‘Destroy the idols,’ Egyptian jihadist calls for removal of Sphinx, Pyramids

GrandmasterP

Green Belt
Reaction score
The Ahmadiyya Moslems in Srinagar are custodians of the tomb of Jesus, it was quite the pilgrimage destination before the troubles.
There's almost as many different flavours in Islam as there are amongst the Christian denominations.
Not all Moslems are terrorists it's just that, at present; most of the terrorists out to do 'us' down happen to be Moslems.
A while back it was the IRA and when this lot are done and dusted there's sure to be some other whackos a comin' down the pike.

Uncle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Any of it that actually understands their significance. I mean the Jews were forced to build the bloody pyramids using slave labour and THEY don't care that they exist.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Any of it that actually understands their significance.

And how many is that?

I don't want to see any of it destroyed but I see this a lot; we (American's) think that what we think is what the world thinks and that is not necessarily the case. And there are those that know the significance that may also think that it is none of their business since it is not their country

Uncle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The low level proletariat are always a larger populous than the educated in any country however if we allow them to run the world it would be world war III. The educateD folks in Egypt and the surrounding countries will have the same opinion.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any of it that actually understands their significance. I mean the Jews were forced to build the bloody pyramids using slave labour and THEY don't care that they exist.

Of course we care that they exist. They are a world heritage, it's part of the history of the world. What makes you think we wouldn't care?

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score

1) we do care they exist.

And 2) we did not build them. Hebrew slaves built the store cities of Pytom and Rameses.

Uncle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Of course we care that they exist. They are a world heritage, it's part of the history of the world. What makes you think we wouldn't care?
Let me rephrase the 'do not care.' I meant that even though the Jews were used as Egyptian slave labour (i know they likely didn't build the pyramids) they don't care if the Egyptian monuments stand. That's what you call level headed.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think a healthy dose of reading up on the actual history of the region rather than the 'Hollywood' version (and the biblical political bias version too) might be of advantage to all before positions get a little too entrenched (Yeah, archaeological/historical pun attack! :D).

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Let me rephrase the 'do not care.' I meant that even though the Jews were used as Egyptian slave labour (i know they likely didn't build the pyramids) they don't care if the Egyptian monuments stand. That's what you call level headed.

huh? what?

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score

????????

First, they're really is not such thing as "The Jews". We are a collection of individuals. And if asked, the majority would certainly care about the pyramids and the Sphinx. As a nation, Israel is accutely aware of the treasures of the past. Israel is one massive archeological dig.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why are you saying 'they don't care, when we are telling you 'WE' do?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its their country if they tear it down it sucks but who's going to stop them? You want to send the military Into Egypt to guard them by force? It would be a sad day it they were torn down but the only people that should have a say are the Egyptians. If the Queens decided to tear down Big Ben should the Chinese be allowed to tell them no and then ace troops around it to protect it?

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting point, Ballen. I would imagine that being designated a World Heritage Site probably gives such things as the Sphinx a certain legal status that allows for their protection? In the same fashion that buying a listed building here means that there are severe limits on what you can do to it even tho' it is your property.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting point, Ballen. I would imagine that being designated a World Heritage Site probably gives such things as the Sphinx a certain legal status that allows for their protection? In the same fashion that buying a listed building here means that there are severe limits on what you can do to it even tho' it is your property.

But I would think the only thing protecting the building is your own country agreeing to be a part of the world heritage site system. So if I bought a building and decided to destroy it in say London I would think the London authorities would stop me. But if the ones doing the destruction were the authorities who would stop them?
How would you stop them? If they are so extreme in there religious views they believe they need to tear down the pyramids some sanctions.by the world heritage foundation won't stop them. Then you need to weigh is cutting aid and hurting millions of people that had nothing to do with the decision worth keeping the pyramids up? Or how far do you go do you send in physical troops? You can in Egypt its not as powerful as say china but if china decided to tear down the great wall could we send in troops to stop them? I think not. I'm all for trying to talk them out of it but to say you can't do it it belongs to the world, not you, will only force the hand of the new leaders to prove they are strong.

Last edited:

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:nods: Sadly, I think that you put your finger right on it there.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would be sad if it happened because its on my bucket list to go see them.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
You really think the Egyptian government is going to tear down those pyramids? Tourism to those sites are a major source of income for the populace around them and the government. There are extremist who will propose stupid actions, but Egypt is not going to hurt themselves financially to that degree.

Latest Discussions