disadvantages of MT(for self defense)

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm a Thai fighter, and I was a bouncer for a long while. I also have a degree in Admin. of Justice and LEO training. I also wrestled in Junior High and Highschool. In real life, MT is a very useful striking system. I get this all the time, the : "well, if I did [insert unrealistic strike, lock, throw here] you'd have no defense against it." My answer is: "man-up, toss on the gloves and give'er a shot." In my experience, MMA gyms do not train Muay Thai the way Muay Thai gyms do. If you shoot on me, I will ram my knee through your jaw. How do you intent to kick me in the groin, push kick, soccer-style kick, side-kick. . .Muay Thai has all of those. . .it's nothing new to us; defending that is the bread-and-butter of Muay Thai defense. Sweeps. . .we have those, too. Take downs. . .they're there, as well. Bottom line: go spar with a Thai boxer, my Kenpo buddy was surprised the first time he sparred with me. ;)

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
AdrenalineJunky said:
I'm a Thai fighter, and I was a bouncer for a long while. I also have a degree in Admin. of Justice and LEO training. I also wrestled in Junior High and Highschool. In real life, MT is a very useful striking system. I get this all the time, the : "well, if I did [insert unrealistic strike, lock, throw here] you'd have no defense against it." My answer is: "man-up, toss on the gloves and give'er a shot." In my experience, MMA gyms do not train Muay Thai the way Muay Thai gyms do. If you shoot on me, I will ram my knee through your jaw. How do you intent to kick me in the groin, push kick, soccer-style kick, side-kick. . .Muay Thai has all of those. . .it's nothing new to us; defending that is the bread-and-butter of Muay Thai defense. Sweeps. . .we have those, too. Take downs. . .they're there, as well. Bottom line: go spar with a Thai boxer, my Kenpo buddy was surprised the first time he sparred with me. ;)

Clap clap! was discussing that the other day,mma gyms train muay thai completely different I've watched ufc and pride and i see the 'muay thai' fighters and am always confused as to what the hell they are doing!

I get the same rubbish,I recently sparred with a karate dude up in the gym who doubted muay thai barbaric rubbish i think he called it,then went on to talk about all these karate blocks and counters and how he could grab my arm and position me over there to do this and that..he didnt because he had to be dman good to block/counter a push kick then a left,right hook, kick knee then clinch to show off.....the thing is I find hard with muay thai is that its hard to be nice when sparring...i mean i couldnt just elbow the dude in his head could i...that would just be mean.

Jagermeister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Odin said:
...the thing is I find hard with muay thai is that its hard to be nice when sparring...i mean i couldnt just elbow the dude in his head could i...that would just be mean.

Tough love. lol.

Muay Thai Knee

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Muay Thai is excellent for self defense. It is a no nonsense martial art.

The punches have serious power.
The kicks are lethal.
The elbows are really dangerous.
The knees are the worst.

On top of all that it teaches you how to counter and attack in one movement. Your opponent throws a punch and you will parry the punch and elbow in the same motion. While your would be attacker is thinking that hurt. You follow through with a combo that you have done a gazillion times in training.

When I watch MMA it amazes me how few people get kneed in the face when they attempt a takedown. It's what I'd go for instinctively.

Jagermeister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Muay Thai Knee said:
Muay Thai is excellent for self defense. It is a no nonsense martial art.

The punches have serious power.
The kicks are lethal.
The elbows are really dangerous.
The knees are the worst.

On top of all that it teaches you how to counter and attack in one movement. Your opponent throws a punch and you will parry the punch and elbow in the same motion. While your would be attacker is thinking that hurt. You follow through with a combo that you have done a gazillion times in training.

When I watch MMA it amazes me how few people get kneed in the face when they attempt a takedown. It's what I'd go for instinctively.

I totally agree with you.

As far as the MMA matches are concerned, I think the idea is that unless the knee produces a knockout, you give up the takedown. And if you feel you're at disadvantage grappling, that's not a good trade.

Muay Thai Knee

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Jagermeister, thanks for that. It always bothers me when I watch UFC, pride etc I sit there thinking knee him in the bloomin' face.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Muay Thai Knee said:
Jagermeister, thanks for that. It always bothers me when I watch UFC, pride etc I sit there thinking knee him in the bloomin' face.

Or elbow him in the back of the head/neck!......but that wouldnt be allowed.(")

bobodredd

White Belt
Reaction score
The thing about UFC et al, is that there are rules, and as 'MuayThai Knee' posted, an instinctive knee would result in disqualification. From what i've seen, a muay thai knee could knock out an opponent diving in for a takedown, or floor grappling stint. OSIT

savior

Green Belt
Reaction score
if you watch most streetfighting videos, you'll see that people stand square most of the time.. also when they fight, they have absolutely no guard up and if they are hit (which is usually the case), they do not know how to adept to the confusion

muay thai fighters, as well as other MA, know how to respond to being hit, know WHEN and WHERE to hit an opponent, and have sharper reflexes

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
The thing about UFC et al, is that there are rules, and as 'MuayThai Knee' posted, an instinctive knee would result in disqualification. From what i've seen, a muay thai knee could knock out an opponent diving in for a takedown, or floor grappling stint. OSIT

What do you mean? Knees to the face are legal, just ask Rich Franklin. Am I misunderstanding?

Latest Discussions