Desperately seeking supplements

OP
Flea

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for the comparisons. I wound up ordering this, and I think I made a good call. :cheers:

Besides, it's a known fact of the universe that chicks need chocolate.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the comparisons. I wound up ordering this, and I think I made a good call. :cheers:

Besides, it's a known fact of the universe that chicks need chocolate.

I think you made a good choice too. Amazing grass makes good products and has a reputation for being extremely discriminating with the quality of foods they use.

Chocolate (without the milk and sugar) is an extremely potent and healthy substance for the human body. And you have my permission to :whip: anyone who tries to eliminate it from your diet!

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm the same bloodtype, and I ate meat my entire life as well and was pushing two hundred pounds. I made a choice to become a vegetarian and I lost twenty pounds in my first two months. When I was finally introduced to the Bloodtype diet and the Genotype diet (the companion to the BT diet) I lost an additional fifteen pounds. In this period of time, the only thing I had change was my eating habits and food choices.

It's amazing how much change can come through a good diet.
I still wonder about it everyday when I wake up and look into the mirror. Should check out the genotype diet.

First things I've heard about it ever. :)
I already practice the tao of food, but those are actually more guidelines than a diet.

and choclate is one of the superfoods these days ;)

Last edited:
OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
The green drink mix finally came in the mail yesterday. I made myself a shake this morning with great anticipation. I used a scoop of the green drink, 2 scoops of protein powder, and soy milk. I love soy milk and I thought it would be a great base for it. I also tossed in a little flax oil.

:barf:!!! I've been queasy all day. The flavor was passable, but the texture was a nightmare. I'm not giving up on it, if only because the stuff is so expensive. This evening I brought home a bunch of bananas and a better brand of soy milk. Maybe I'll mix in some cinnamon this time too.

Too soon to say whether I'm getting any benefit from it, but "queasy all day" isn't a good sign.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The green drink is a alkalizing agent. If you mix it with other stuff, you may be giving the body too much to do (digesting food/drink) without enough of the tools (digestive acids) to work with.

Try mixing the green drink with water only and drink it on an empty stomach. Wait 30-60 minutes before eating, or drink it 2-3 hours after eating.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The green drink mix finally came in the mail yesterday. I made myself a shake this morning with great anticipation. I used a scoop of the green drink, 2 scoops of protein powder, and soy milk. I love soy milk and I thought it would be a great base for it. I also tossed in a little flax oil.

:barf:!!! I've been queasy all day. The flavor was passable, but the texture was a nightmare. I'm not giving up on it, if only because the stuff is so expensive. This evening I brought home a bunch of bananas and a better brand of soy milk. Maybe I'll mix in some cinnamon this time too.

Too soon to say whether I'm getting any benefit from it, but "queasy all day" isn't a good sign.

Keep trying different blends and mixes, something is bound to make it taste good and not make you queasy. Yogurt? Some nice berries?

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks you two.

I drank it first thing in the morning. I'd like to try again tomorrow but I'm not sure I'm ready yet - it was a solid gut punch.

I bought some bananas today. I also have some frozen strawberries. Next time I make it I'm definitely using less powder, and I may let it sit for quite a while to let the powder particles fully dissolve. Hopefully this will mitigate the chalky texture. We'll figure it out. ;-)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks you two.

I drank it first thing in the morning. I'd like to try again tomorrow but I'm not sure I'm ready yet - it was a solid gut punch.

I bought some bananas today. I also have some frozen strawberries. Next time I make it I'm definitely using less powder, and I may let it sit for quite a while to let the powder particles fully dissolve. Hopefully this will mitigate the chalky texture. We'll figure it out. ;-)

My apologies Flea :asian:

I made my recommendation before reading what you had posted about what was in the powder. I thought it was just greens, it's not. I suspect drinking it with plain water may be a bad idea. ;)

There is a lot of stuff in there. You may have hit on either an ingredient, or a combination, that doesn't suit your system well. For example, some folks get digestive issues when taking Eleuthero.

See how it goes. Hopefully you'll have better results later. :)

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
It worked out much better today. I used twice the soymilk and half the powder, and threw in a banana and some cinnamon. It's still a little pasty, but much more tolerable. The chocolate flavor is really overpowering, just the way I like it. :drinkbeer I had it for "lunch" today and drank it very slowly over an hour or so. It's sitting much better.

The strawberries are thawing in the fridge. I'm pleasantly surprised that I haven't felt the need to add any sweeteners to this, even with the compulsive sweet tooth that I am. It'll be interesting to see what this does for my focus and energy level.

