DF: is $10,000 a month means your "mcdojo"?

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
is $10,000 a month means your "mcdojo"?
By thekuntawman - Thu, 31 Aug 2006 23:18:46 GMT
Originally Posted at: Deluxe Forums

====================

i saw a very interesting article in martial arts industry article, "10,000 buck a month means your a McDojo? my home boy says it does, i say it dont.

i dont think so. everyone has to learn business in order to survive. i think i was told by everyone in 1991, when i was planning to open my school, this wont work that wont work. thank GOD for competition karate. i been in business 14 years, and anybody who been to my school will tell you, i have my windows boarded up, i do not have childrens class (teen boys only), no visitors to the main class, no women. students gets bruises when they spar, they train very hard. my website is built by a 13 years old kid. this year i only have a two line ad in the yellow pages. and i am not rich, but i have a pretty good income.

you learn as you get older and make mistakes, and i can learn a lot from the ones we call "mcdojo". there is no reason a good teacher has to live like a poor man. i dont make 10,000 a month, but if i did, i believe i could do it doing the same things i do today. maybe my advertising gets smarter, or my tuition collection changes, or maybe changed a little bit in the classes. a sincere teacher can still make decent living and not sell out his art. but its hard learning it. you have to learn to talk to people, espcially when they look at your school is in the "hood", your students are "ghetto", it sometimes scares new people, or the equipment is old. you have to learn what to say when a guy wants to "thnk about it". dont just say, okay call me later, ask why? theres a lot of techniques a commercial school uses to bring students in the door and you could use it instead of water down the class.

i have seen some teachers make lots of money just by changing the sign on the building, or moving down the street. sometimes you could change your ad, and get lots of people. i always criticize the ones who sell a whole program on tape, that's fma mc dojo, you dont see to many guys with a school. i even saw arnis dancing! (hip hop), that's mc dojo!

but if some guy opens a school and he is teaching good art, and he has 100+ students doesnt make him a "ronald mcguro" :D

i dont have a point, i was just thinking about a conversation i had with a friend on the phone. i thought i could share it with you guys.

Read More...

------------------------------------
Defend.net Post Bot - FMA Feed

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
is $10,000 a month means your "mcdojo"?
By thekuntawman - Thu, 31 Aug 2006 23:18:46 GMT
Originally Posted at: Deluxe Forums

====================

i saw a very interesting article in martial arts industry article, "10,000 buck a month means your a McDojo? my home boy says it does, i say it dont.

(teen boys only), no visitors to the main class, no women.

Not counting the extremely poor grammar, lots of red flags pop up regarding this post. Something that really struck me was the above quote.

Why no visitors? How can someone know if they want to attend that school if they are not allowed to watch class? If they can't even watch a class, I would hope that they would at least get some free sessions. Otherwise, IMO, it wouldn't be very smart to blindly sign up for something.

And no women or teen girls? Why? That strikes me as very odd.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why no visitors? How can someone know if they want to attend that school if they are not allowed to watch class? If they can't even watch a class, I would hope that they would at least get some free sessions. Otherwise, IMO, it wouldn't be very smart to blindly sign up for something.

And no women or teen girls? Why? That strikes me as very odd.

Good questions....