Differences in lineages

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just to add fire to the flames...

It is nice to know your history, but don't focus on it too much. If a one arm elf taught me how to do good martial arts, it wouldn't make a difference to me

My instructor is a chubby caucasian elf and teaches great stuff. Does that count?

Ben Grimm

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I like the Pan Nam lineage. Chi Sau has some nice clawing motions in it. I'm not a practitioner of that lineage, but a friend of mine is. We did some Chi Sau, and he clawed me across the face gently. All I could think of was What The F***! This lineage looks a lot more like Southern Shaolin than Modern WC.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm from a non Yip Man lineage wing chun . There are others as well you simple have to do research.

Yes it is easy to do the research on the net but always nice for someone from another lineage to talk about how they do things as well.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree..If someone asks I tell, but mostly I keep my opinions to my self.

What's the point of being on a forum!!!
Opinions change all the time - that is part of learning

I have a feeling you are from the Benny Meng school of thought so in all honesty I will probably ignore your posts anyway, but that doesn't stop you from chatting to other people

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I have a feeling you are from the Benny Meng school of thought so in all honesty I will probably ignore your posts anyway, but that doesn't stop you from chatting to other people

Sheesh!... somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed today. But, thats OK, I tend to ignore what everybody else says anyway!

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score

I'm not from the Benny Ming school of though. If you like to ignore me its up to you. I guess you can tell about me from one post.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm not from the Benny Ming school of though. If you like to ignore me its up to you. I guess you can tell about me from one post.

Not at all. As I said, my problem is with Benny Meng. I just had a feeling that you were from the same school as Meng

I do not like instructors who declare that there way is the 'true' style and everything else sucks

These include
Benny Meng
William Cheung
Leung Ting (although he has calmed down a bit)

At the end of the day, training is training and right or wrong techniques should not be decided through lineage

I once saw a karate guy who trained in the 'secret' art of Okinawan karate and claimed to be one of the only people in the world who knew 'true karate'. In the end, some guy totally embarassed him and exposed him as the fraud he was

My wing chun is not the best and there are better fighters out there than me, I just wish that other instructors would have the balls to admit that too. We are all students, and that is why I respect Ip Chun (no matter what people say of him), because he is known for saying that he is still learning new things all the time

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not at all. As I said, my problem is with Benny Meng. I just had a feeling that you were from the same school as Meng

I do not like instructors who declare that there way is the 'true' style and everything else sucks

These include
Benny Meng
William Cheung

At the end of the day, training is training and right or wrong techniques should not be decided through lineage

I once saw a karate guy who trained in the 'secret' art of Okinawan karate and claimed to be one of the only people in the world who knew 'true karate'. In the end, some guy totally embarassed him and exposed him as the fraud he was

My wing chun is not the best and there are better fighters out there than me, I just wish that other instructors would have the balls to admit that too. We are all students, and that is why I respect Ip Chun (no matter what people say of him), because he is known for saying that he is still learning new things all the time

I agree with your post 100% I don't think I have the one an only true secret original Wing Chun either. I do believe that the Wing Chun I've learned from my current teacher is very good and the best I've seen in the 25 years I've been training in Wing Chun. I say that from my own personal experience having had 6 traditional wing Chun teachers and 2 other teachers that mixed Wing Chun with other stuff. All style and linesages are good and valid.It's very simple if what you are learning is working for you then it's fine. It does not matter if you can trace it the Shaolin temple or someones basement.If it works for you then it's a good system. Styles don't suck only people suck.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Your welcome. Are you from Duncan Leung lineage?

No and I am now regretting that I didn't take the time to at least check out the school and possibly join.

I am from Va Beach, VA but wasn't interested in WC until it got time for me to take my new job in Minnesota. There are only 2 WC schools there, Duncan Leung's and a Moy Yat school. When I go back I may try and visit.

Now that I am in Minnesota I am under Moy Yat for now and it is ironic that my Sifu's teacher is the instructor at the Moy Yat school in Va Beach.

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
No and I am now regretting that I didn't take the time to at least check out the school and possibly join.

I am from Va Beach, VA but wasn't interested in WC until it got time for me to take my new job in Minnesota. There are only 2 WC schools there, Duncan Leung's and a Moy Yat school. When I go back I may try and visit.

Now that I am in Minnesota I am under Moy Yat for now and it is ironic that my Sifu's teacher is the instructor at the Moy Yat school in Va Beach.

I studied also under Moy Yat for a very brief time in NYC Chinatown back in the early 80's and a student of his also. In the Yip Man lineage in NYC Duncan/ allen lee lineage is real good IMO back when Duncan was in NYC. I have a good friend who's a sifu under that lineage,but then again it depends on what you like.Moy yat and Duncan are very diiferrent IMO.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a good friend who's a sifu under that lineage,but then again it depends on what you like.Moy yat and Duncan are very diiferrent IMO.

What would you say are some differences between the two?
As a beginner I couldn't tell the differences between the 2 if I sat and watched them alone on a bright sunny day.
I sit back now and really kick myself for not taking the time to go to Duncan Leung's school to see how it is. I think a guy by the name of Gordon runs the school.

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There's a bit more than that going on in MN! We have EBMAS for one, my Sifu tells me about his old WC Sifu named Ning (sp?) who also teaches in Twin Cities area. (not sure if that is your Moy Yat sifu)

Museumtech

White Belt
Reaction score

These include
Benny Meng
William Cheung

KG. Benny has learned a style that is from outside the Leung Jan Lineage. One that was closed school. Wiliam Cheung was taught the 'closed school version from Yip Man. The two are very similar. This is not surprising if there was a Wing Chun taught to those who paid (an effective one never the less) while the 'traditional' system was kept to a limited few.

You seem to be closed to this fact and the fact that both gentlemen may be correct. Master Ting is funny though. He first claimed that there was no secret WC then suddenly there was, and he was the sole possessor.

Peter

Latest Discussions