What exactly is this stuff supposed to do anyway? LOL

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
What exactly is this stuff supposed to do anyway? LOL

It alkalizes you, which leads to overall better health (Here is some information on that). The reason it feels like a gut punch (and can lead to loose stool and increased BM) is from the magnesium (which greens are very high in), and the gas is from the probiotics (you're intestines are becoming healthier). All of this goes away in time. You should always start out with a small does and work your way up to the full dose. Right now your body ins't use to having such nutrient dense food and it is trying to adjust. Easing your way in just makes the body happy ;).

It may or may not increase your focus, but once you are at the full dose, you should notice better and longer lasting energy levels. It you want a tangible test - get some litmus paper and do a urine test now, and then do another one once you have been on the full does of the greens for a month. You should notice that your PH levels have greatly improved.

Now, lets talk about sugar and how regular consumption of moderate to large amounts can do to you:

•Sugar can suppress the immune system.
•Sugar can upset the body's mineral balance.
•Sugar can contribute to hyperactivity, anxiety, depression, concentration difficulties, and crankiness in children.
•Sugar can produce a significant rise in triglycerides.
•Sugar can cause drowsiness and decreased activity in children.
•Sugar can reduce helpful high density cholesterol (HDLs).
•Sugar can promote an elevation of harmful cholesterol (LDLs).
•Sugar can cause hypoglycemia.
•Sugar contributes to a weakened defense against bacterial infection.
•Sugar can cause kidney damage.
•Sugar can increase the risk of coronary heart disease.
•Sugar may lead to chromium deficiency.
•Sugar can cause copper deficiency.
•Sugar interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium.
•Sugar can increase fasting levels of blood glucose.
•Sugar can promote tooth decay.
•Sugar can produce an acidic stomach.
•Sugar can raise adrenaline levels in children.
•Sugar can lead to periodontal disease.
•Sugar can speed the aging process, causing wrinkles and grey hair.
•Sugar can increase total cholesterol.
•Sugar can contribute to weight gain and obesity.
•High intake of sugar increases the risk of Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis.
•Sugar can contribute to diabetes.
•Sugar can contribute to osteoporosis.
•Sugar can cause a decrease in insulin sensitivity.
•Sugar leads to decreased glucose tolerance.
•Sugar can cause cardiovascular disease.
•Sugar can increase systolic blood pressure.
•Sugar causes food allergies.
•Sugar can cause free radical formation in the bloodstream.
•Sugar can cause toxemia during pregnancy.
•Sugar can contribute to eczema in children.
•Sugar can overstress the pancreas, causing damage.
•Sugar can cause atherosclerosis.
•Sugar can compromise the lining of the capillaries.
•Sugar can cause liver cells to divide, increasing the size of the liver.
•Sugar can increase the amount of fat in the liver.
•Sugar can increase kidney size and produce pathological changes in the kidney.
•Sugar can cause depression.
•Sugar can increase the body's fluid retention.
•Sugar can cause hormonal imbalance.
•Sugar can cause hypertension.
•Sugar can cause headaches, including migraines.
•Sugar can cause an increase in delta, alpha and theta brain waves, which can alter the mind's ability to think clearly.
•Sugar can increase blood platelet adhesiveness which increases risk of blood clots and strokes.
•Sugar can increase insulin responses in those consuming high-sugar diets compared to low sugar diets.
•Sugar increases harmful bacterial fermentation in the colon.

Scary huh.

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
To say nothing of the environmental and human costs.

Yeah, I'm a junkie. I'll freely admit to having three brownies tonight for dessert along with a gooey cup of coffee. I'm on my second gooey cup right now. I've never been able to break that chain. To be fair, I also don't smoke, don't drink, work out 3-4 times a week, and take vitamins. In the grand scheme it's a pretty good vice to have, and I've made peace with that.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To say nothing of the environmental and human costs.

Yeah, I'm a junkie. I'll freely admit to having three brownies tonight for dessert along with a gooey cup of coffee. I'm on my second gooey cup right now. I've never been able to break that chain. To be fair, I also don't smoke, don't drink, work out 3-4 times a week, and take vitamins. In the grand scheme it's a pretty good vice to have, and I've made peace with that.

Brownies for dessert?? Heathen!!

Brownies happen to be the best breakfast food going!:)

KirkhamsEbooks.com

White Belt
Reaction score
I interviewed the creator of a martial arts supplement. Here's the interview

Interview with Sensei Ron Quaranta, Creator of Budo Nutrition for Martial Artists and MMA Fighters

-------------------------------------------

What we did specifically was to research the vitamins and nutrients needed to meet the physical and mental requirements for martial artists and MMA enthusiasts. Working in conjunction with a scientific development team, a select group of these vitamins and nutrients were chosen that represent the best combination for muscle recovery, flexibility, joint health and mental focus....

http://martialarts808.com/index.php?topic=152.msg191#msg191

Latest Discussions