Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Realistic Blade Training
By Mike Brewer - Thu, 02 Nov 2006 22:32:51 GMT
Originally Posted at: Deluxe Forums

====================

Hey All;
We have some of the world's best blade-art practitioners in the world on this site, and it's something I don't think we take appropriate advantage of. I hope to rememdy that, or at least start to, with this thread. For the sake of clarity, I would welcome and truly appreciate any and all input from our Sayoc people, Atienza kali people, and any other system out there with something to say about blade training. I do want to stipulate in advance, though, that anyone willing to share here should be thanked, not criticized, for their views. This should not be a political thread or a "my style is better than your style" thread. Just some genuine sharing for those who genuinely want to learn.

I propose that we treat this like an "what-if" exercise. Here's the scenario:

My main area of interest is in the realm of realistic blade work for self-protection. I've had limited exposure to all kinds of systems in my lifetime, and most of them had something great to offer. But I would like to condense a lot of material down to the few things that are truly required for self-protection using the blade.

To set the parameters for this research, I'll define what I mean by "realistic." This term applies only to those circumstances I am likely to encounter in my daily life. If other people would like to expand the definition, they may feel free. For me, however, it translates into dealing primarily with four major types of engagements:

Multiple Attackers
Armed Attackers (firearms as well as impact and edged weapons)
Ambushes or Sucker Attacks
Violent Crimes, like muggings or break-ins.

I'm not really concerned about how to win a one-on-one engagement with an unarmed guy if I have the knife, so I'd prefer not to spend too much time on it. I should also point out that I carry one of two (sometimes both) blades on me, along with a pistol most of the time. The folding knife I carry is pretty standard. I use it for utility purposes in my daily life and maintain a shaving edge on it. The fixed blade I most often carry is a SOG Daggert2. I attached pics rather than try to describe it. It is intended for defensive use, and is never used for utility cutting. It is therefore surgically sharp all the time. It will slash to good effect (I've done a test cut through three layers of jacket leather and 4" of meat, and penetration tests without even a whisper of resistance through the same) and is equally capable in thrusting. I mention these tools because they are what I carry, and they are the sort of thing I need to build my capabilities around. I have neither the money nor inclination to go out and buy a half a dozen knives, and I don't want to carry things I'm just going to throw away. In a nutshell, I am not opposed to using a different kind of knife, but I want to be able to use one, not many, to get the job done. And all things considered, I'd really rather put the gun to work if things get that desperate.

So with those things taken into consideration, and with the scenarios I am most concerned about, what advice would you have? Please treat this topic as though you are talking to someone with little or no training, and do not be worried about insulting my intelligence. Specifically, please detail the kinds of training, drills, etc. you might recommend to someone who is trying to accomplish the above and has only minimal experience.

Thanks for participating in this little exercise. I appreciate all of your input in advance.

Attached Images
bmp.gif
Daggert 2 and Sheath 2.bmp (900.1 KB)
bmp.gif
Daggert 2 without sheath 2.bmp (900.1 KB)

Read More...

------------------------------------
Defend.net Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions