Disadvantages for flat-footed martial artists

HelloKitty

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I am interested in practicing martial arts, but I've been wondering if having no arch in my foot will bring about difficulties in learning kicks and stuff, and so if anyone has any answers/advice I'd appreciate it alot.

I'm feet-flated xD I practice taekwondo and it seems twice as hard. The only thing that worked for me was training really hard in class, training more by myself at home, specially for equilibrium (you can ask your instructor for better exercises to improve this), etc.

Maybe it's not the easy-way answer you could expect, but it has worked for me. Keep up the good work!

HelloKitty

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am very new to MA, and am about as flat footed as you can get. I find my feet tend to "suction" to the floor (and not in a good way!) and also that certain exercises, etc. tend to "kill" me feet. But am trying to overcome it with practice and hard work.
It happened a lot to me too, but I got used to walk only with the outer edges of my feet. Or when I'm kicking, I just use only the front part of the flat of my foot and the toes to support my weight. That's the only way I can rotate without giving my knees a hard time. (It's tiring and a little painful at the beginning but it's effective and you take care of distributing your weight better so your joints don't suffer)

Jo-zen

White Belt
Reaction score
HelloKitty

I have found that one of my problems with my ankles rolling is that I tend to walk on the outside of my foot. I have started long distance walking (working towards running) and went to sports chalet for shoes. The girls there swore up and down that the orthopedic inserts worked wonders, and they even make them for heels. (I always talk to the women who work there as they will understand the female side of sports). So got some, now when I where my running shoes no more ankle problems. It's just when I paractice in bare feet that I run into issues. My sensei (I have talked to him about this, since my last post), says that over time my ankles will 'learn' to support me.

Maybe you should try the ortho inserts for shoes and your 'flat' feet will learn as well. FYI - the inserts run about $35 (and come in cool colors) but are really worth it.

HelloKitty

Green Belt
Reaction score
That's good info! Do you know where to buy them? Sport shops? Medical shops?

Because I have the old ortho inserts my doctor gave me but they are too flat now LOL, so I need to replace them.

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Lynne has a good point about running. I have a very good friend, whom is very fit. But when it comes to running, the pain he has to endure. Shin splints, bad knees, bad hip, and he even had a fracture in his foot at one point. He's tried proper shoes, orthopedic inserts, physio. Nothing seems to work. It's the running that really causes more harm than good to him. He's also had a lot of trouble at Muay Thai skipping barefooted. He's still a fit person though, and quite good at Muay Thai. I haven't noticed any issues with balance when sparring with him.

Ravage

White Belt
Reaction score
An old post ,but I wanted to toss my 2 cents in as a flat footed person. I have had people laugh at the perfectly flat footprints I leave and also had the "suction cup" effect. I could never use arch supports because they hurt too much ,even straight from the store I have to take the manufacturers inserts out and put in some flat Dr. Sholl's. My knees are on the weak side as well so I have been doing leg/foot exercises with good effect. I do a few squats (working to more all the time) and while in the squat position ,walk forward. Now I have an ever so slight arch and my feet are getting stronger every day. I stand a lot at work and try to be more conscious of my posture and not lock my knees out anymore. My knees have been feeling pretty good and my feet don't tire out as fast while marching. May not be he answer for everyone ,but it's worth a try.

Latest Discussions