Different Approaches to the Lap-Sau Drill

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Your friend Alan Lamb was fond of doing the Gwai Choi or "backfist" from the Bong-Lop. I believe he said he learned it from Koo Sang.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is your point? Alan is indeed a very good friend. Friends can have their own views and still be friends. Common sense!

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is your point? Alan is indeed a very good friend. Friends can have their own views and still be friends. Common sense!

My point? People can have their own views and still be friends. Common sense! Yet you posted somewhat negatively on a thread where I have shown the same thing that your friend Alan Lamb does! You do that quite often....make negative one-liner drive-by posts on my threads! So, I can't have my "own view"?

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
...on my threads! So, I can't have my "own view"?

You just don't like others having their own view on "your threads" if they are not agreeing with you.

You need to realize this is not KPMartialtalk.com. Not to mention, Geezer started this thread.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
You just don't like others having their own view on "your threads" if they are not agreeing with you.

You need to realize this is not KPMartialtalk.com. Not to mention, Geezer started this thread.

Oh, I have no problem with people disagreeing with me and giving feedback, as Phobius and Drop Bear did on this thread. What I object to is people simply arguing for argument's sake and being hypercritical without ever considering the responses provided and just continuing to argue. This is what you do regularly. In fact, it seems to be your sole reason for being here. And Joy....he never provides any justification for his dissent. He just disagrees with a negative one-liner. That's not very "friendly", constructive, or useful either.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is what you do regularly. In fact, it seems to be your sole reason for being here.

Actually, I offered quite a bit of information and insight into the system I train on this thread.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, I offered quite a bit of information and insight into the system I train on this thread.

Yeah, after arguing, deflecting, insulting...eventually you get around to actually sharing something constructive. But the "noise to signal" ratio is pretty excessive! ;)

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, after arguing, deflecting, insulting...eventually you get around to actually sharing something constructive. But the "noise to signal" ratio is pretty excessive! ;)

If you didn't want to arrogantly fight me on what's in my system while having no knowledge or experience to draw from, then this would be nothing but constructive.

karatejj

Green Belt
Reaction score

Hey dude you did offer some good info on you're system. But can you explain why so different to standard wing chun like WC and boxing sifu KPM?

Thx

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey dude you did offer some good info on you're system. But can you explain why so different to standard wing chun like WC and boxing sifu KPM?

Thx
---------------------------------------------------------------------
KPM wanders all over the place.I dont want to write a book with each wandering. I dont care to debate with KPM. Hence this post is an FYI on backfisting for list members. In the heat of battle unorthodox movements
can legitimately arise perhaps something that may look like a backfist. But training the backfist is not the best idea.
A backfist is generally more of an arm movement rather than fists that emerge from the core "mother line". The best fists can use a small hole in the opponents structure for their path.
In passing,Ip Man did not backfist neither did those students who completed their wiing chun with Ip Man.

karatejj

Green Belt
Reaction score
KPM wanders all over the place.I dont want to write a book with each wandering. I dont care to debate with KPM. Hence this post is an FYI on backfisting for list members. In the heat of battle unorthodox movements
can legitimately arise perhaps something that may look like a backfist. But training the backfist is not the best idea.
A backfist is generally more of an arm movement rather than fists that emerge from the core "mother line". The best fists can use a small hole in the opponents structure for their path.
In passing,Ip Man did not backfist neither did those students who completed their wiing chun with Ip Man.

Thanks for great info!

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

Ah! More than a negative one liner! As I pointed out before, Alan Lamb taught a backfist as a routine part of the Lop Da drill and I believe ha said he learned it from Koo Sang. The Gwai choi punch is found in many mainland styles including Pin Sun and Yuen Kay Shan Wing Chun. There is a time and place for different punches. It is not "unorthodox" unless you have a somewhat narrow and dogmatic view of wing chun. Like LFJ you seem to think that all wing chun should be Ip Man wing chun!

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like LFJ you seem to think that all wing chun should be Ip Man wing chun!

I don't think that.

I think YMVT was not multiple contradictory understandings of the same material taught by the same man, though.

karatejj

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ah! More than a negative one liner! As I pointed out before, Alan Lamb taught a backfist as a routine part of the Lop Da drill and I believe ha said he learned it from Koo Sang. The Gwai choi punch is found in many mainland styles including Pin Sun and Yuen Kay Shan Wing Chun. There is a time and place for different punches. It is not "unorthodox" unless you have a somewhat narrow and dogmatic view of wing chun. Like LFJ you seem to think that all wing chun should be Ip Man wing chun!

All info is good info man. We weave are own life from stuff what other folks leave behind!

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
Jut Chuen - "Sinking/Shocking & Threading": Sometimes called Laap Kuen or Laap Da (pull/fist or pull/strike), this is similar to the Laap Sao/Laap Da drill done by other Wing Chun lineages, but mechanically different in function. This is a training platform used to practice free flow of techniques and counters, to learn to control the range and apply forward intent to your movements, bridging the gap between Lat Sao and Chi Sao. Jut Chuen is the primary training platform used by the Hong Kong/IWTA side of the WT lineage, as opposed to the Lat Sao program used by the EWTO.

Reactions: KPM

Latest Discussions