Differences between Ju jitsu and BJJ

K

Kenpo_student

I have signed up to take a class in ju jitsu for the next three months. I am just curious what the differences are between Japaness ju jitsu and Brazilian ju jitsu. I am just asking because I am familiar with BJJ thru Pride fc and UFC but I haven't heard much about traditional JJ. Thanks in advance.

:asian:

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's honestly very little in common between Jujutsu and BJJ. BJJ comes from Judo...which comes from Jujutsu. BJJ does most of it's work on the ground (ne-waza), while many Jujutsu traditions work from standing and controlling the opponent to and on the ground.

OP
K

Kenpo_student

Thanks for the reply. Does JJ use the same chokes and joint locks as BJJ or are those modified judo techniques also? Sorry I don't know much about this but I am new to MA and my main art is american Kenpo and I am taking the JJ to broaden my learning(and to get enough hours for student loans).

OP
T

tmanifold

BJJ is mostly 40's Judo but the chokes and joint locks carry over well from most styles of Classical Jujutsu. Judo pre 50's or 60's was alot more like Jujutsu than it is today.

Tony

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
BJJ philosophy is to get you down on the ground and apply some kind of choke, arm or foot submission. Most BJJ'ers cross train in boxing and or Muay Thai. JJJ uses alot of the same chokes and locks that BJJ does. But striking is more important to JJJ and they tend to want to stay standing up right. I believe JJJ teaches to deal with Mulitpal attackers better than BJJ. Overall IMO JJJ deals with real self defense senerios better than does BJJ. At lease that is the way I teach.
Bob :asian:

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Glad to hear it!

Jujitsu is the most effective self defence art I have encountered to date... Our school doesn't focus on striking (in fact, aside from 4 kicks, 1 elbow kata and 3 dangerous parts kata, I don't think strikijg while unarmed even comes into the syllabus), but controlling the opponent from the moment he tries to strike you. We use throws, joint manipulation and just good old fashoined pain to get to where we want to be: us standing, opponent on the floor in tears ;)

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just referred to as "Jitsu", run by the Jitsu foundation/association.

I nearly got my kneecap ruined yesterday! training with wooden knives.... :)

OP
C

Chu-Chulain

Originally posted by Aegis

Glad to hear it!

... Our school doesn't focus on striking (in fact, aside from 4 kicks, 1 elbow kata and 3 dangerous parts kata

I previously studied Samurai Jiu-Jitsu (yes that is how we spelled it!) in England. This style travelled from Japan to Australia and then to England where it spread through Universities.

Since coming to the States I have tried to find a similar versions, but BJJ is so widespread now its almost impossible to find the more traditional schools.

We also had a 3 dangerous parts kata, which I am wondering if similar. In your style is it head, front body and rear body with 8 strikes each? Also is most focus on defense techniques using locks and throws?

I am currently studying Kenpo, in which there are some similar defense techniques, but only limited body manipulation (throws and locks).

OP
H

Humble artist

I´d agree that BJJ and JJ don´t have much in common and should be kept separate.
I don´t understand why they picked up the name "jiu-jitsu" for that Brazilian art which is clearly japanese (luckily it differs a bit verbally as "jiujitsu" would be incorrect in jap.)
BJJ deals very much with groundfighting,don´t know of any other art with such emphasis,some wrestling comes to mind maybe.
Some people confuse jujutsu to be a grappling art but it is often very well rounded and includes all basic levels of combat including weapon work,even though there are arts with bigger grappling orientation.

You will have very little problem finding information on traditional jujutsu,it being one of the biggest MA around,father of judo and aikido as an example.

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chu-Chulain

I previously studied Samurai Jiu-Jitsu (yes that is how we spelled it!) in England. This style travelled from Japan to Australia and then to England where it spread through Universities.

Since coming to the States I have tried to find a similar versions, but BJJ is so widespread now its almost impossible to find the more traditional schools.

We also had a 3 dangerous parts kata, which I am wondering if similar. In your style is it head, front body and rear body with 8 strikes each? Also is most focus on defense techniques using locks and throws?

