Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of course, the voice of the sane says "This is dangerous and must be stopped PRONTO!! No Starbucks for me until they stand up to the gun nuts and say NO. I am tired of MY Liberty being trampled on my these nutjobs who don't care about anybody but their own God-damned selves. I have a right to go for a cup of joe without worrying about being shot at!"

Because, you know, there have been so many shootings at Starbucks. I know the last time I was in there, 3 people were killed by the sugar table. The Barista was wearing kevlar flak jacket, bravely pulling shots while the shrapnel flew. I got out of there with only a minor leg wound, but Smitty....*Sniff*, Smitty hed *sob* didn't make it. Took a 45 slug to the temple right as he took his first sip. The bastid didn't even get to enjoy his burnt bean juice.

OH GOD!!! WHY!!!! WHY!!!!! ALL HE WANTED WAS A CUP OF JOE!!!!!

Oh wait. That only happens in the pee soaked fear addled minds of the panicked anti gun liberal nutter.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have literally never tasted coffee. People warned me I'd get hooked and I believed them.

It simply isn't true. I have been drinking coffee for at least 55 years and I can quit any time I feel like it.

The coffee isn't too bad, since they do use Arabica beans. At least they're not using Vietnamese Robusta beans (aka 'Cong Coffee') in their coffee...

As for Starbucks themselves, they can be a rather ruthless business. There's a coffee shop near my lab, that's a small business. This store is a combination coffee bar and small-time restaurant, where they serve freshly prepared sandwiches and desserts as well (unlike the re-heated pieces of plastic that Starbucks serves).

That's when Starbucks decided they wanted to conquer the area, despite the fact that there were already two Starbucks stores within a half mile of this small shop. Nevertheless, they opened up a location right next to this coffee shop.

I have to hand it to the small shop, though, they hung in there, and are still there to this day, even though Starbucks left that location just after a year and a half.

well, so much for you gun toting folks (;)) loving Starbucks....they just announced their 180 on the issue...

(plus it seems they rather raise the prices even when the cost of beans are down...)

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It simply isn't true. I have been drinking coffee for at least 55 years and I can quit any time I feel like it.

Some people know that they have addictive tendencies, others think they can quit any time.

;) Just kidding on the second part.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have literally never tasted coffee. People warned me I'd get hooked and I believed them.

It simply isn't true. I have been drinking coffee for at least 55 years and I can quit any time I feel like it. :lol:

The coffee isn't too bad, since they do use Arabica beans. At least they're not using Vietnamese Robusta beans (aka 'Cong Coffee') in their coffee...

I hadn't heard that. All the Vietnamese coffee I have drank was finely ground arabica. At least afik.

well, so much for you gun toting folks (;)) loving Starbucks....they just announced their 180 on the issue...

(plus it seems they rather raise the prices even when the cost of beans are down...)

From Bob's original post:

Starbucks has supported the LGBT community for many years, and we have zero tolerance for discrimination of any kind. We have one of the largest Employer Resource Groups for LGBT employees in the United States helping to raise awareness about issues in the communities in which we live and work. Our benefits program has always offered domestic partner benefits in the United States and Canada, and Starbucks partners actively participate and organize local LGBT events in their communities. We’re also very proud of the 100% score we received on the Corporate Equality Index from the Human Rights Campaign. We will continue to work very closely with this organization and others on topics relevant to the community.

http://www.starbucks.com/blog/our-de...race-diversity

I fear the day a member of the LGBT community commits a crime with a gun. :xtrmshock :wink1:

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a regular, gold card Starbucks member. When I was doing the petfood sales gig the last year, I was in 2x a week. A giant iced tea or iced coffee was under $3, lasted my whole shift and better than a HFCS loaded soda for me. I get 1 "fancy" drink when I get the points, and usually just grab a green tea or iced coffee the other times. Their blonde roast is more akin to Tim Hortons which when it comes to coffee I prefer. At home, the Keurig is usually used to make tea (hot water and a bag), or for guests.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I cant figure out how Starbucks is still around I hate the coffee I do get tea sometimes there but even that is not that good. I guess they survive on this:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I drank that my doctor would hunt me down and beat me. LOL

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like I said. They just want to sell burnt tasting coffee and be left out of the politics.

Maybe I'm a bit blasé about this given how much time I've spent in rural parts of the state where its not that uncommon to see a person open carrying. I wonder how much politics there are in someone open carrying in a coffee shop? (Honest question -- I'm not being sarcastic). Is the concern that the carry might result in some sort of brouhaha between the person carrying and other customers? The only trouble I've seen with open carrying is running in to all the "Joeys" -- that's where a 5 minute stop for (insert essential here) drags on and on and on because of some guy who insists on telling you about his cousin Joey who shoots a gun like that. :rolleyes:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some people know that they have addictive tendencies, others think they can quit any time.

;) Just kidding on the second part.

Actually you are correct. But that was what I used to hear from cigarette smokers. I might even have said it myself. But actually I had to quit some 5 or 7 times before I really quit smoking cigarettes about 35 years ago.

With coffee, while I really enjoy Vietnamese coffee, I really can quit. I have done it. I happen to like green tea as well, and that is my first drink week days. Then one cup of coffee with a friend at work.

I don't know what happened above and below your post. Some MT zombie got loose I guess.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://www.ktnv.com/news/local/172377151.html?lc=Smart#.UjtgVHTddAI.facebook
Hmm I wonder if they rethink their stance.

Police say Officer Michael Wolff was off duty when he stopped at a busy Starbucks at the Horizon College Plaza at about 11 a.m.

When he approached the counter, he saw a gunman at the register pulling money out.*

Wolff was in plain clothes but wearing his badge and gun. He aimed his gun at the gunman, identfied himself as an officer and ordered the suspect to drop his weapon.

The gunman tried to run off but an employee had locked the door. He ran through a glass door, but Wollf caught up to him.

Latest Discussions