Defense Against Bombings

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
There has just been another bombing as I saw on the news in London in the subway somebody set off a bucket bomb and there were multiple injuries but fortunately nobody was killed. Bombers can be hard to detect as they will hide the bomb in a bag or under their clothes. The best thing I can think of to do is to be alert, especially in areas where there's lots of people. I was in Manhattan last month and I applied that same principle.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There has just been another bombing as I saw on the news in London in the subway somebody set off a bucket bomb and there were multiple injuries but fortunately nobody was killed. Bombers can be hard to detect as they will hide the bomb in a bag or under their clothes. The best thing I can think of to do is to be alert, especially in areas where there's lots of people. I was in Manhattan last month and I applied that same principle.
alert doesn't help when your on a,crowded subway train and someone,sets a bomb off

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the best thing you can learn is not to get caught in the crush of people running away, and that a lot easier said than done

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Martial arts may help being more relaxed in a dangerous, risky, or chaotic scenario. I don't think we can do much more. The safety 'rules' (distance to unknown people, bla bla...) are useless in the tube. And not many suitable alternatives to tube/metro in big cities. One does the little possible and that's all.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

In fact that is about the best defense. Look for bags that seem out of place in any way. See if clothing is too large for the rest of the body, or inappropriate for the time of year. See if any wires are showing. See if the person appears to be clasping anything in a pocket or under a fold in clothing. See if a bag or container seems out of place, such as a cleaning bucket without a person, or anything that appears to have been left behind/abandoned. Does a person who appears to be associated with a suspicious object appear nervous or fearful? Does a person seem to be associated with a possible dangerous object, and does the person appear Arabic? I know that is profiling and by itself, is probably the least effective method of determining a person is a bomber. But along with other factors it may increase probabilities. And how many Eskimos have been bombers?

Other than under the most unusual circumstances, do not try to interact with a suspected bomber or bomb. Contact the authorities and tell them of your suspicions and why you suspect something is amiss. Let them handle it. Move out of the area yourself if you think there is sufficient likelihood, or ask the authorities if you should warn others to evacuate the area.

Good luck. No easy solutions..

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Other than under the most unusual circumstances, do not try to interact with a suspected bomber or bomb. Contact the authorities and tell them of your suspicions and why you suspect something is amiss.

In security training, they teach you when you sense something off or see red flags with a person, talk to them. If they appear suspicious or out of the ordinary, introduce yourself , be friendly, )and ask basic tourist type questions :ie where you from?, what brings you here?, got family? It's usually an instant confirmation of what's up, whether it's something or just an akward guy who doesn't know where to be.

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I attended a mega church with a fairly strong security presence. Have for eighteen years. But seems as though whenever they bring in a group of new guys, I am highly monitored. I must look the example in the training videos. One Sunday , I was feeling a bit of indigestion and obviously slightly uncomfortable. I scanning the auditorium and seats near me as I habitually do simply to be aware. I also was constantly checking my watch and the clock on the wall as I had a staff meeting halfway through the service. As soon as the music got loud, a man came and stood next to me. Then one behind me, and in front. There were six guys around me standing, "watching the service". Finally an older usher came up and introduced himself asked me questions and welcomed me. All the while six guys with ear buds were ready to tackle me at the slightest misreading. Actually had the "swarm of ushers" ,as we call it, three times.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
In security training, they teach you when you sense something off or see red flags with a person, talk to them. If they appear suspicious or out of the ordinary, introduce yourself , be friendly, )and ask basic tourist type questions :ie where you from?, what brings you here?, got family? It's usually an instant confirmation of what's up, whether it's something or just an akward guy who doesn't know where to be.

That is the decision of a security person. The average citizen should probably not undertake that unless directed to by the security (police) person they contact.

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
That is the decision of a security person. The average citizen should probably not undertake that unless directed to by the security (police) person they contact.
And why not, it's not like you are doing anything out of the ordinary by talking to someone. Five seconds of conversation would likely tell you if it was worth reporting, plus, you have stronger reason and more info if you do report it.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Unless say, your stuck on a railcar with the guy.

And you spook him because you don't what kind of questions to ask and more importantly, not to ask.

And why not, it's not like you are doing anything out of the ordinary by talking to someone. Five seconds of conversation would likely tell you if it was worth reporting, plus, you have stronger reason and more info if you do report it.

Five seconds? Wow, your are good!

And we can play the what if game all day. But maybe you have heard the old saying, "If a bullfrog had wings, he wouldn't bump butt on the ground."

Terrorist acts, especially suicide bombings, aren't carried out by the elite and most educated steady thinking terrorists. They get more gullible and uneducated people to do those things and die. Point being, they are more likely to be nervous and/or scared, so easily spooked into taking action before it was planned to be taken.

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
And you spook him because you don't what kind of questions to ask and more importantly, not to ask.

Point is, you can't tell what's up from distance. Could be a bomber, could be a pickpocket, could be a guy who has memory problems, or a guy who just sharted. Most of the times it's nothing.

Five seconds? Wow, your are good!

And we can play the what if game all day. But maybe you have heard the old saying, "If a bullfrog had wings, he wouldn't bump butt on the ground."

Terrorist acts, especially suicide bombings, aren't carried out by the elite and most educated steady thinking terrorists. They get more gullible and uneducated people to do those things and die. Point being, they are more likely to be nervous and/or scared, so easily spooked into taking action before it was planned to be taken.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

In fact that is about the best defense. Look for bags that seem out of place in any way. See if clothing is too large for the rest of the body, or inappropriate for the time of year. See if any wires are showing. See if the person appears to be clasping anything in a pocket or under a fold in clothing. See if a bag or container seems out of place, such as a cleaning bucket without a person, or anything that appears to have been left behind/abandoned. Does a person who appears to be associated with a suspicious object appear nervous or fearful? Does a person seem to be associated with a possible dangerous object, and does the person appear Arabic? I know that is profiling and by itself, is probably the least effective method of determining a person is a bomber. But along with other factors it may increase probabilities. And how many Eskimos have been bombers?

Other than under the most unusual circumstances, do not try to interact with a suspected bomber or bomb. Contact the authorities and tell them of your suspicions and why you suspect something is amiss. Let them handle it. Move out of the area yourself if you think there is sufficient likelihood, or ask the authorities if you should warn others to evacuate the area.

Depending on where you live, this isn't always possible. When I'm on a subway and I'm within a centimeter of or getting pushed by 5 different people at once, I don't have the opportunity to examine each person, or to move away if I notice the person pushing against me has a large coat. In general my response is to go to a less crowded area, if possible (take subway during off times, walk when I can), and just avoid everyone, since anyone could do something suspicious. Or just accept that I haven't seen anyone mugged or stabbed on a subway yet, so the odds are probably in my favor.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depending on where you live, this isn't always possible. When I'm on a subway and I'm within a centimeter of or getting pushed by 5 different people at once, I don't have the opportunity to examine each person, or to move away if I notice the person pushing against me has a large coat. In general my response is to go to a less crowded area, if possible (take subway during off times, walk when I can), and just avoid everyone, since anyone could do something suspicious. Or just accept that I haven't seen anyone mugged or stabbed on a subway yet, so the odds are probably in my favor.

Sounds like no reason be suspicious then.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Point is, you can't tell what's up from distance. Could be a bomber, could be a pickpocket, could be a guy who has memory problems, or a guy who just sharted. Most of the times it's nothing.

Well, if you find yourself in such a situation, it will be your choice what to do. Depending on the outcome, you can come back here and crow, or otherwise.

Latest Discussions