Did you have to do any kicking adjustments going from TaeKwonDo to Hapkido?

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I know that Hapkido emphasizes more circular kicks in terms of nr of techniques taught, but what about the kicks that both arts teach like side kicks and roundhouse kicks.. Were you told to do those kicks differently in Hapkido than in your TaeKwondo place?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know that Hapkido emphasizes more circular kicks in terms of nr of techniques taught, but what about the kicks that both arts teach like side kicks and roundhouse kicks.. Were you told to do those kicks differently in Hapkido than in your TaeKwondo place?

There's differences in how to do kicks between Taekwondo and Taekwondo. The general mechanics are always true, but different masters tend to favor a style that develops more power, speed, beauty, etc.

Hapkido is going to allow lower kicks than Taekwondo, such as kicks to the knee.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There's differences in how to do kicks between Taekwondo and Taekwondo. The general mechanics are always true, but different masters tend to favor a style that develops more power, speed, beauty, etc.

Hapkido is going to allow lower kicks than Taekwondo, such as kicks to the knee.

I'm asking about kicks to the same sections as in TKD, for instance a side and roundhouse kick to the waist and above..

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm asking about kicks to the same sections as in TKD, for instance a side and roundhouse kick to the waist and above..

Different TKD schools do roundhouse kicks differently. There's even less standardization between HKD schools. There may be differences. There may not. It depends on how your TKD school does things and how your HKD school does things. Maybe even less difference if it's the same master teaching both.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Different TKD schools do roundhouse kicks differently. There's even less standardization between HKD schools. There may be differences. There may not. It depends on how your TKD school does things and how your HKD school does things. Maybe even less difference if it's the same master teaching both.

I am asking you, the reader, if you had to make any adjustments.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I make adjustments but I'm having a hard time finding terms I like.
I'm generally staying more rooted while kicking due to the potential for low kicks and grabs.

In TKD, I like to float, bounce, and dance around. I don't have an attitude or center of gravity prepared to wrestle and hold ground many times.
But in Hapkido and other arts when it's a given that I will wrestle, the way I sit in my stance is different. When on one leg, I'm concerned with being able to return both feet to the ground and grapple. I sacrifice a bit of reach when I kick this way.
I kick this way often in TKD too.
But of all the various ways I train to throw various kicks in Taekwondo, I only use a few of those in Hapkido normally the way we trained.

@Acronym , what about you? Do you make adjustments; and if so, what have you figured out for yourself?

Last edited:
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Personally, I make adjustments but I'm having a hard time finding terms I like.
I'm generally staying more rooted while kicking due to the potential for low kicks and grabs.

In TKD, I like to float, bounce, and dance around. I don't have an attitude or center of gravity prepared to wrestle and hold ground many times.
But in Hapkido and other arts when it's a given that I will wrestle, the way I sit in my stance is different. When on one leg, I'm concerned with being able to return both feet to the ground and grapple. I sacrifice a bit of reach when I kick this way.
I kick this way often in TKD too.
But of all the various ways I train to throw various kicks in Taekwondo, I only use a few of those in Hapkido normally the way we trained.

@Acronym , what about you? Do you make adjustments; and if so, what have you figured out for yourself?

I have not been to any Hapkido club since there is no one around. How much time time did you spend kicking compared to joint manipulations?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I noticed that the Hapkido masters in movies tend to lower their base more for the wheel kicks. Taekwondo stylist are more upright.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This man is upright though, so maybe it was just those particular Hapkido masters.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't remember making any adjustments with kicking other than the stances. In Hapkido the stances were deeper than the TKD ones we did. It took a while to adjust to that.
I am responding late to your post. Just curious what style/branch of TKD you practice(d)? Moo Duk Kwan TKD uses rather deep stances, especially compared to KKW style walking stances. For comparison, ap kubi seogi is 2 shoulder widths deep and 1 shoulder width wide. Shoulder width is used to be relative to the persons build instead of a hard number.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am responding late to your post. Just curious what style/branch of TKD you practice(d)? Moo Duk Kwan TKD uses rather deep stances, especially compared to KKW style walking stances. For comparison, ap kubi seogi is 2 shoulder widths deep and 1 shoulder width wide. Shoulder width is used to be relative to the persons build instead of a hard number.

