Differnces in the Taijiquan

Goku2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Both resisting and yielding are all bad solutions. The reason is you are react as your opponent want you to react. IMO, the best solution is to take the control back and attack. The question is how to that?
I cannot help you understand this, but I'll give it a try. One follows (yield, if you will) until your opponent 'runs out' of his own. Change must occur. The video you posted is not of a very skilled player as there is too much of a gap between opponents.

Goku2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I cannot help you understand this, but I'll give it a try. One follows (yield, if you will) until your opponent 'runs out' of his own. Change must occur. The video you posted is not of a very skilled player as there is too much of a gap between opponents.
One 'sticks' closer so that one is able to 'read' the opponent. Think of this: You do NOT let a kicker kick - you close the gap, not allowing his/her room to launch an attack.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Both resisting and yielding are all bad solutions. The reason is you are reacting as your opponent wants you to react.
There are two components to the reaction: spatial and temporal. You (KFW) are only thinking about spatial: going where the opponent wants. However, if we consider the temporal component, a good tai chi artist goes where the opponent wants (sticking), but sooner than the opponent wants him to (sensing & anticipating), closing the distance and staying "in the game", maintaining options. Actually, by staying close, black would not be going where white wants: white depends on a specific orientation (distance and angle), and black need not oblige.

One follows (yield, if you will) until your opponent 'runs out' of his own. Change must occur. The video you posted is not of a very skilled player as there is too much of a gap between opponents.
Yes -- the black shirt is not sensing or sticking in order to anticipate, but instead is waiting for white shirt to define the interaction.

One 'sticks' closer so that one is able to 'read' the opponent. Think of this: You do NOT let a kicker kick - you close the gap, not allowing his/her room to launch an attack.
Yes. A good Tai chi artist would be aware enough to sense that the pull was coming (before white shirt reached full extension) and move in to push white shirt, disrupt him, or strike. Black shirt is very slow: why is he standing there, not even turning as white shirt moves around him before reaching full extension? He should have turned with white shirt and closed the gap, never allowing white to get beside/behind him, and should have moved with white shirt, never allowing him to get that far away.

Of course, another option for black would be to spiral his arm to release white's grip.

Last edited:

Goku2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I agree - I missed the temporal big time!

ChenAn

Green Belt
Reaction score
I used to have a student who asked a lot of questions like "how to react on this" or "what to do on that"..I always answer him - I don't know how I will react or what I will do unless you try. Then depending on your action I will do what my body feel is appropriate at the moment.

Similar answer come to mind on posted video above. The only thing I think is wrong in to do is resist to the pull. Whatever will follow next - weather its going to be sealing, the gap, following , kicking, punching , locking or any combination of thereof totally depends on my sensitivity and reaction...

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I used to have a student who asked a lot of questions like "how to react on this" or "what to do on that"..I always answer him - I don't know how I will react or what I will do unless you try.
Whenever my students ask me such question, I would always tell them that instead of reacting to their opponent's attack, they should take they control back.

In this "circle running arm dragging" example, you should neither resist nor yield because that's exactly what your opponent want you to do. The "arm dragging" is a "door opening" move. Depending on your opponent's reaction, it open many doors for you. In order to take your control back, you can use "引(Yin) - arm guiding" to press across the elbow joint of his dragging arm (this will interrupt his arm dragging). At the same time if you step in front of his leading leg (this will interrupt his circular footwork), you can then take your control back and apply your counter.

Last edited:

ChenAn

Green Belt
Reaction score
Whenever my students ask me such question, I would always tell them that instead of reacting to their opponent's attack, they should take they control back.

In this "arm dragging" example, you should neither resist nor yield. When your opponent use his arm to drag your arm, you can use "引(Yin) - arm guiding" to press across the elbow joint of his dragging arm. At the same time if you step in front of his leading leg to interrupt his circular footwork, you can take your control back and counter with a beautify "head lock leg blocking" throw.

When it comes to usage I'd rather show than talk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk