Difference between Okinawan and Japanese Karate

OP
K-man

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm thinking that if you ask a native Okinawan Karate man this question......and a native Japanese Karate man this question.......I want to sit ringside.
Mate, it's a no contest. The Japanese guy will be in the ring by himself!
:D

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i thought i would post some Oki kata since this is a thread on it,,dont know why we got TSD vids here. but the comparison is cadence and emphisis is interesting.
[edit video]
|
Thanks for contributing. I found that very interesting as well. Will take a closer look....

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If it's TSD it's hyung. It is a simplified version of karate kata with often added kicks. I know them but much prefer Wado versions, actually prefer Wado to the Shotokan versions too. :)
|
Thanks for the TSD hyung perspective. I found them interesting because TSD practitioners seem to place a larger emphasis on hyung than the Japanese styles as a generality....
|
How would compare the Wado Ryu kata against the Okinawan kata, or say a similar style of Okinawan karate? Are they much more in line?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
|
Thanks for the TSD hyung perspective. I found them interesting because TSD practitioners seem to place a larger emphasis on hyung than the Japanese styles as a generality....
|
How would compare the Wado Ryu kata against the Okinawan kata, or say a similar style of Okinawan karate? Are they much more in line?

From what I've seen the Wado and Shotokan kata are very similar, I don't actually know a lot about other styles kata, only that when Iain Abernethy teaches Bunkai from his Wado katas it seems to be applicable to a lot of styles including TKD.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
However this maybe of interest to karateka because Iain has today just brought out a really good video about the Bunkai of the backflips found in many kata.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mate, it's a no contest. The Japanese guy will be in the ring by himself!
:D

Lol. True dat!

While aware of the geography, I'm also aware of the differences. That's not to say that members of different styles would ever disagree. Especially not us sweet, open minded Karate guys.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I DON'T LIKE THIS KATA RENDITION:
I may be all wet ,but this strikes me as someone who knows how to perfectly WALK through kata, going through motions...
|
BTW: Did a little research on these basic kata, hyung, poomse,? whatever....
|
The very first move by this master is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

so what do you see that is wrong about the first move? the major thing i dont like is the up and down bounce throughout the kata. now this could just be because he is relaxed and walking thru it,, but i would guess he dosent even know he is doing it or that the head should be level thru the kata.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so what do you see that is wrong about the first move? the major thing i dont like is the up and down bounce throughout the kata. now this could just be because he is relaxed and walking thru it,, but i would guess he dosent even know he is doing it or that the head should be level thru the kata.

After Wado I did TSD to black belt and that's not how we did that, the feet movements are different as is the 'speed' along with as you say the bounce.
What I think is shows, as with most videos posted up, that different 'groups' do the same things different ways!
Perhaps though it can be see why after Wado ( my first and eternal love lol) I found TSD a bit 'simplistic?

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
From what I've seen the Wado and Shotokan kata are very similar, I don't actually know a lot about other styles kata, only that when Iain Abernethy teaches Bunkai from his Wado katas it seems to be applicable to a lot of styles including TKD.
|
Yes. That's how I look at traditional karate. IA's approach fits across styles.... Why his work is so important....

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
|
You know, I tend to move up & down between kata steps. I get called on that all the time by one of the instructors I work closely with. Thanks for mentioning that.... You want to keep the head level-ish....
|
On the 1st step issue, I just put that out for discussion.... really not central to the larger issues, as K-Man says.... But it is a tip-off.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, I tend to move up & down between kata steps

If you are watching a class of students doing the bobbing up and down thing during a kata you get a very definite seasickness feeling!

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are watching a class of students doing the bobbing up and down thing during a kata you get a very definite seasickness feeling!
|
I'm one of the few guilty ones @ my dojo... thank goodness.....

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here they are practising kihon, or basics, and unfortunately many Western karate schools have never advanced beyond the kihon, perhaps the main reason why people with little or no karate training jump on the 'karate is useless' band wagon.

I don't follow why you single out Western Karate schools for one dimensional training. Take a look at this:

How does that look any different than Westernised Karate?

And no, there is no point in fast forwarding... This is traditional Shotokan, taught by a Japanese Master (JKA).

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't follow why you single out Western Karate schools for one dimensional training. Take a look at this:

And no, there is no point in fast forwarding... This is traditional Shotokan, taught by a Japanese Master (JKA).

In an American Dojo so it is still 'Westernised' So what do you think is wrong with it....

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
In an American Dojo so it is still 'Westernised' So what do you think is wrong with it....

I don't think that's time well spent, out of all the techniques in Karate.. One guy wanted to talk to me when I got out my TKD school and he commented on this very exact thing, saying they just had him (in Karate) throw never ending straight punches, which, in his own words, was something he could do from his mothers stomach (before being born that is) and not exactly what he looked for in Karate.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think that's time well spent, out of all the techniques in Karate.. One guy wanted to talk to me when I got out my TKD school and he commented on this very exact thing, saying they just had him (in Karate) throw never ending straight punches, which, in his own words, was something he could do from his mothers stomach (before being born that is) and not exactly what he looked for in Karate.

Well your boastful 'friend' was incorrect on quite a few points and so are you for believing him. For one thing a baby doesn't sit in the mother's stomach...a baby grows in the mother's womb, a completely different thing.
And what makes you the expert to say what is a waste of time or not? Don't you think you ought to get more experience under your belt before opining on things you don't have any understanding of?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
:rolleyes:
Who's your daddy?!!

OP
K-man

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I'm sorry! Where did I say Western Karate schools were one dimensional? What I did say that most have never progressed beyond training kihon and there are several reasons for that.

What you have done (in a thread on the differences between Okinawan and Japanese karate) is post a video of a Japanese style of karate (Shotokan) practising kihon which just happens to be in America and being lead by a Japanese teacher. By itself it means absolutely nothing. We have no idea of what other training they do beyond training kihon.

So I'm not sure why you are asking why is it different to Westernised karate. It is Shotokan karate kihon being trained the way kihon is trained.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
So I'm not sure why you are asking why is it different to Westernised karate. It is Shotokan karate kihon being trained the way kihon is trained.

In the clip posted, supposed to represent Traditional (Japanese) Shotokan training, they are stubbornly stuck in Kihon for the entire duration of the video.

Just sayin

Latest Discussions