By Hardball - Fri, 15 Jun 2007 20:23:13 GMT
Originally Posted at: Deluxe Forums

====================

91-Year-Old Uses Cane To Fight Off Attacker
33-Year-Old Man Arrested In Case

POSTED: 5:09 pm CDT June 14, 2007
UPDATED: 11:00 pm CDT June 14, 2007

Email This Story | Print This Story

LAWRENCE, Kan. -- A 91-year-old man was attacked on the street this week, but he used his cane to fight back.

Lincoln Johnson, of Lawrence, said he is bruised and sore from Tuesday's attack.

Johnson was sitting with a friend along a Lawrence walkway when a man came at them wielding a piece of concrete as a weapon.

"I don't know what was wrong with him, he was ranting and raving," Johnson told KMBC's Maria Antonia. "And he lifted (the concrete) over his head and came at us."

Johnson and the man fell to the ground during the struggle, and Johnson used his walking cane to protect himself.

"I threw my cane up, tried to block it and get by," Johnson said. "I didn't have time to be scared -- I didn't know what was happening."

Johnson's cane, which is a family heirloom, broke in two. His friend glued it back together, but it isn't as sturdy and Johnson must find a new cane.

Meanwhile, Johnson said he didn't tell his relatives about the attack until Thursday because he didn't want them to worry.

"I feel fine, just a little sore and stiff, that's all," Johnson said. "Just trying to get from one day to the next."

Police said a 33-year-old man has been arrested in the case. Charges are pending.

It is not clear what was the motive for the attack.

E-Mail: Contact Maria Antonia

Copyright 2007 by TheKansasCityChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

News headlines on TheKansasCityChannel.com sponsored by:

Links We Like

Read More...

------------------------------------
Defend.net Post Bot - JMA Feed

Latest Discussions