Differing kias

Kodora

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello all --

Here's a question that's kinda silly, but I thought I'd ask, anyway:

In my dojo I've noticed that everyone has their own kia. I've heard, "Eye-ts!" "Tao!" "Aya-tsa!" "Eee-ya!" "Tsai!" "Huuh!" amongst others. Some of us come from different MA backgrounds, so I wonder if that has something to do with it... Anyway, my question is, is there a "best" sound to kia, or is it just a highly personalized thing? I've heard it's not necessarily the best thing to use a kia with a consonent, but other than that, I've no idea.

Thanks!

Kodora :)

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
iv always been told its what ever sound you make, everyone is different

mj_lover

Blue Belt
Reaction score
wow, nice question. from my own shelterd ma experiance, i have noticed as a dojo,, there is minimal variation, but there is a large variation in clubs. for example, at kenpo, we use an "I" sound, at tkd its more of an "OP"-ish sound..

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Most of us in our Dojo use the kia sound, but as long as it comes from deep within any sound(with reason) which makes you feel comfortable can be used.

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
I seem to always end in an 's' sound, that way I'm sure I'm not holding my breath. Actually, I usually just do a forceful exhale and don't really make a "normal" kiai noise.

D

Drifter

When I kia, it is generally at several points throughout the technique, and short, small bursts of air in a teakettle type noise, but not high pitched.

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
To get the kids away from shouting the Kiai word, I encourage them to use the "hhutt" sound which worked so well in fulfilling the basic requirements of Kiai, that I encourage all new senior students to use the "HUT" sound to help them "find" and develop their own Kiai.
Richard

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've found over the years that any Single Sound Like "Ice" "Oos" "Hut" Seems to work the best the object is to Build Power, Tighten your Diaphram, and Scare the Crap out of your opponent. Many schools will call this the "First Attact"

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think he means First Attack?

I think the yell, is in accordance to one's personally and vocals. Some people have the ability to deepen it. Some have more of a higher pitch.

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thread on this topic (and my reply) here:

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22333&page=2&pp=15

A proper kiai will have a close relationship with your breathing, though the exact sound (especially consonants) may differ. It's a useful diagnostic tool with which to discover how you're breathing into a particular technique. The way the kiai feels when you use it also gives you tips on the relationship between proper breathing and posture. For instance, if you find yourself forcing any part of it your posture isn't giving your diaphragm enough room.

Since the very end of a strike hits the structural limit of how your body can move without compressing the diaphragm, a good kiai removes a possible brake in speed and power. Eventually, you can internalize the shout and release the breath naturally, enhancing the bellows effect of a strike. Unifying the movement and breath is also a way to ensure *inhalation* when movement would naturally allow the diaphragm to expand, keeping you from being winded.

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There are three reasons for a kia;

1. To exhale when you get hit or fall, to expel air voluntarily on contact.

2. To scare or intimidate your opponent audibly.

3. To add power to your technique by making you less buoyant on your impact.

Doesn't matter what sound you use but Kias should be short, and your body should replicate the actions of a sneeze. In fact, that's what I tell people a Kia is, a controlled sneeze, they can usually get it in a matter of minutes and do them well.

DarK LorD

Reactions: MJS

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, don't agree with the sneeze bit , breathing through the wrong orifices.
It does matter what sound you make!

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
kenpoworks said:
Sorry, don't agree with the sneeze bit , breathing through the wrong orifices.
It does matter what sound you make!

Wrong orifice, should I kia out my bunghole or what?

I notice you didn't explain what sound and why?

DarK LorD

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In Brief..
"I encourage all new senior students to use the "HUT" sound to help them "find" and develop their own Kiai."

"HUTT" is just a learning tool, breathing in the MA has to be worked on just like say kicking.
This sound "forcefully" expels air from the body, fortifies the body as well as reinforcing a delivered strike.
I sometimes use the example of a tennis player's "service shout" or a weightlifters "grunt" when trying to explain to studnts the diverse benefits of developing a "kiai", as well as other breathing techniques.
It is important to be able to empty the lungs instantly in some cases (eg when landing on your back from a throw) to avoid real injury.
So at white belt level building practice around a simple word like hutt makes the student consider the importance of correct breathing from day one.
As for frightening your opponent with a loud kiai, well it may work!
Richard

Latest Discussions