Defense Against The Full Nelson

Ross

Orange Belt
Reaction score
HKphooey said:
Ross, good point.

In the instance which I am forced forward, I would step one foot forward to stop the momentum and then deliver a low back kick to the knee. The forward movement (and step) actually sets me up for a stronger stance to deliver that kick.

I would recommend that you take several steps forward first, settle your stance and then kick. Otherwise you are still reacting to their forward momuntum and it is a case of size and strength over technique.

The best person to speak to about this is Doc, the way that he teaches Repeated Devestation with regard to surviving the initial assult is THE most effective that I have experienced.

Ross

Orange Belt
Reaction score
HKphooey said:
Luckily I am 6'7", so unless I am at a basketball game, I should be safe. :)

:) Lucky chap then!

You'd probably need a scaffolding to get you in a full nelson then. lol

ninhito

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My defense is really a moment of slowing down the action, if the guy is about to hoist me into the air I jump with him, knocking him off balance, if he puts it on me on the ground I do a shoulder role towards the attacker's head kicking at the climiax, it shakes the person off or he ends up with a messed up head...don't know if it works all the time, but it has up til' now...

Ross

Orange Belt
Reaction score
ninhito said:
My defense is really a moment of slowing down the action, if the guy is about to hoist me into the air I jump with him, knocking him off balance, if he puts it on me on the ground I do a shoulder role towards the attacker's head kicking at the climiax, it shakes the person off or he ends up with a messed up head...don't know if it works all the time, but it has up til' now...

I maybe confused but when you say you "jump with him, knocking him off balance". I think that you are thinking of this attack as a vertical lift straight up and straight down. Why would someone attack you with this. I propose that the strike is most likely to be trying to lift you off at an angle (however slight) to up end you and drive you into the ground. If you jump with him you will just be making his job a lot more easier as you will be landing a lot harder due to the height without your hands to help cushion the blow.

Also, as previously stated, I would suggest that you try your technique agianst an attack with forward momentum driving you forward, you would have no base to "jump" from.

It is worth remembering that a full nelson is a controlling lock and not designed to throw you anywhere. - maybe worth seeing my note about Bear hugs on a different thread.

Then I may be wrong - be realistic and try it and see.

LostSynn

White Belt
Reaction score
A couple of years back i had an incident with some friends. Friends A, B and me were conversing. A and B both wanted to tell me their sides of the same story. A was a little intoxicated and way too much coffee with suger for his own good. (A is also only about 5 foot 6) A got angry at B (who stands at about 6 foot 1) A jumps up to try to punch B in the face, B slips the punch and trys to run away. A runs after him swinging, yes swinging while he runs, i think the correct term would be "windmilling". So at this point i decide i have to get involved. So now i'm chasing after A who is trying to hit B who is running between cars in a parking lot at a movie theater that we happen to be at. I catch up to A and i slip him into a full nelson. I don't know why a full nelson, i'm just happy i've got him, and he's not trying to hurt anyone anymore. Now i'm not sure what to do, i don't want to hurt A he's my friend albeit a stupid drunk one. But i can't let him go to hurt me or B. So i crank the full nelson and i whisper in his ear "If you relax i'll let you go" not the best thing but i was trying. By this time the rest of our friends have caught up to us and they began to yell. Including my girlfriend at the time, who was screaming "Hey A, you better give up or my boyfriend is going to kick your ***" I'm not kidding she actually said this. (Also if your wondering about our ages I was 28, she was 20, A was 22 and B was 19) So the whole time i'm sitting there telling him to relax, the crowd was yelling and i'm thinking "i know five ways right now to get out of a full nelson". Praying that he didn't know just one way to get out. No pressure at all no pressure. After what seems like a decade A decides to go limp. So i tell him i will let him go in 3 .... 2.....1.... and i pushed him away.

Damn i never felt so lucky in my life. He walked away, blew off some steam, and no one got hurt. In the mean while we attracked some of the local teens that were on their way to "help" make sure no one got hurt.

A million things kept going in my head but the most important was "i don't want to have to hurt him" Also i don't talk to A anymore. I don't like people that solve their problems with their fists especially his own friends.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I almost forgot about this thread. Looks like there are some very good replies!!:ultracool Of course, like any grab of this type, not letting is get applied fully is the goal. Pinning the arms prior to them getting behind your head, using your hands on your forehead to relieve some pressure, going for the fingers, knees, shins, etc. are all possibilities.

Of course, working this from a non-static position will help make that training a bit more alive.:)

Mike

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, My son mention that "Full Nelson" is not allow in High School Wrestling and Judo. For the protection of the kids, I am guessing the "Full Nelson is a very dangerous move?

The ideas of breaking the fingers...sounds like a good idea! and attacking the leg areas too, as mention above posts...Aloha

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Going for the fingers first is tough. Your arms are at angles that don't give you good leverage to pry the fingers. We were taught that early on, very hard to pull of for real. I'd recommend doing the other stuff first.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
In my style we were taught this method where you drop your shoulders down and keep your arms straight so they can't put it on and it seems to really work but you have to know when its coming.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ross said:
It is worth remembering that a full nelson is a controlling lock and not designed to throw you anywhere. - maybe worth seeing my note about Bear hugs on a different thread.

Actually, applied properly, not the fingers laced version, the full nelson is just a fast road to breaking someone's neck..

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
Actually, applied properly, not the fingers laced version, the full nelson is just a fast road to breaking someone's neck..
-A break would be unlikely. Slipped disk maybe.

Latest Discussions