUSA would have an answer pretty similar to it in their repertoire.

There are a lot of different systems of Silat (literally hundreds and likely thousands). And there can be a huge amount of diversity between the various systems. Most of the Silat that I've trained in is of the "pukulan" variety. "Pukulan" means to strike or to hit. So "pukulan" systems tend to be standup systems with a lot of striking. The systems I've trained in generally use the striking to disrupt the balance and set up for sweeps/takedowns.

I'm not sure, but I believe that PSUSA would also be largely classified as a pukulan system. I know it has some influence from Pentjak Silat Serak which is definitely a pukulan system (and one of the places where my Silat is derived from).

Mike

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
An ankle stomp with my rear left (if I am you) on to his lead ankle as a painful destraction, while maintaining control on his right hand grab w/ my left immediately comes to mind. I would then compress his right hand w/my left into my chest, shocking the wrist, and bringing him down a bit, while popping him in the face with an open palm right. I might then move into what we Modern Arnis practioners would call a "center-lock" on the wrist for the break.

This is just one hypothetical, but really it all depends on how the situation changes.

:cool:

C

chufeng

What if the attack is a feint to draw you in? Almost all experts initiate feint attack first. The real attack may come after several feint attacks to set you up. How does Yiliquan deal with that?

Notice, I said fully committed attack...
YiLi practitioners develop the ability to "feel" the other person's intent...no intent, no attack, no worries...
A feint generally (not always) lacks such intent...
It is true that a really good fighter can initiaite a feint with strong intent...but they are rare.
In YiLi, we also train to take a good solid shot, so if something does get through, we just shake it off...
I'll even leave openings, to include just standing there with my arms at my sides, to get people to attack.

Does that mean I'm unbeatable? Hardly...
Does that mean I can't get hurt? Of course not...

You see YiLi really teaches how NOT to fight...so it is extremely unlikely that any of us would need to use our fighting skills for self defense...

chufeng

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by chufeng
Notice, I said fully committed attack...
YiLi practitioners develop the ability to "feel" the other person's intent...no intent, no attack, no worries...
A feint generally (not always) lacks such intent...
It is true that a really good fighter can initiaite a feint with strong intent...but they are rare.
In YiLi, we also train to take a good solid shot, so if something does get through, we just shake it off...
I'll even leave openings, to include just standing there with my arms at my sides, to get people to attack.

Does that mean I'm unbeatable? Hardly...
Does that mean I can't get hurt? Of course not...

You see YiLi really teaches how NOT to fight...so it is extremely unlikely that any of us would need to use our fighting skills for self defense...

chufeng

See, I figured you would have an answer. From what I have read from you and Yiliquan1, you have a good art. I am a Gung-Fu man, so I see things as they are. But I am also set in my ways and beliefs which are good for me.

What matters is the end result, coming full circle. The arts really are one, just like we as people are one. We all have minor differances but we are one!

D

Disco

Based upon the photo, the attacker has grabbed you with his right hand. If this is a correct interpertation, then I would do the following.

Trap his hand with my right hand, rotate 90 degrees on my left foot and step back with my right foot as I lift my left arm to the outside of his right arm (behind the elbow) and put him in an open arm bar (This all happens simuitaneously). I am now facing sideways and I have forced the other side of his body to turn away from me. I now can execute a left sidekick to his knee. Since I still have his hand trapped I now can either rotate back to my left and do a wrist takedown or stay in the same position and do a wrist takedown from that position. If you are strong enough, you could snap the elbow when doing the arm bar, but you don't have to be strong to make it work as stated. Defense's such as this are especially effective for short people and females. If you are bigger, than it just works that much better.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Johnathan Napalm

Do you mean Yiliquan the art, or Yiliquan1 the person? ;)

As Chufeng said earlier, feints usually lack the intensity of a real attack, so they can often be discounted entirely.

When we train a feint, it is done as if it were the only technique being thrown at all. Feints should land as hard as "real" strikes if the other guy isn't either a) skilled enough to defend against it or b) dumb enough to stand there and take it.

If someone tries a high hand fake, I go for a nice low kick. If someone tries a low kick fake, I aim to put a fist sized hole in the middle of their forehead.

Ultimately, though, the opponent's intent is what causes the Yili practitioner to move. You will know what is coming, and getting out of the way (at minimum) is easier done than explained. After that, it's all gravy and grits... :D

Gambarimasu.

S

sweeper

well I like to out fight.. I'm just not good enough to fight on the inside against someone who is good on the inside or avoid being taken down if someone is a good grappler. When I'm standing up I like to fight in what would be an outside boxing range (in western boxing), I come in closer only when I have put the opponant on the deffencive. I can function closer but not optimaly, it isn't my comfort zone by any means (unless the other person is clueless in wich case I just try to stick my hands to them and apply alot of forward preasure and run em into something). to keep in my comfort zone I tend to use alot of thrusting kicks. also alot of toe kicks and kicks with the edge of my foot to scrape up the other person's shin.. the latter is to anoy people the former to keep range. Also like thai kicks to sweep people's lead foot out.

To deffend against a right cross, it depends on alot of things but genneraly I would either sink back with a fronmt thrust or a side kick to the shin/knee or body or I would try to cut off the angle of the punch/jam it with my left and simultaniously throw ajab (if I was right lead, cross if left) and than left turning hook, probably followed by a left side kick to the ribs or a left hook kick to the back/ side of their right knee and go from there.

Basicly I realy like striking things.. wetherI'm on the ground, inside or where ever I look for a striking solution, and if I'm offered a submision I usualy want to throw in a strike right before taking it. most of the time ground fighting you can throw alot of little strikes in that sort of anoy/distract your opponant, standing grappling I try to get a stalemate, I try to match up our arms so they can't strike or lock mine and I try to keep my footing so it's hard to get me down. usualy I try to headbutt in that situation.

