Disappointing grading

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You just figured that out? What have you been doing?
Living under a rock, apparently.

It’s like the break room at work. After 6 years, it had to be pointed out to me that the walls are yellow. This came up during a conversation amongst the ladies while they were debating what color it should be painted.

Why didn’t I notice? Because I didn’t give a F. I know it’s gray now, but when they asked my opinion, I said “I don’t know what color it is now, so why would I care what color you paint it?” They laughed and said “how do you not know? You’re in the room right now?”

Just like the formerly yellow walls, I never bothered to look. :D

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
In a sense, I think it’s like having different players on a video game. Take a boxing video game - the character has A points for strength, B points for stamina, C points for speed, D points for power, and so on. No two boxers in the game have the same amount of points for each attribute, but many have the same total points.

Look at a rank like needing X overall points, regardless of how they’re distributed across the various attributes. Within reason, of course. And where one attribute isn’t so low that it doesn’t matter how high the rest are because they can’t possibly compensate.

We’ve got a few people who are relatively high ranks who are older in the dojo. Knee replacements, spine and neck surgeries, etc. over the years. If you walked in off the streets and saw any of them, you’d think were giving away rank solely for long term effort and tuition payment. You wouldn’t see what they were before their bodies started breaking down. You wouldn’t see how they evolved their karate to still be functional despite the obstacles. All you’d see was what looks like some halfassed kihon line drills and kata, and more able guys and ladies trying to beat them with speed while they just hang in there and wait for the right moment. You wouldn’t feel every shot you took with every mistake you made.

I don’t know about everyone else out there, but I know the ones where I am earned it and continue to earn it the hard way. Sitting in a chair and watching them, they suck. Standing next to them during kihon, they’re awful. Actually training alongside them and sparring with them for a length of time, and you realize how talented they actually are if you actually let yourself see it by not looking for prettiness or flashiness.

When bury their mawashi geri into your ribs or thigh, or bury their shita tsuki into your liver and you’re wondering what the hell you just got hit with, the last thing on your mind is how pretty their technique looked.

General you, not you personally.
That's awesome, appreciate your response that was very insightful, and makes total sense. Definitely the overall picture and context of them and their training has to be considered. And that's the thing, their instructor knows them best and has been training with and instructing them for such a long stretch that they will have more of an insight into them than we do.

Thanks for that :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is pretty apparent who can take who in the gym.

Belts become mostly a responsibility or a target.

As far as input goes I generally don't coach a guy unless I can beat him up. Or I know them.

So that whole grading dynamic almost seems a bit pointless to me.

My last grading was about 10 minutes of me getting mauled by everyone in the room. Which was fun.

And all it really means is my division in competition jumps up a huge degree. And any club I visit I have to be on point. Because my belt has our school name on it.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is pretty apparent who can take who in the gym.

Belts become mostly a responsibility or a target.

As far as input goes I generally don't coach a guy unless I can beat him up. Or I know them.

So that whole grading dynamic almost seems a bit pointless to me.

My last grading was about 10 minutes of me getting mauled by everyone in the room. Which was fun.

And all it really means is my division in competition jumps up a huge degree. And any club I visit I have to be on point. Because my belt has our school name on it.
What was the format of that grading, DB? Your description sounds like your coach said, "Okay, it's time for DB to get a new belt. Everybody jump him, hold him down, and change that damned thing, already."

I'll coach someone I can't beat (as if any such person actually existed!), if there's something I can help them with. And I'll take coaching from someone I can beat, if they have something to offer me. I think that comes from spending time around instructors who had lost their edge to age, and had senior students who could probably have beaten them going hard, but still could learn from them.

But I agree about the belt mostly indicating what the student should be up to - a standard for them to live up to.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What was the format of that grading, DB? Your description sounds like your coach said, "Okay, it's time for DB to get a new belt. Everybody jump him, hold him down, and change that damned thing, already."

I'll coach someone I can't beat (as if any such person actually existed!), if there's something I can help them with. And I'll take coaching from someone I can beat, if they have something to offer me. I think that comes from spending time around instructors who had lost their edge to age, and had senior students who could probably have beaten them going hard, but still could learn from them.

But I agree about the belt mostly indicating what the student should be up to - a standard for them to live up to.

He graded the whole class (Sort of so everyone who was ready to grade ) and the first 20 minutes or so was just say do arm bar defenses. Or do sweeps or whatever.

Then he separated the beginners, about 4 of them and everyone went 30 second roll over 3 times 5 minute rounds. Gauntlets pretty much. So a fresh guy every 30 seconds.

Then he did the same to us over about 5 rounds.

And then awarded belts to those who earned them.

It was tough. One guy collapsed at the end there for a bit and had to be hosed off.

I have had too many times go in coach a guy through technique and then have him maul me rolling Because he is some super fighter from wherever. So I reserve coaching until I know I don't become that duche bag who gets eaten alive but still has tips where the other guy went wrong.

We also got belt whipped.

20181217_200745.jpg

Last edited:

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Hahahahaha! Can really visualize that... thanks for the laugh. That is all XD

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He graded the whole class (Sort of so everyone who was ready to grade ) and the first 20 minutes or so was just say do arm bar defenses. Or do sweeps or whatever.

