DF: Boxing-Style Wing Chun.

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Boxing-Style Wing Chun.
By Grixti - Fri, 21 Mar 2008 14:05:34 GMT
Originally Posted at: Deluxe Forums

====================

Recently my thoughts have been centred on what Martial Art would be perfect for me to train and commit my life to. I am only 18 but feel that I have reached a state of mind that will enable me to commit to a style for a long time.

At the moment I am studying Wing Chun and have been doing so for around half a year. During my training I have also been doing a massive amount of research into other popular Martial Arts.

I know I have a very limited view on Wing Chun due to the short amount of time I have been practicing it, and there’s only so much you can learn about other arts by reading and watching them, but I have had an idea on what would make a very effective martial art or way of training, so read my thoughts and tell me what you think:

My Theory:
There are a lot of things about my Wing Chun training that I have found helpful and effective, both in theory and applicability in a real fight. My main problem with the art is that although the theory seems flawless it lacks in actually applying the moves with power and under pressure like in boxing styles.

The thing I like about Martial Arts is their complexity and the fact that it takes many years to know and master the moves. Wing Chun considers the entire body as a weapon and teaches a number of attacks that aren’t found in Boxing and Kickboxing styles. In Boxing it takes much less time to learn the moves but most of the work goes into increasing you speed and power (This may not be totally correct so correct me if I’m wrong). The main way we can divide Boxing from other Martial arts is the fact that Boxing styles are created for sports purposes whereas Martial arts have a lot of moves that would not be allowed inside a ring.

With this in mind, wouldn’t the perfect Martial Art and way of training be a complex and complete art practiced like boxing training? An art that covers the whole body as a weapon and addresses real life situations (like most Martial Arts). But then spends a lot of time actually practicing the moves with power and under pressure with a focus on conditioning.

An example of this idea could be doing some freestyle sparring-like techniques on someone holding pads like you see in Muay Thai. Attacking the one holding the pads with combinations from the style (say Wing Chun), for a certain amount of time with particular focus on speed, power and conditioning.

My overall point is that the more you actually apply a technique with power and under pressure, the more likely it will be effective in a real life street confrontation. This is where boxing styles excel. So if we could combine a complete Martial Art system with the same type of training in mind, wouldn’t this be a great way to train to become an effective fighter?

I have lots of views on this subject so pick apart my theory and let’s debate the idea!

Peace.

Read More...

------------------------------------
Defend.net Post Bot - CMA Feed