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by sweeper
well I like to out fight.. I'm just not good enough to fight on the inside against someone who is good on the inside or avoid being taken down if someone is a good grappler. When I'm standing up I like to fight in what would be an outside boxing range (in western boxing), I come in closer only when I have put the opponant on the deffencive. I can function closer but not optimaly, it isn't my comfort zone by any means (unless the other person is clueless in wich case I just try to stick my hands to them and apply alot of forward preasure and run em into something). to keep in my comfort zone I tend to use alot of thrusting kicks. also alot of toe kicks and kicks with the edge of my foot to scrape up the other person's shin.. the latter is to anoy people the former to keep range. Also like thai kicks to sweep people's lead foot out.

To deffend against a right cross, it depends on alot of things but genneraly I would either sink back with a fronmt thrust or a side kick to the shin/knee or body or I would try to cut off the angle of the punch/jam it with my left and simultaniously throw ajab (if I was right lead, cross if left) and than left turning hook, probably followed by a left side kick to the ribs or a left hook kick to the back/ side of their right knee and go from there.

Basicly I realy like striking things.. wetherI'm on the ground, inside or where ever I look for a striking solution, and if I'm offered a submision I usualy want to throw in a strike right before taking it. most of the time ground fighting you can throw alot of little strikes in that sort of anoy/distract your opponant, standing grappling I try to get a stalemate, I try to match up our arms so they can't strike or lock mine and I try to keep my footing so it's hard to get me down. usualy I try to headbutt in that situation.

Sweeper,
Aren't you a JKD fighter? If so, the "inside" isn't your comfort zone, YET.

I'll be back to share later tonite better with you you and the others that shared.

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by PAUL
An ankle stomp with my rear left (if I am you) on to his lead ankle as a painful destraction, while maintaining control on his right hand grab w/ my left immediately comes to mind. I would then compress his right hand w/my left into my chest, shocking the wrist, and bringing him down a bit, while popping him in the face with an open palm right. I might then move into what we Modern Arnis practioners would call a "center-lock" on the wrist for the break.

This is just one hypothetical, but really it all depends on how the situation changes.

:cool:

I'm not sure. You said "I would then compress his right hand w/my left into MY CHEST, shocking the wrist,"

Were you pulling his wrist into YOUR chest of pushing his wrist into HIS chest?

Any way. I like a foot stomp. And if I used my left to grab his right, I would probably pull him in just enough to deliver my right punch or eyejab. (In the pic its not clear but my right arm is on top of his left arm) The right punch can go directly to the face or throat or it can go to the stomach or solar plexus followed by a left punch or eyejab.

In the case of the low right punch and a left eyejab, a high right punch would be appropriate or a right horizontal elbow or just use the right to grab behind his neck and headbutt or just use your hand behind his neck to re-direct him a bit and finish with something else. Whatever, its about being in "control" and keeping him out of his fight game.

The combinations are endless. I barely even mentioned the throat. And thats mainly just the upper ranges.

I like my technique to be a little forcefull so that when I get to the small joints it will take away from them being forcefull and "uncooperative" so to speak.

My approach is simple and direct but equally important to be prepared to whatever direction the fight goes.

On some days we are winners and losers, preparedness is my best answer.

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Disco
Based upon the photo, the attacker has grabbed you with his right hand. If this is a correct interpertation, then I would do the following.

Trap his hand with my right hand, rotate 90 degrees on my left foot and step back with my right foot as I lift my left arm to the outside of his right arm (behind the elbow) and put him in an open arm bar (This all happens simuitaneously). I am now facing sideways and I have forced the other side of his body to turn away from me. I now can execute a left sidekick to his knee. Since I still have his hand trapped I now can either rotate back to my left and do a wrist takedown or stay in the same position and do a wrist takedown from that position. If you are strong enough, you could snap the elbow when doing the arm bar, but you don't have to be strong to make it work as stated. Defense's such as this are especially effective for short people and females. If you are bigger, than it just works that much better.

With your right hand. Which hand are you trapping, left or right? Is you right hand on his right wrist for the open arm bar. I don't see it. Maybe my feet are off. You started in a right lead, right?
I think from a right lead to move your left foot 90 degrees you have to move both feet. I do wnat to try and picture this one if you could try and figure why I can't picture it.

I do try and not cross my hands which would be the case if I used my right hand to trap his right hand. Depending on my feet positioning. He can trap 2 of my hands with 1 of his (because my right hand is now on the left side of my body) and if my left foot is back it leaves my left way to far away from being useful.

Any way I would like ti picture your technique. Thanx.

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by sweeper

I like to start in the clinch while training. I think it is overlooked as far as training goes. Everbody has offense and defense from the outside, inside and the ground. But the clinch is where "some" lose it.

I usually start from a right lead, it works well for standup and grappling. With a right cross, I could either use my right to stop the right cross. Depending on mt feet positioning and how fast the punch is and the angle of the punch. If I'm a little out to the left, I would use my right back of my hand for the interception. If I was a little out to the right, them I would use my right palm for the interception or I could step in and intercept with my left rear and execute the a direct right, punch, eyejab or anything appropriate.

Understanding the interception is te key. It is what sets your opponent off his game and into your game. Intercepting should not be elaborate or fancy. Just stop the attack and react, simple and direct.

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yiliquan1 ....If someone tries a high hand fake, I go for a nice low kick. If someone tries a low kick fake, I aim to put a fist sized hole in the middle of their forehead.

Ultimately, though, the opponent's intent is what causes the Yili practitioner to move. You will know what is coming, and getting out of the way (at minimum) is easier done than explained. After that, it's all gravy and grits...

Some day, I'll drop by to see how that is done ;)

Latest Discussions