Defensive Tactics...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The State Director of the of the IPDTI who is also a copper suggested we attempt a once a month get together....I wanted to send you a PM but ya gotta make room in your mail box...

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
he didn't get the best LIAR TO SPIN THINGS in his favor!
The lawyers can "bend the law in their bear hands". And who, disguised as an officer of the court, fights for half truths, re-directs and injustice for all law biding society, I bring you "Super Attorney".
:BSmeter:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've been trained in it by our department in addition to our regular DT's.It's pretty decent.Another tool in the tool box.

Not real crazy about Blauers System but am REAL IMPRESSED by the training suit he developed...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We tried again to offer an introduction/refresher DT course geared toward female LEO's as I have heard numerous complaints from a few that they don't get enough real training..One instructor cautioned his class to " take it easy" on the ladies..A hell of a think to say to someone who has the same change of getting into an altercation as their male counterparts...No one showed...

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where we run into issues with DT training is in "how do you "mandate" it"? We are a union shop and some issues arise with the questions of:

1. Can we "force" officers to "roll" (spar, active-resister training)?

2. What are the comp/legal/union issues that will arise if someone is "mandated" to train and they get injured?

3. Other area depts that do the Blauer stuff have reported some high levels of training related injuries, will the leadership approve such training?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where we run into issues with DT training is in "how do you "mandate" it"? We are a union shop and some issues arise with the questions of:

1. Can we "force" officers to "roll" (spar, active-resister training)?

2. What are the comp/legal/union issues that will arise if someone is "mandated" to train and they get injured?

3. Other area depts that do the Blauer stuff have reported some high levels of training related injuries, will the leadership approve such training?

1. No one can be forced to train..I had been attempting to get my department to arrange a class for those that WANT training..It doesnt help when certain Supervisors have the I carry a gun and a taser so I don't need any of that stuff or The skill I learned in the academy ( 10-18 years ago) will serve me attitude..I recently gave up...

2. There is NO STATE mandate for defensive tactics training..It is just states updated skills...So they sit us in a class room and bring in some teacher to bore us for 8 hrs..

3. The Instructor has to keep a watchfull eyes on his students and seperate those getting carried away..

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thats where we have landed too. Then the question arose...if we run a class for "those who want it", and its department sponsored, department administered and ran by dept personnel, and a student gets injured..is it "on the job" in terms of comp and liability?

So we get the same "classroom approach" and if you want additional training you have to go to the civilian side to get it.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thats where we have landed too. Then the question arose...if we run a class for "those who want it", and its department sponsored, department administered and ran by dept personnel, and a student gets injured..is it "on the job" in terms of comp and liability?

One time they brought in a great instructor to give the department an update class..I believe there were 10 OJI's (On the job injury) claims that came out of that class...

So we get the same "classroom approach" and if you want additional training you have to go to the civilian side to get it.

Sucks don't it...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is too bad. Recently I had Grand Tuhon Tortal up here in Michigan teaching bladed weaponry and defense against the blade. I tried to involve the local police department's in a periphery manner and made training accessible to them and yes no one showed. Here was a chance to work out with someone who regularly teaches the Filipino Military and Filipino National Police Force. :idunno:

On the up side one of the current chief of police is interested in doing some training. We shall see what becomes of it.
icon6.gif

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is too bad. Recently I had Grand Tuhon Tortal up here in Michigan teaching bladed weaponry and defense against the blade. I tried to involve the local police department's in a periphery manner and made training accessible to them and yes no one showed. Here was a chance to work out with someone who regularly teaches the Filipino Military and Filipino National Police Force. :idunno:

On the up side one of the current chief of police is interested in doing some training. We shall see what becomes of it.
icon6.gif
It may not be anything deliberate or general lack of interest -- but specific lack of interest because Grand Tujon Gage is not a well known or certified instructor here. Tony Blauer's instructors have his name standing behind them, and the training has been approved by several states (as far as I know) for in-service/official training credit. Often, without that sort of endorsements, bringing even the best training in becomes a non-starter for the brass...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh no doubt you are right on there jsk9199. However, I bet if I went to most of the police departments around here they would have no idea who Tony Blauer is. I am sure that is a bet I would win by quite a bit. Still I imagine we will be doing some local work for the PD's as soon as the election cycle is over. They do have some interest and I know most of the people in charge personally. Still there are hurdles to jump through MELOTC, etc. to make it all work. So only time will tell.
icon6.gif

Traditionalist

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The idea of a separate, police/LE program (not a black belt track program) has been advanced within our association. It's creeping along...

I think it's something that a lot of agencies should improve. There's nothing (but organizational willpower) preventing an agency from implementing some sort of regular DT refresher; I know of a few that have. But I suspect it won't be done until there's a lawsuit where the lack of training figures into it.

Look at Japan they did it. Their police are required to go to martial art training. If you want to be an law enforcement person then you will find the time. just like you find time to go to shooting range.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Look at Japan they did it. Their police are required to go to martial art training. If you want to be an law enforcement person then you will find the time. just like you find time to go to shooting range.

If they did that here better than 1/2 the officers I am forced to work with would not cops...The F.O.P rep would spend his time handling the numerous greivences that come across his desk, a herculean task to be sure..

VegasM4

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I know alot of department's lack in training,mine does not.Our Academy is 24 weeks long followed by 19 weeks of field training.Defensive Tactics is extensive in the academy.We get training in boxing,kickboxing,control holds,handgun retention,ground defense,Taser,Baton,pepper spray,weapons defense,LVNR,and more.Recruits are required to pass DT tests prior to graduating the academy.Once on the street we get 2 hrs of DT training every quarter (3 months).Firearms qual is also every 3 months with duty weapon,shotgun and patrol rifle (if certified).Twice a year quals for off duty/backup handguns.Taser training and low lethal (beanbag) shotgun is once a year.We also get AOST (Advanced Officers Skills Training) once a year which includes training in ground defense,building searches,simunitions training,the SPEAR system,etc.

kyosa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It seems NO ONE want to do any DT training..Father Greek and I holding a FREE seminar for LEO's on a Sunday, we will even issue a certificate of attendance so you can have it put in your personal file if your department is big on that kind of stuff..Despite numerous snail mails and e mails we still only got a few..Very sad..

One of the problems with DT training with instructors who arent LEO's is weapons retention. I have seen DT courses taught where over and over again they don't address this in what they are teaching. That doesnt mean that what they are teaching can't be applied (maybe with a few modifications) but sometimes what they teach can be dangerous.

kyosa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
By state statute or by department ordinance.....if it's a state statute i'd be very interested in seeing how the legislature wrote that law......if it exists it's an asinine law.

I have never heard of a state statute making LVNR, rear naked choke or any other form of neck restraint lethal force. Our dept. considers these types of force to be lethal force (been arguing about this for years with no success).