Did Bruce get it right?

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm about as far from a Wing Chun expert as a body can get, but that actually looked like something I'd recognize as Wing Chun. Nice control.

Thanks. Yeah when applied correctly, it can work anywhere, and still be recognizable as Wing Tsun. It's all in how the practitioner trains. That's why I always advocate cross training with other arts.

Bino, I love that clip. It's a great example of the right way to train with people from other arts and learning from each other. Also, you looked good on the floor, at least from my Wing Tsun perspective!

BTW, I may be coming to Texas in July. PM me on how to contact you. Maybe we can get together to train, or at least for a beer. --Steve

Sure Geezer, looking forward to it! Beer & training, can't beat that...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are correct. Like "Harvard School of Law".

Yes. Remember, forward intent just means forward. Doesn't matter if you're standing up, on your back, or hanging upside down, the concept remains the same.

Did you tap out to knee on belly?

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The knee in the belly was just icing on the cake for the choke he had me in, but yeah lol. I was just completely out of gas at that point.
Kudos to you for rolling with BJJ guy and applying WT principles. I will point out that for most of that clip / interaction, you were in the guy's open guard and fighting off his grips. Its mostly a defensive position for him that there is some simultaneous potential for him to be launching attacks. Had you been on the defending end of a takedown or in very inferior positions like bottom side control or bottom of mount, do you train against that in terms of escape or gaining better position? That would be a realistic scenario, defending against an aggressive person who resorts to grappling to control you while attacking.

As for myself, I was taught some mount defense tactics in WT from a fairly high ranking visiting instructor but looking back on it.....even sport BJJ at a beginner level deals more realistically with that position than what I saw and learned in WT. I'm glad the interest and intent was there..... but I'm still skeptical of trying to add grappling into WC/WT and it not be a mess.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...As for myself, I was taught some mount defense tactics in WT from a fairly high ranking visiting instructor but looking back on it.....even sport BJJ at a beginner level deals more realistically with that position than what I saw and learned in WT. I'm glad the interest and intent was there..... but I'm still skeptical of trying to add grappling into WC/WT and it not be a mess.

I had the same feeling about the WT "anti-grappling" material I saw. However, necessity is the mother of invention, and the need to have effective ground-fighting skills has apparently let the EWTO branch of WT to upgrade by bringing in legit grapplers, such as Karen Garabedyan, rather than to continue reinventing the wheel themselves:

Grappling seminar with Master Karen Darabedyan | WingTsun-World - The Magazine of the EWTO

BTW, I may be attending a ground-fighting seminar in July in Austin at a Wing Chun school that comes from the WT lineage. I don't know what I'll see. Personally, if my arthritic, 63 year old joints would permit it, I'd probably rather just take up BJJ for grappling skills. :)

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
I had the same feeling about the WT "anti-grappling" material I saw. However, necessity is the mother of invention, and the need to have effective ground-fighting skills has apparently let the EWTO branch of WT to upgrade by bringing in legit grapplers, such as Karen Garabedyan, rather than to continue reinventing the wheel themselves:

Grappling seminar with Master Karen Darabedyan | WingTsun-World - The Magazine of the EWTO

BTW, I may be attending a ground-fighting seminar in July in Austin at a Wing Chun school that comes from the WT lineage. I don't know what I'll see. Personally, if my arthritic, 63 year old joints would permit it, I'd probably rather just take up BJJ for grappling skills. :)

Geezer, after a few beers, your joints will loosen up, trust me lol. I'll have some ready for you when you get to Texas.