Describe your style

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some time ago I made a "smart people question" and this past week I've been making notes asking questions on this Site and adding them to the notes Page (mostly random stuff so far but getting there)

But in this post i had two questions and I'm sure everyone here might have a different answer but the 2 questions are
- What Is the style you practice

- what are some descriptive words of your style
(example : some styles use low stances, some use mainly kicks, some use a variety of flips and throws, some use weapons like bo staff, tonfa, or dao, etc...)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Pekiti-tirsia Kali

Weapons based, aggressive, functional, fun, challenging.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
- What Is the style you practice

- what are some descriptive words of your style
(example : some styles use low stances, some use mainly kicks, some use a variety of flips and throws, some use weapons like bo staff, tonfa, or dao, etc...)

Style?
In Self Defense, In sport competition, Stand up only, against a single opponent, against multiple opponents, am I by myself or do I have partners, am I defending my self only or other family members? Style is the manner in which one does something. My modus operandi will be based upon the situation. And yes I do train for these many different situations. I train and practice several different martial art systems; Wing Chun, Muay Thai, CSW, Pekiti-Tirsia Kali, Silat, Tai Chi. There are numerous styles withing these systems. I also train and practice firearms, defensive driving and personal protection. Numerous different styles here also. I no long compete in competitions so I no long prepare for ring sports but I to coach several fighters. What we do for sport competition vs personal protection is a completely different mindset and skill sets styles are different. So what situation are we discussing for style?

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Style?
In Self Defense, In sport competition, Stand up only, against a single opponent, against multiple opponents, am I by myself or do I have partners, am I defending my self only or other family members? Style is the manner in which one does something. My modus operandi will be based upon the situation. And yes I will train for these many different situations. I train and practice several different martial art systems; Wing Chun, Muay Thai, CSW, Pekiti-Tirsia Kali, Silat, Tai Chi. There are numerous styles withing these systems. I also train and practice firearms, defensive driving and personal protection. Numerous different styles here also. I no long compete in competitions so I no long prepare for ring sports but I to coach several fighters. What we do for sport competition vs personal protection is a completely different mindset and skill sets styles are different. So what situation are we discussing for style?

Maybe I phrased it wrong by style I meant what is your art called example mine is goju ryu karate

qianfeng

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well my style is Ba Ji Quan and Pi Gua Zhang

Baji: low kicks mostly, short ranged, very power

Pi Gua: Long Ranged, uses long whipping arms

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
muay thai :)

has the lot - low/mid/high kicks, straight elbows, uppercut elbows, "knife" type elbows, reverse elbows, straight knees, roundhouse knees, punches to every part of the body :)

it's a total and complete workout if it's practised with pace and precision - it's fast, furious and very much fun :)

fighting tends to be a bit on the brutal side so you gotta learn how to let the red mist descend :)

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For me ...

Okinawan Goju Ryu Karate.
Reality based, not sport, no holds barred self defence.

Progressive Krav Maga.
Reality based, not sport, no holds barred self defence.
:asian:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boxing and Kickboxing. A smattering of other useful techniques with what I have tried over the years. Mainly locks and holds if that is the correct way to put it, for when I worked the doors.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i've cross trained boxing and muay thai for a while not tried the locks and holds though --- do you find that the locks and holds are easier to perform when you need to get the message across to someone ?????

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've cross trained boxing and muay thai for a while not tried the locks and holds though --- do you find that the locks and holds are easier to perform when you need to get the message across to someone ?????

In general yeah. You can add the minimum of pressure but still get the desired result. Basically why a lot of it was lost, joint pressure and broken limbs if done incorrectly or carelessly. Now a door super only has a very basic repertoire to use.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpo: It is just a way of thinking, man; aggressive; laid back; intense; subtle; direct; safe; dangerous; underhanded, ethical... shall I go on? :)

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lama Pai

Description --> Honey Badger should've cared & maybe he wouldn't have been rolled over

Choy Lay Fut

Description --> Human juicer

:lool:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmm… there's a range of arts that I train, practice, study, teach etc… let's see how this goes...

Gyokko Ryu - The art of changing direction.

Koto Ryu - Just hit 'em!

Togakure Ryu - The art of running away…

Shinden Fudo Ryu Dakentaijutsu - The art of nature.

Shinden Fudo Ryu Jutaijutsu - The art of the set-up.

Takagi Yoshin Ryu - The art of no hesitation.

Kukishinden Ryu - The art of the battlefield.

Kenjutsu (Koryu system…) - Just kill 'em!

Muso Shinden Ryu Iai - Don't you run away from me!

Another Koryu Kenjutsu system - Every possibility is covered...

Kyudo - Perfection… or as close as you can get…

Goshinjutsu (Modern Self Defence) - Get home safe.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmm… there's a range of arts that I train, practice, study, teach etc… let's see how this goes...

Gyokko Ryu - The art of changing direction.

Koto Ryu - Just hit 'em!

Togakure Ryu - The art of running away…

Shinden Fudo Ryu Dakentaijutsu - The art of nature.

Shinden Fudo Ryu Jutaijutsu - The art of the set-up.

Takagi Yoshin Ryu - The art of no hesitation.

Kukishinden Ryu - The art of the battlefield.

Kenjutsu (Koryu system…) - Just kill 'em!

Muso Shinden Ryu Iai - Don't you run away from me!

Another Koryu Kenjutsu system - Every possibility is covered...

Kyudo - Perfection… or as close as you can get…

Goshinjutsu (Modern Self Defence) - Get home safe.

That's it? I think you got time for a few more lol

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I forgot the description part. Please pardon the double post.

American Karate - A still evolving art. Advanced punching, kicking and blocking - but moving away from advanced kicking to a more basic kicking. Basic grappling culled from Brazilian Ju-jitsu (since 92) self defense stemming from LE Defensive Tactics, physical fitness (high level for high ranks) and the development of character through Martial ethics.

My biggest worry is the pussification of our country, and how some of our younger Instructors seem to be less intense in their rules and attitudes - which is contrary to how they were brought up in the Arts. I suppose it's for business reasons. Or maybe I'm just too old to understand. Bah.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's it? I think you got time for a few more lol

Well… I didn't include my background in karate (Tani-ha Shito Ryu Shukokai), TKD (Rhee), my time in BJJ (Gracie), RBSD seminars (which are a big influence on the modern work I currently do… to the point that I'd describe it as RBSD itself), my experience with boxing, Aikido, Wing Chun, or Hontai Yoshin Ryu… or any of another dozen or so things I've done… but, to be honest, there's a couple of things that I'd like to add to my schedule… just need my life to settle a bit presently…

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's a impressive list, That's a lot of styles... Out of curiosity which one do you know the best