Is this still the case? Moo Duk Kwan used to use rather deep stances. As far as I know, all the Kwan HQs in Korea follow Kukkiwon syllabus and styling the same. Taekwondo is unified in Korea and no longer has Kwan-specific differences. Have you been to MDK HQ in Korea?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is this still the case? Moo Duk Kwan used to use rather deep stances. As far as I know, all the Kwan HQs in Korea follow Kukkiwon syllabus and styling the same. Taekwondo is unified in Korea and no longer has Kwan-specific differences. Have you been to MDK HQ in Korea?
I have, back in 1989 so it has been a while. There are still many schools, in the states at least that use a 'dual syllabus' I suppose. Many teach the Kukki/WT material for competition purposes but still use much of the older, traditional 'Kwan' teachings. This is what our schools do. For example, we teach Kicho, Pyong Ahn, Palgwe, and Taeguek and Yudanja poomsae. In regular classes when sparring we punch to the face. We have sparring only classes for those who wish to compete in WT rules sparring. One thing we have learned in this is that muscle memory is a very real thing and the people who are serious about training for the circuit have to completely stop punching to the face for a good while.

You can research and find that some if not all of the Kwan's are still active in Korea in an effort to maintain historical identity. There is no rub that I am aware of but there are people active in maintaining a legacy.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have, back in 1989 so it has been a while. There are still many schools, in the states at least that use a 'dual syllabus' I suppose. Many teach the Kukki/WT material for competition purposes but still use much of the older, traditional 'Kwan' teachings. This is what our schools do. For example, we teach Kicho, Pyong Ahn, Palgwe, and Taeguek and Yudanja poomsae. In regular classes when sparring we punch to the face. We have sparring only classes for those who wish to compete in WT rules sparring. One thing we have learned in this is that muscle memory is a very real thing and the people who are serious about training for the circuit have to completely stop punching to the face for a good while.

You can research and find that some if not all of the Kwan's are still active in Korea in an effort to maintain historical identity. There is no rub that I am aware of but there are people active in maintaining a legacy.

That's cool. I don't mind dojangs still doing things they way they always did them, keeping it the same as it was. There's something nice about that (even though I personally wouldn't do it). But when someone says "... Kwan TKD uses ..." and then doesn't describe Kukkiwon standard techniques, I wonder if my knowledge about the Kwans unifying technically is accurate.

I don't know anyone senior in MDK, so maybe in Korea they haven't followed KKW syllabus/techniques closely. Or maybe they have and the poster (you in this case) is referring to "their MDK dojang" rather than official MDK being that way.

Thanks for your clarification.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

P.S. I know this bit, I'm active in Changmookwan - I have current Dan rank with them, visit the president every time I go to Korea (about 6-7 times in the past 10 years) and often eat with him during the visit. I've met seniors in CDK and ODK too, but just never met anyone senior in MDK to know if they're following Kukkiwon technique standards now (although I believe they are).

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
P.S. I know this bit, I'm active in Changmookwan - I have current Dan rank with them, visit the president every time I go to Korea (about 6-7 times in the past 10 years) and often eat with him during the visit. I've met seniors in CDK and ODK too, but just never met anyone senior in MDK to know if they're following Kukkiwon technique standards now (although I believe they are).
That is awesome! Glad to hear you are that involved with the Kwan's. I would love to see something of a resurrection of the Kwan's to give KKW some competition! All in good taste though.
I suppose MDK has been largely been replaced by Soo Bahk Do by virtue of GM Hwang Kee.
The paranoia about copyright issues and such have certainly tainted the MDK image. Our schools are not so deeply invested in MDK to get involved in all of that, even though our GM Shin Seoung Eui has direct lineage to GM Kee. He is a very smart man and just steers clear of all of it.

Last edited: