Difference between Jodan Uke, and Jodan Age Uke?

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it's more a positional reference than a conceptual one. You're either giving the punch or receiving it. The person blocking is the receiver.
Which is one reason karate techniques still keep getting mistaken as blocks.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Is all in the translation into a bastardized language like English that the problems occur. I have written page upon page about some simple Japanese words and statements that are written in less than a line in Japanese.

We can block, parry, ward off, catch an attack acting as a receiver but basically in Japanese the verb used is ukeru because we are taking it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is all in the translation into a bastardized language like English that the problems occur. I have written page upon page about some simple Japanese words and statements that are written in less than a line in Japanese.

We can block, parry, ward off, catch an attack acting as a receiver but basically in Japanese the verb used is ukeru because we are taking it.
Translating even between similar languages (e.g.: Italian and French) has issues. Japanese and English are such different kinds of languages, it's nearly impossible to get a real translation between them on almost anything. Everything ends up being the best translation for a given context, and translating an entire word (in all contexts) is nigh unto impossible.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lol yes I know. Seven or eight translations of Musashi's Gorin no Sho out there. All interpretations done by people that have never even practiced his art. I have a fair amount of work but put it online for free. All adapted into modern Japanese by my mentors. I try to stick to the original Japanese words when possible.

Hyoho.com

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Block s the concept of stopping something, which is pretty much the opposite of receiving.

From a physical aspect I would agree. When you apply it as a mental state, they are the same. When receiving a punch, you mentally have to be accepting of it to remain in control of the situation. I hope it doesn't sound like I am just playing semantics, but I think it is an important concept. I wish I could find the video on youtube where an okinawan karate master is talking about this concept. It was very well done.

Latest Discussions