Difficulties with Techniques

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Does anyone have any techniques they have particular difficulites with for a specific reason?

I have problems with most of mine still, some of them more than others, but then I'm still a relative beginner and I'm really interested in others problem techs.

tkd_Jaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What kind of things do you have problems with? I always work a lot on my back kicks and of course my left leg.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have found that one of the most difficult techniques, not only for me, is the jump side kick.

Not flying side kick (where you spring off one leg and kick with the other)

but a jumping side kick where you jump off the same leg you kick with — easy with a front or round, for example, but really tough with a side.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm with you zDoom especially now that I'm older and have bad knees.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have found that one of the most difficult techniques, not only for me, is the jump side kick.

Not flying side kick (where you spring off one leg and kick with the other)

but a jumping side kick where you jump off the same leg you kick with — easy with a front or round, for example, but really tough with a side.
Pactice jumping and tucking your knees over and over for highth and form, then add the kick.:)
Sean

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The tornado kick. Of course, now that I know my instructor injured himself doing it, that little factoid just makes me want to do it THAT much more. That's sarcasm talking there!:rolleyes: <--me being sarcastic.

I'm not fond of the idea of breaking my ankle in the attempt to do a tornado kick.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My knees have me grounded. Takes too long to recover after any combination of jumping, spinning, flying.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to be good at jumping and flying kicks, but I haven't trained that much in a year, so they all stink. BUT that's just because I'm out of shape, for the most part.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
My knees have me grounded. Takes too long to recover after any combination of jumping, spinning, flying.

Same here, especially with flying, or spinning- jumps. I'm just glad that those aren't required for me to learn... Jumping kicks aren't too bad though, just the one's that require some height.

I've just kind of lost hope or desire for those kicks.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
And actually, since I had some experience in olympic TKD (before I started getting injuries), I am able to tell someone pointers on how to do those difficult kicks. Strange, I know...

OP
Shaderon

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What kind of things do you have problems with? I always work a lot on my back kicks and of course my left leg.

It's my coordination at the moment, and staying in the air long enough to do a decent flying kick is a problem. I'll get there though, it's coming with practice, my coordination is much better than it was a year ago when I first started. I do have problems with any technique when I first try it but that's normal isn't it. <---- rhetorical question.

My kick combos are a mess, but... try try try again. Perseverance is me.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Straight back kick. I can do it fine on my own with shoes on, but in the dojang, on the mat barefoot, I can't seem to spin around without extra footwork.

I haven't done many jump kicks yet but I'm not looking forward to it since I've got arthritis in both knees. Among other places.

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My high roundhouse is absolutely deplorable! For some reason my hips stay "locked" and the height isn't there. However doing the short "pi chagi" or quick sport kick, I can go head high since my hip isn't locked. I'm still trying to get the regular roundhouse higher doing flexibility drills.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
My high roundhouse is absolutely deplorable! For some reason my hips stay "locked" and the height isn't there. However doing the short "pi chagi" or quick sport kick, I can go head high since my hip isn't locked. I'm still trying to get the regular roundhouse higher doing flexibility drills.

I'm the same way on the slow moving warm- up kicks. Get me moving, and I can get them real high, though. Hopefully my new class that I just signed up for will help me loosen up...

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jump spinning inside outside kick. I just can't get the height to complete the spin AND get the right leg up.

Latest Discussions