Deleted techniques

Kenpoist

Green Belt
Reaction score
melj7077 said:
I remember Mr. Planas telling us that the Intellectual Departure technique was needed to complete the categories of blocks at yellow belt. It is in conjunction with Delayed sword (Inward), Sword of Destruction (Outward), Deflecting Hammer (Downward), and Intellectual Departure (Reverse of the Downward block). This creates a square through the blocks hitting the four corners. I think Hammer & Sword replaced Intellectual Departure which removes the fourth corner.

Intellectual Departure is the root of the techniques of Circle of Doom and Rotating Destruction. Each is a progression from the last.

We keep Intellectual Departure in our yellow belt cirricullum for exactly this reason. It gives you another angle with which to complete a downward block (category completion) and it is the basis/foundation to the aforementioned techniques. I alway's liked this technique as a yellow belt. I hadn't heard that school's were no longer teaching this technique. I would be curious to see what other key techniques are not being taught that form the basis for the system (Agressive Twins? Spreading Branch? etc..).

OP
M

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Both AT and SB were deleted along with ID in the conversion to 24 techs per belt - at least at my former AKK school. Can't remember if there were any others.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
circle of doom?broken twigs?........Kenpo has some interesting names for moves.lol

No disrespect intended.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Odin said:
circle of doom?broken twigs?........Kenpo has some interesting names for moves.lol

No disrespect intended.

yeah it does, "Squeezing the Peach" always gets a few chuckles from the non-kenpoists.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpojujitsu3 said:
yeah it does, "Squeezing the Peach" always gets a few chuckles from the non-kenpoists.

lol!squeezing the peach!lol!!!!

we have one in muay thai that translates into ''king ramma slaps the monkey'' or something like that lol

THUNDERING MANTIS

White Belt
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread, some here feel the I.D. technique was moved to keep with a better progression for students at the beginnner stage, others are of the opinion that the I.D. was always kept in mind as a progression- until a point where i t works. (which is mostly idealistic for everyone who has respect for the system) Some feel the technique is not practical ie a 'sparring' tool? (this response is the most confused of them all perhaps)

32 to 24 techniques? big deal- if you learn the 24 well, each one perfectly (which means your base stances-movements and overall coordination) the best you can come up with after say 10 yrs. is a knowledgable proficiency of how they should work- but you will only be good at your favorites. (everyone has their specialty(ies)) and if one is lucky they can learn the most effectice couter-extensions to follow-up their techniques if failed.

Back-ups is how I saw kenpo always- and the freestyle component does kindof come into play here. But no technique was ever deleted, just tucked inside the others is all.

I specialize in a mantis style where I had to become proficient at what many say 18 or (less or more) techniques. That is left and right handed (actually I do not know the number of techniques- i just do, some I don't know the names for). Regardless, that is my specialty -mantis- and I'm best at maybe 3 or so of those to a degree that would take the same degree of skill from any kenpo expert 20 or more yrs to attain. So, where does this lead?

Techniques from basics- turn into extentions (add-ons), and do you know what my peers say if they see old kenpo from a video i show them? "Wow"/"Awesome" -that -is the true 'whirling palm style' -or something to that regard.

The parts make the machine, the whirling power of dynamic kempo. Mr. Parker taught an awesome art, I don't believe that anything was deleted more so that techniques were 'added' to fluff things up from the path to the final result from a begginner.

sad part is I do not see this kenpo anymore.

best regards,

THUNDERING MANTIS

White Belt
Reaction score
here's a list of 'purple blt manual' of the late 60's (68-69?)...

how many of these are deleted/renamed or moved?
  1. eagle pin
  2. striking fang
  3. crane leap
  4. shackle break
  5. drawbridge
  6. kung fu cross
  7. divided swords
  8. gift
  9. opening cowl
  10. slicing dragon
  11. raising the sword
  12. crossing guard
  13. arm hook
  14. crossing the sun
  15. ascending to heaven
  16. attack from the temple
  17. crouching falcon
  18. dart
  19. opening the fan
  20. wing break
  21. bowing to buddha
  22. darkness
  23. sweeping arm hook
  24. spinning from the sun
  25. flashing wings
  26. snapping twig
  27. prayer of death
  28. striking serpent
  29. arcing blades
  30. attacking the wall
  31. circle of china
  32. blocking the sun
  33. dance of death
  34. returning viper
  35. returning thunder
  36. the serpent
  37. broken staff
  38. circling serpent
  39. chinese "L" choke
  40. sticks of satin

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
THUNDERING MANTIS said:
here's a list of 'purple blt manual' of the late 60's (68-69?)...

how many of these are deleted/renamed or moved?
  1. eagle pin
  2. striking fang
  3. crane leap
  4. shackle break
  5. drawbridge
  6. kung fu cross
  7. divided swords
  8. gift
  9. opening cowl
  10. slicing dragon
  11. raising the sword
  12. crossing guard
  13. arm hook
  14. crossing the sun
  15. ascending to heaven
  16. attack from the temple
  17. crouching falcon
  18. dart
  19. opening the fan
  20. wing break
  21. bowing to buddha
  22. darkness
  23. sweeping arm hook
  24. spinning from the sun
  25. flashing wings
  26. snapping twig
  27. prayer of death
  28. striking serpent
  29. arcing blades
  30. attacking the wall
  31. circle of china
  32. blocking the sun
  33. dance of death
  34. returning viper
  35. returning thunder
  36. the serpent
  37. broken staff
  38. circling serpent
  39. chinese "L" choke
  40. sticks of satin

Every one of these is still contained in Tracys, altho the order and belt assignments are different.

Kenpoist

Green Belt
Reaction score
JamesB said:
Hi,
yes, I did not mean to say intellectual-departure had been removed completely (we do it in our school for example) - rather I was referring to the original post and suggesting why it may have been removed from the curriculum in that instance.

You are right also, kenpo is a very general term and means different things to different people and I didn't phrase my post very well. I've not heard that I.D was removed because it was too 'sophisticated'....rather, I view it as a rather simple technique compared to others such as Delayed Sword, Attacking Mace etc. I was under the impression that one of the reasons I.D. was removed because of the way one's back is turned on your 'opponent' - fine for sparring maybe, but not a great idea if someone is intent on attacking you??

James,
In ID, you are not turning your back (blindly) to the attacker. The technique teachs you to transisiton into a reverse cat stance to set up the back thrust kick while keeping your eye's focused on the threat. We don't turn our back to the attacker in kenpo - until we have softened him up (ex. flashing mace - brief spin to set up the flashing mace portion of the technque).

Latest Discussions