Diffrent punches

• Thread starter Deleted member 39746
  • Start date
OP
D

Deleted member 39746

As a response to the punching thing, im more liner. At best i would do a hook with a open palm as a compromise to the head but i dont really want to break my hand at all, straight punches dont put as much risk to your hands as hooks.

I heard a saying somewhere that a hand is like clockwork and when it gets broken its difficult to get it working the same again. (paraphrase)

I mean this is just me, i dont see much value in a hook since it puts your hands at risk so i will opt not to use them (as much) I will fight what i feel is the best way for me to fight like anyone else would.

(Plus then it would be harder to keyboard warrior if i had a broken hand :p)

Also i get the feeling a BoB will probably be better than a bag for me at the moment, since i would need a anatomically similar target. I dont think it works as well for developing power and its more of a technique trainer.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Carry a tube of antibiotic ointment.

I have that in my pack. Still need something to clean the wound. I think 97% rubbing alcohol is the best choice. It can also be used as fuel, fire starter....I think mouth wash too.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As a response to the punching thing, im more liner. At best i would do a hook with a open palm as a compromise to the head but i dont really want to break my hand at all, straight punches dont put as much risk to your hands as hooks.

I heard a saying somewhere that a hand is like clockwork and when it gets broken its difficult to get it working the same again. (paraphrase)

I mean this is just me, i dont see much value in a hook since it puts your hands at risk so i will opt not to use them (as much) I will fight what i feel is the best way for me to fight like anyone else would.

The main problem though, is that most people will swing crazy when they fight w/o training.

With training, they still swing crazy with the same haymakers, during the 1st few times they spar hard and even in their 1st ring fights w/adequate training. Very difficult to condition yourself to not throw hooks when there's basically just 3 types of punches.....maybe only 2 if you just count straight & round punches.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Also i get the feeling a BoB will probably be better than a bag for me at the moment, since i would need a anatomically similar target. I dont think it works as well for developing power and its more of a technique trainer.
The most painful bar fight hit I ever received that didn't bleed was a hook to the ear. By far. I would not discount them in your arsenal.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The most painful bar fight hit I ever received that didn't bleed was a hook to the ear. By far. I would not discount them in your arsenal.

Any strike to that area will not only hurt as you say but it can and probably will affect the sense of balance as we all know that is controlled within the ear workings.

Rat without being taken as being forward.

Young man before you do any more or start going into things and techniques, to study any art and absorb and progress you need inner self discipline. Now that you can do alone and it comes from within. You are getting the answers but without training they are really meaningless (no guys your answers are right) and without the inner self discipline to train and study you will not be able to apply them

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about as a survival item for your bug out bag...considering that space & weight will be a big factor so you can't carry that much water to just keep pouring on wounds.

Would you recommend peroxide or alcohol?

Neither. They're both useless for cleaning a wound. Carry a little soap. If you can carry a pint of useless junk to pour on the wound, you can carry a pint of water.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

An open hand hook is going to be more of a slap than a strike.

Try not to get hung up on what training tools you will use, because they won't replace actual instruction.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
with all this talk about hook punches hurting your wrists,,,why is it that i never hurt my wrists?
maybe because i train to keep them straight, arm position is parallel to the floor as best as possible, rotate my body into the punch, swivel on the toes and i get closer to my opponent to throw them then most people might feel comfortable being.
now if your opponent is a foot taller than maybe the hook to the head should be dropped a level to the rib cage.
maybe ,,,just thinking out loud here.

OP
D

Deleted member 39746

Well, probably going to take me a while to experiment and find out what i like doing. What i can justify to myself and prefer doing etc.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
with all this talk about hook punches hurting your wrists,,,why is it that i never hurt my wrists?
maybe because i train to keep them straight, arm position is parallel to the floor as best as possible, rotate my body into the punch, swivel on the toes and i get closer to my opponent to throw them then most people might feel comfortable being.
now if your opponent is a foot taller than maybe the hook to the head should be dropped a level to the rib cage.
maybe ,,,just thinking out loud here.

I was thinking about this thread while I was practicing on BOB yesterday. I've never hurt my wrist throwing a hook punch. In fact, I can't even imagine hurting my wrist with one. I would have to do something seriously wrong to hurt myself doing one. If I did, it would be my knuckles, which applies to any punch I'd throw.

Well, probably going to take me a while to experiment and find out what i like doing. What i can justify to myself and prefer doing etc.

You're not going to be able to get an accurate view of what does and doesn't work for you until you're doing the techniques correct. Every single martial arts technique is dangerous to do and completely ineffective if you perform them improperly. Any punch with a limp wrist will hurt you. A weak fist will hurt you. A kick at the wrong angle will hurt your knee. Attempting a throw without the right leverage and your opponent will have an easy option to choke you out. Kick with the toes and break your foot. But all of these techniques if done correctly can be devastating to your opponent.

This is why I have been harping on "go to class." An instructor will be able to help you with all sorts of things, from how to plant your feet, drop your hips, and properly get your full power into the punch, while at the same time keeping the fist tight and wrist straight so as to hit the target safely. They will be able to look at what you're doing and give you pointers to correct mistakes you make and help you improve.

I'm getting ready for my 3rd degree black belt in Taekwondo. I have trained under my master for over 5 years, and I did another 4 years under a different school. The level I'm at, I still get corrected on details from my Master on how to improve basic techniques I've been doing for almost a decade. I play around with stuff, too, but I'm almost 10 years into my TKD career, and I still need instruction to improve.

As someone with less than a year of haphazard attendance, you need instruction a lot more than you need to experiment for yourself. Especially if you're scared to do half the techniques.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was thinking about this thread while I was practicing on BOB yesterday. I've never hurt my wrist throwing a hook punch. In fact, I can't even imagine hurting my wrist with one. I would have to do something seriously wrong to hurt myself doing one. If I did, it would be my knuckles, which applies to any punch I'd throw.

You're not going to be able to get an accurate view of what does and doesn't work for you until you're doing the techniques correct. Every single martial arts technique is dangerous to do and completely ineffective if you perform them improperly. Any punch with a limp wrist will hurt you. A weak fist will hurt you. A kick at the wrong angle will hurt your knee. Attempting a throw without the right leverage and your opponent will have an easy option to choke you out. Kick with the toes and break your foot. But all of these techniques if done correctly can be devastating to your opponent.

This is why I have been harping on "go to class." An instructor will be able to help you with all sorts of things, from how to plant your feet, drop your hips, and properly get your full power into the punch, while at the same time keeping the fist tight and wrist straight so as to hit the target safely. They will be able to look at what you're doing and give you pointers to correct mistakes you make and help you improve.

I'm getting ready for my 3rd degree black belt in Taekwondo. I have trained under my master for over 5 years, and I did another 4 years under a different school. The level I'm at, I still get corrected on details from my Master on how to improve basic techniques I've been doing for almost a decade. I play around with stuff, too, but I'm almost 10 years into my TKD career, and I still need instruction to improve.

As someone with less than a year of haphazard attendance, you need instruction a lot more than you need to experiment for yourself. Especially if you're scared to do half the techniques.

I just aid something similar to the op in a different thread lol

Young man you are enthusiastic, channel that into studying in class and learning then you will move forward as to much theory imo at this point is not really going to help and it could get you over thinking.Learning the techniques and studying will get the results you require. Then you can start picking things apart

OP
D

Deleted member 39746

This is why I have been harping on "go to class."

Should be giving it a go in coming months, just need the routine again.

Edit: I do quite like the advice of learning any technique that works for your hands so you can at least fight someone off if they start something.

Last edited by a moderator:

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

My advice on books is don't go bankrupting yourself on buying books as you might well find that what you read isn't exactly what you are being taught. That may sound stupid but due to all the fragmentation of the arts and even when the books were written you might get what you see as contradictory statements where they may not be just early on you are not at the stage to see that they are not. Jeez you may even get the same thing called different names stick to the classes then after start the serious reading etc

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Edit: I do quite like the advice of learning any technique that works for your hands so you can at least fight someone off if they start something.

I think Krav Maga or something similar is really what you're looking for. The goal of that art is to get you effective in self defense as quickly as possible.

OP
D

Deleted member 39746

My advice on books is don't go bankrupting yourself on buying books as you might well find that what you read isn't exactly what you are being taught. That may sound stupid but due to all the fragmentation of the arts and even when the books were written you might get what you see as contradictory statements where they may not be just early on you are not at the stage to see that they are not. Jeez you may even get the same thing called different names stick to the classes then after start the serious reading etc

Oh god books, the martial arts and self defence genre is the most exploited, like self help ones. Thank fully i haven't fell for the "how to finish a fight in X" genre. There is a wave of bad ones drowing out the good ones and its hard to know which is which.
Plus i cant complain to the authot as easily as i can a instructor about it being too structured for self defence

I think Krav Maga or something similar is really what you're looking for. The goal of that art is to get you effective in self defense as quickly as possible.

I agree, i also think something in the realm of reality based self defence would do wonders for myself and is what i am looking for and will put some of my concerns about short term efficiency at rest. I have looked for them in my area but i cant find any i trust and are still doing self defence, so its kind of sucky. Plus i was looking at teaching more self defence orientated skills at a future date.

I know of quite a few that i find interesting and its annoying because i keep finding them and they arent near me. :p

Edit: how ever i just remembered there is a place which does self defence courses near me, one of you might get a DM to help me see if its worth the money. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh god books, the martial arts and self defence genre is the most exploited, like self help ones. Thank fully i haven't fell for the "how to finish a fight in X" genre. There is a wave of bad ones drowing out the good ones and its hard to know which is which.
Plus i cant complain to the authot as easily as i can a instructor about it being too structured for self defence

I agree, i also think something in the realm of reality based self defence would do wonders for myself and is what i am looking for and will put some of my concerns about short term efficiency at rest. I have looked for them in my area but i cant find any i trust and are still doing self defence, so its kind of sucky. Plus i was looking at teaching more self defence orientated skills at a future date.

I know of quite a few that i find interesting and its annoying because i keep finding them and they arent near me. :p

Any art you do can have self defense in it. Even if the art you do right now doesn't focus on it, it's going to be better than just experimenting on your own on the heavy bag. Getting used to the correct body mechanics will help when you do go to a school that focuses on self defense.

OP
D

Deleted member 39746

what is in your area ? I mean what systems/arts

in walking range its TKD, i think there might be a chinese kickboxing in range i need to go have a look at which i keep forgetting about. Extension from that, there is two kung fu styles, a few TKD's, i think a few Karates, MMA, there is a place which does courses for self defence (just remembered, see above edit) a krav maga, a Judo and a BJJ, oh and two Arnis styles. Well, one of the MMA places hosts other styles, like Muay Thai etc. I think there might be a boxing or two as well.

I havent looked for every style and a few might be more inner circle due to bad advertising. and i dont have a car and am not going to some of these places at 18-21:00

Edit: can either of you do a little skim of this course for me if i Private message it to you?

Latest Discussions