Dim Mak: Is it real?

7 Star mantis,

With the utmost repect to you. Do you want the truth or the version they have been saying for years.

Mantis king

I'll keep this short as not to hyjack the thread. I can understand your mindset having done the research you have done. I've done quite a bit of research myself and I understand the whole truth vs. story issue. I was simply interested in your findings that supported your statement about northern mantis being derived from southern. I read your post above, looks like you have done quite a bit or research on the topic.

Have you heard of the Mantis Quarterly put out by Sifu Steve Cottrell? You might find it interesting, he is a big historian and researcher of the mantis style. I myself am not as much a researcher or historian as some. I prefer to spend more time training than researching, but different people have different personalities in the arts :)

Good to have you here at MArtialTalk, look forward to reading more of your posts.
Ok, you guys can have your thread back! ;)

7sm

No disrespect,

You say:
You prefer to spend more time training than researching,

But make NO mistake.
There’s an old Chinese saying: If you don’t know where you came from, you wont know where you’re going.

Just remember History of your art is the root of your art. With out it you can not bloosom.

Good luck in your training.:asian:

Mantis king

It cause pain or temporarily paralysis or death. But i dont think that the people would know those that stop a person from moving or talking these days.

It should be a lose art or at least something that only a few will have known.

No disrespect but…

Martial practice will benefit from the study of literature – Tung Ying Chieh

Being scholarly without martial energy is like having something and not using it. Being martial but not having knowledge, is like having something but not knowing how to use it. The bottom line is that one hand cannot clap – Tung Ying Chieh

In the old days people had better Gong fu because they emphasized practice over theory. Modern day students tend to emphasize theory rather than practice. Too many theories can distract your training – Tung Ying Chieh

Now I tend to do a lot of study into the theory, philosophy and origins of the styles that I train. And I tend to do a whole lot of study into the histories and origins of many Chinese martial styles and I know this does cut into my training so I think it is better to work towards achieving a balance between the 2 rather than worrying about whether or not someone does to little or to much of either.

Sorry about the off topic bit but I felt it was needed.

Back to the topic of Dim Mak, Dim Yuet, or Dian Xue. However you want to say it.

Speaking of the history. It's interesting, but most martial arts history is common and well known e.g: Wing Chun. The mysterious part lies more upon technques like Dim Mak and the internal arts variations, since many people don't know what they even are. I guess there must be a thread discussing this issue. I like to learn more about this stuff,

All the best,
Ahmed

Back