Then he separated the beginners, about 4 of them and everyone went 30 second roll over 3 times 5 minute rounds. Gauntlets pretty much. So a fresh guy every 30 seconds.

Then he did the same to us over about 5 rounds.

And then awarded belts to those who earned them.

It was tough. One guy collapsed at the end there for a bit and had to be hosed off.

I have had too many times go in coach a guy through technique and then have him maul me rolling Because he is some super fighter from wherever. So I reserve coaching until I know I don't become that duche bag who gets eaten alive but still has tips where the other guy went wrong.

We also got belt whipped.

View attachment 22258
That sounds like a fun (but grueling) grading. I assume from the description that the main measure is how you do against other people about that same level - if you can hold your own, you're about the same level they are. That about right?

As for the last part, I don't mind if the other guy can maul me. I've gotten kicking tips from folks I could maul - they just had a better kick than I did. I've gotten mount escape tips from BJJ blue belts I could have mauled if I'd used everything I had, but whose mount escapes were better than mine in some fundamental ways. Elite fighters are getting coaching from guys they can maul.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I think what you are describing is part of the maturation process of someone who stays active in their MA. Fear of contact is not as daunting and you understand that there is possibly something to learn from anyone.

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
I actually had a pretty poor Karate test tonight, by my standards at least. I rocked all my standard stuff, but, because my Sensei knows I do Aikido, he decided to make my ukemi demonstration more interesting, and had a few high-ranking Aikido guys who cross train at our dojo throw me around. The problem was that, even coming at them with only medium speed/force, they were going pretty hard. When Sensei told me to throw Karate style punches at them, I was honestly concerned that giving them more energy would result in a broken wrist or elbow. So, I kept it toned down, needless to say, Sensei wasn't impressed.

In the end, I got my belt, and I attribute that to me doing very well on all the standard criteria for my new rank. That being said, not measuring up on a test never feels good, and I didn't particularly great leaving the dojo tonight.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I actually had a pretty poor Karate test tonight, by my standards at least. I rocked all my standard stuff, but, because my Sensei knows I do Aikido, he decided to make my ukemi demonstration more interesting, and had a few high-ranking Aikido guys who cross train at our dojo throw me around. The problem was that, even coming at them with only medium speed/force, they were going pretty hard. When Sensei told me to throw Karate style punches at them, I was honestly concerned that giving them more energy would result in a broken wrist or elbow. So, I kept it toned down, needless to say, Sensei wasn't impressed.

In the end, I got my belt, and I attribute that to me doing very well on all the standard criteria for my new rank. That being said, not measuring up on a test never feels good, and I didn't particularly great leaving the dojo tonight.

But you say you did very well on the standard criteria, and you got your belt. I think you may not be seeing the whole picture. Getting something extra in a MA testing usually means your Sensei knew you could handle it and wanted to give you a little extra motivation. Maybe reflecting on what you learned, possibly by realizing something new about something you already know, from the non-standard part of the test will help you process it in a positive way.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

We are our own harshest critics. I am sure it would have been really interesting for everyone attending to see you demonstrating how karate and Aikido cross training can result in a broader understanding of the movements in both styles but essentially you were there to be graded in karate. Whatever happened in the demo....happened. The next time you are put in that situation you can draw from this experience and make it 'better' or at the very least make yourself happier with the outcome. Some grading moments are meant for you to ponder and work towards improving moving forward.

Food for thought and congrats on the new belt.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Did your Sensei ask you to throw Karate style punches AT them, or try to actually hit them?

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
Did your Sensei ask you to throw Karate style punches AT them, or try to actually hit them?

Both, Sensei wanted a good punch at my opponent, and with a lot of energy. I hesitated to do so because my partner, on half-speed punches, was already throwing me in a way that was putting a lot of pressure on my wrist. I was concerned I wouldn't be fast enough to breakfall out of it without injury at full speed. Ironically, my partner and I were talking later, and he was trained to go softer as the attacks get stronger... The opposite of how my dojo does things. So, I probably would have been just fine coming at him at speed.

Also, thanks guys!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both, Sensei wanted a good punch at my opponent, and with a lot of energy. I hesitated to do so because my partner, on half-speed punches, was already throwing me in a way that was putting a lot of pressure on my wrist. I was concerned I wouldn't be fast enough to breakfall out of it without injury at full speed. Ironically, my partner and I were talking later, and he was trained to go softer as the attacks get stronger... The opposite of how my dojo does things. So, I probably would have been just fine coming at him at speed.

Also, thanks guys!
I'd probably have had similar reservations. With someone I haven't trained those before, I'm going to err on the side of keeping both of us safe in that situation.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I totally agree with HeadHunter as a Martial Artist every student who are testing should be ready and be Prepare for the test they should know all their Basic Techniques and katas and they should be sharp and add power and make a lil contact on their technique and when they do their kata it should be fluid no hesitation and make sure you have good block kicks and punches also good stances

Also dont give the judges attitude when your testing dont roll your eyes and dont make faces you think you know everything but you dont

If i was one of the judge and you take the test and your not ready your not gonna pass period

Latest Discussions