Defense against the Ezekiel Choke

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice defense but bringing the arm through is not needed and actually places you in a vulnerable position for a bent arm lock. I actually use this as a set up for the bent arm lock or an armbar. Rarely do I rely on the Ezekial Choke as a finishing move. This defense will work but it would be easier to just bump and roll and then work from their guard. Particularly in the bump and roll if just after the roll as you are setting up your base if you pull your head and chin back you may find it very easy to get out by then using slight pressure from your arms.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nice defense but bringing the arm through is not needed and actually places you in a vulnerable position for a bent arm lock. I actually use this as a set up for the bent arm lock or an armbar. Rarely do I rely on the Ezekial Choke as a finishing move. This defense will work but it would be easier to just bump and roll and then work from their guard. Particularly in the bump and roll if just after the roll as you are setting up your base if you pull your head and chin back you may find it very easy to get out by then using slight pressure from your arms.

I think it would depend on how much the Ezekiel has been set in, wouldn't it? I think the point of trying to get that arm in there is to alleviate an already set in Ezekiel. If they're going for it, but still fishing for your neck (i.e. Grinding on your jaw), then yeah, there's no point in giving them your arm. If you're trying to bump and roll during a set in Ezekiel you're going to find yourself coughing or woozy half way through. I'll admit I hate this choke. I've been caught by it a handful of times but whenever I try to use it I just get swept... I.e. Bumped and rolled but that's with me trying to apply it.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree kuniggety in that if it is set in deep and the choke is already on then your in trouble but I don't know if the defense in the video is still ideal at that point! You really should bump and roll as soon as an arm is under your head and the opponent is in the mount then it shouldn't get set in very deep. Bump and roll, pull your head and chin back while you are doing it and set your base. This is easy, simple technique with no arm exposure to a bent arm lock!

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
FYI: The escape is based on the choke already being set in. Additionally, bumping someone off of you with the level of head control that the Ezekiel provides is no easy task.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Come on Hanzou it is really not that hard but of course that would all depend on who is applying the Ezekiel choke and how good their ground game is! :) Still, sticking your arm through and extending it as shown is scary. Definitely not my first choice!

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Come on Hanzou it is really not that hard but of course that would all depend on who is applying the Ezekiel choke and how good their ground game is! :) Still, sticking your arm through and extending it as shown is scary. Definitely not my first choice!

Well your options are getting choked out for sure or attempting an escape where they may, or may not catch your arm.

That particular choke is my go-to choke when I'm on top. Once its sunken in it is extremely hard to bump someone off of you. Giesler's suggestion of threading your arm through and locking down the elbow in order to disable the choke seems a bit more reasonable.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is the difference in personality as I would never use this as a go to move as I have found it very easy to counter. Then again I have not let someone get it set in too deep to counter. As soon as you feel the arm under your head you should bump and roll. ;)

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is the difference in personality as I would never use this as a go to move as I have found it very easy to counter. Then again I have not let someone get it set in too deep to counter. As soon as you feel the arm under your head you should bump and roll. ;)

That's interesting. Well if you've never had anyone get an ezekiel choke on you, you wouldn't have to worry about escaping it. ;)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some thoughts ...

• I'll have to try the counter before I judge it one way or another. I do see some details that should keep the arm from being too vulnerable to an arm-lock if they're done correctly, but I want to experiment before saying for sure.
  • Bumping and rolling when the opponent originally wraps your head isn't a bad idea, but it's far from guaranteed success against someone with a good mount game. I can hold most people down a long time from mount while holding their head and I don't get rolled too often.
  • If someone has the Ezekial choke really set, they have a decent chance of finishing it from guard even if you manage to roll them.
  • The Ezekial choke is one of my higher-percentage submissions from top of mount with the gi.
  • I rarely get caught with the Ezekial, but that's generally because I work early counters to keep my sparring partner from getting it set up. This is a late counter which looks worth exploring.
  • Late counters to submissions (like this one) always involve some risk. That's why we use them only after everything else fails.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Tony,

No guarantee in anything. I imagine with your length and experience in the mount that it would be unpleasant to be underneath you while you are in the mount. I rarely have anyone mounted on me for any length of time due to doing the little things to keep them from maintaining that position.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One advantage of trying the bridge escape early is that even if you don't succeed your opponent may release the Ezekiel attempt in order to spread their hands out for base.

The converse of this is that if you are on top and want to finish with the Ezekiel you need to anticipate that your opponent will try the bridge escape while your hands are occupied and therefore you need to work to shut down that bridge and/or be sneaky about the Ezekiel so they don't see it coming.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
When used as a defense against the ezekiel being applied by someone in the guard or half guard I can see it.
Have used this as a set up for an armbar from the mount.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, I ran through the counter with another black belt tonight. Seems reasonably solid. I asked my partner to see if he could find an easy way to attack the arm and he couldn't.

The important thing to remember is that it's not just about sticking your arm through. The body movement is essential.

Of course, late counters like this are always going to be tricky and require precise timing. Early counters are always preferable.