I am currently studying Kenpo, in which there are some similar defense techniques, but only limited body manipulation (throws and locks).

Sounds like the same style! Though we don't call it samurai jiu-jitsu any more, just Jitsu.

OP
S

sammy3170

BJJ and regular JJ are similar as far as the grappling portion goes however there is no stand up fighting in BJJ (excluding takedowns). BJJ focus alot on the competiton side of things yet there are many effective techniques which can be used in the street just as there are in Judo. The only gripe I have with BJJ is the fact that they claim a lot of things as their own when in reality that just isn't so. I learnt what the BJJ stylists call the triangle choke long before it became popular so it is really just another form of grappling which due to the fact that that is all it teaches it is very complete as far as fighting on the ground goes.

Cheers
Sammy

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Judo Came from Ju Jutsu
BJJ comes from Judo
So Y not call it
Jiu Jitsu

Makes sence to me

OP
Q

Qasim

It isn't jujutsu, just as judo isn't jujutsu. By that line of reasoning, Aikido isn't Aikido, it's jujutsu. It also came from jujutsu. Techniques that make up jujutsu were removed and those remaining were modified and other techniques added.

In the case of Brazillian Wrestling, the combat aspects have been stripped. Jujutsu was created as the samurai's unarmed combat to be utilized on the battlefield when his weapons were not available to him (ie: damaged, or if he was disarmed or if he was just not able to use them).

Imagine trying to use Brazillian Wrestling on the battlefield with other people around you. A few hundred men rolling around on the ground trying to choke each other out or get a submission. The same can be applied to self defense today. Brazillian wrestler is attacked and he takes his attacker to the ground. Before he can finish him off, the guy's friends show up and he says, "Hold on now, I need time to incapacitate your friend here and then I'll take the rest of you on one at a time."

:erg:

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I under stand were U are comin from.
But in respect it is still Ju Jitsu.

To call it some thing else would be moer disrespectful
Than calling it something else.

Also Wasnt it All called Yawara first & later Ju Jutsu

There are many styles of Ju Jitsu
& Bjj guyes Usely come in trains of people.

My post is one of this if they called it something else.
People would have been ticked off & said all ther doing is
Ju Jitsu under a different name.

One should be proud that Ju Jitsu Has so many Face's
& can ofer people more than one thery of combat.

Primo

OP
Q

Qasim

Originally posted by ace

I under stand were U are comin from.
But in respect it is still Ju Jitsu.

To call it some thing else would be moer disrespectful
Than calling it something else.

Also Wasnt it All called Yawara first & later Ju Jutsu

There are many styles of Ju Jitsu
& Bjj guyes Usely come in trains of people.

My post is one of this if they called it something else.
People would have been ticked off & said all ther doing is
Ju Jitsu under a different name.

One should be proud that Ju Jitsu Has so many Face's
& can ofer people more than one thery of combat.

Primo

Do you practice martial arts? If so, what do you practice and for how long?

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes I am a Black Belt in Modern Arnis.
I teach Submisson Grappling.
& have competed in M.M.A 1-0 ( Win By inside heel hook)

I have won the USJJF N.Y.State Ju Jitsu title twice
I have Won 4 opean N.Y. StateJu Jitsu Titles
I won the 2001 USJJF Nationl title
I won the 2001 JJIF north american title

I cross train in Wrestling with Jdenz
& have practise JkD, Kali. Mauy Thai & Bondo

I love Martial Arts & respect them all

Primo

OP
J

JDenz

I think what Primo is saying is people have 2 hands and 2 feet there are only so many diffrent ways of fighting. Everything was once something else and will be reinvented agian as something new.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tumbs up Jdenz U said it all
Primo

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to agree that BJJ should not be recognised as a style of Jujitsu. To my mind, only the -do suffixed martial arts are safe enough to even consider using them as sport. BJJ is basically Judo with a few karate-do strikes.

I'm not trying to be offensive to the BJJ practicioners here, I jus don't think a sport should ever be a jutsu (or vice versa).