Different Style(s) of Tai Chi Chuan

OP
CrushingFist

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nothing in my area about that style.
Today I was reading about the guy that told me long time ago maybe 1-2yrs ago about Yangjia Michuan I found his site , I didn't even know he was a Taiji Sifu,

http://www.elementaltaichi.com/ymt.cfm
Sifu Napier .. I like this section
http://www.elementaltaichi.com/background.cfm
The Articles are great man. I am no one to say but I recommend you and everyone reading those articles and this one
http://www.aymta.org/home/journal/zqlpt1.html

It made my day. Sifu Napier sounds like a real true teacher.

Quoted from his article "
By the early 20th century the Yang taiji masters were realizing that taiji offered important health benefits as well as martial arts excellence. Taijiquan, which literally means “Grand Ultimate Fist”, may be the only martial art today that one can practice for a lifetime and become stronger and healthier, rather than beaten up and broken down. Today it is practiced by more people for health reasons than for martial arts practice, but properly taught, it remains a martial art. The best health gains come from practicing it as a martial art, even if you have no martial intentions.

OP
CrushingFist

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Going on Monday to visit Yangjia Michuan Taijiquan
Still reading around about the difference with Sun style, Wu, Yang, Chen Taijiquan, and after that I'll do the same about Bagua and then XIngyi, then read some Yiquan, then start School search again

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
CrushingFist said:
Going on Monday to visit Yangjia Michuan Taijiquan
Still reading around about the difference with Sun style, Wu, Yang, Chen Taijiquan, and after that I'll do the same about Bagua and then XIngyi, then read some Yiquan, then start School search again

Good Luck

I am interested to hear what you thought about it.

OP
CrushingFist

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well just came from Yangjia Michuan Taijiquan class
it was __________ Great !
Since I never been to any taichichuan schools before this is my first, it was very good , I was the youngest one .

There were 3 teachers there, both students of the main teacher.
They treated me well, respect.
We started off with 30 minutes of stretching and warm up exercises I haven't done before. Then we went onto the next room bigger, with Air flow, and more people came not a big group just enough to focus and we started doing Section 3, they asked me if I found it hard to go to the side wit 3 beginners to learn Section 1, I stood with the advanced students practicing Section 3, It was long. But I was concentrating it was nice and I didn't sweat as much as I would when I was in kung-fu or be tired

I actually came a lil hungry and I got less hungrier, and got more energy, time went by without me noticing it. A big difference is this yangjia michuan is not like the other yang styles people say that just stay on 1 level , here we were rising, sinking, etc .

By the way, here I have a lil paper I got before I started doing section 3

List of the names of the form movements. maybe it'll be helpful for you guys.

1. Get Ready
2. Begin
3. (R/L) Draw Across (Cai)
4. (L) Push (An)
5. (L) Single Arm Sweep
6. Jab
7. (R/L) Turn, Hold Off (Peng); Grasp the Sparrow's Tail; Seal it Closed
8. (R) Step Forward; Draw Downward (Cai)
9. (L) Single Whip
10. (R/L) Draw Downward (Cai), Elbow (Zhou), Shoulder (Kao)
11. (R) Step Forward, Thrust the Palm to the Heart
12. (L) Step Back, the White Crane Spreads its Wings
13. (L) Brush the Knee, Twist Step
14. Wield the Pipa
15. (R/L) Turn, Draw Downward (Cai); Brush the Knee, Twist Step; Wield The Pipa
16. (R/L) Turn, Draw Downward (Cai); Step Forward, Pull Up, Block, Punch; Seal it Closed
17. Cross the Hands
18. Carry the Tiger Back to the Mountain

Also, towards the end we were practicing Push Hands, I did also.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
CrushingFist said:
here we were rising, sinking, etc .

Actually traditional Yang does rise and sink, but that is neither here nor there as long as you felt comfortable in the class and it is giving you what you want that is great.

CrushingFist said:
Also, towards the end we were practicing Push Hands, I did also.

I have never heard of a Tai Chi class that starts push hands in the first class before, or before the first form is finished. What did you think of the push hands and what what the purpose of the push hands they had you doing, martial, centering, finding your opponents center, Qi Gong, etc,? (just curious)

How many sections are there?
And do all sections have 18 forms?

Thanks for the list of forms, they all sound very familiar to me.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
That list looks somewhat different from what I'm familiar with in the Yang style I learned, but I recognize most of the postures. It looks like that covers one complete section of the form, most likely the first. I suspect that there are three major sections, but that's assuming the form CrushingFist is learning is structured similarly to what I'm familiar with (learned myself and read about). Doing push hands that soon does seem early, but perhaps with one section down, the teacher figured the class could do some basics. *shrug*

OP
CrushingFist

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
Actually traditional Yang does rise and sink, but that is neither here nor there as long as you felt comfortable in the class and it is giving you what you want that is great.

I have never heard of a Tai Chi class that starts push hands in the first class before, or before the first form is finished. What did you think of the push hands and what what the purpose of the push hands they had you doing, martial, centering, finding your opponents center, Qi Gong, etc,? (just curious)

How many sections are there?
And do all sections have 18 forms?

Thanks for the list of forms, they all sound very familiar to me.

Push Hands was at the end, After we finished the form

OP
CrushingFist

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
GOod News!

The Yangjia Michuan guy is going to run sunday classes at the park, though there'll be sundays he wont be around. This sounds good. Sunday mornings having a feeling with nature :)

Myrmidon

Green Belt
Reaction score
You may want to visit Master Chen Zhonghua's website for good martial taijiquan. He has a couple of disciples teaching in the NY area.

www.chenzhonghua.com

OP
CrushingFist

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, I've came to conclusions.

Yangjia Michuan Taijiquan
Yin Cheng Gong Fu
Wu Tang Physical Assoc.
Shaolin Temple KF

thats what I'll be going for

OP
CrushingFist

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My cousin visited the USA SHaolin Temple. ANd it was probably the most overpriced school I ever heard of. It's $120 for KF, but ChiKung, TaiChi are not included, so if you want ChiKung + TaiChi I don't know how much extra it would be. So thats definately out the list and I don't think I would be able to handle such a commercial place anyways.

He's thought about certain things too, because mainly he wants to loose-weight but learn the arts too, and since the Temple teaches Chan'Buddhism and he's a Philosopher also taking Zen Buddhism classes. But he's been wanting to go to China for the past 7months to Hubei to the Wudang Temple because thats what he wants.

I've been researching on wudang lately and saw some videos on youtube and it's the most amazing thing I ever seen in my life. I seen some Wudang Bagua, Wudang TaiChiChuan.. can't recall if I saw any Wudang Xingyi. But anyways I started a topic on Wudang in America and look forward to hear you guys mature opinion and answers on it.

I greatly appreciate it.

OP
CrushingFist

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The content of Wudang wushu is extremely abundant. The following will introduce some of the main points of the system. Wudang Taijiquan is an outstanding style from the Wudang Sect. The style consists of eight routes with 108 postures. The movements are slow, even, and soft using spiralling and circular energy to spread the internal energy throughout the body. This style has incorporated the circulation of internal energy found in Taiji, the issuing of power found in Xingyi, and the body methods of Bagua into one body. Consequently, Wudang Taijiquan is an extremely functional martial art.

That's basically what I found .

OP
CrushingFist

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sorry after I refreshed the website it gave it to me like that unfortunately I thought it would of just been on my computer =X