Death to Bill Movie

M

MartialArtsChic

I saw it on Sunday. It is very gory, but it's really an awesome flick. Some of the fight scenes needed to be rehearsed more, but overall I loved it. Most likely they spent more time on the sword fight with all the dudes. I, too, wish the scene with Lucy Liu would have been longer and closer up. Great soap opera ending and quite a few humerous moments in there too.

The script was well over 200 pages long, which is part of the reason why it was turned into 2 flicks. Otherwise, it would have been well over 3 hours.

Overall, I highly recommend it and now I can't wait til Volume 2.

MartialArtsChic

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by MartialArtsChic
I saw it on Sunday. It is very gory, MartialArtsChic

Satans.barber : In Britain it's been given an 18, and they've only handed like 4 of those out to cinema releases this year, so it must be pretty gory.

Palusut: It is a graphic movie. I agree with MACaver that it should be your family's call but the blood and gore is high though not murderous like a slasher movie nor meant to scare like a horror movie, just plain graphic like its language.

Hmm, with all that blood and gore... I wonder what the box-office GROSS was?? ar ar ar ar :rofl:

Satans.barber they rated the film R here in the States. Dunno what that compares to across the waters. Interesting rating system. I must get out more because it's the first I've heard of it. Always assumed that ya'll had the same type of ratings just slightly different guidelines.

M

MartialArtsChic

Originally posted by MACaver
Hmm, with all that blood and gore... I wonder what the box-office GROSS was?? ar ar ar ar :rofl:

Awwww man. - :rofl:

Found this in answer to your wonderings:

"The provocative director's first new film in six years, a tribute to the martial arts movies he watched as a youth, snatched top spot in its opening weekend, raking in nearly 22.1 million dollars in US and Canadian theatres."

It's making the bucks!!!!

MartialArtsChic

C

clapping_tiger

Originally posted by Michael Billings
.. in advance. Seeing it at the Alamo Drafthouse here in Austin, where they serve beer & food during the movie (every other row was removed and tables put in.)

Really looking forward to the gratuatous violence by sexy women, while drinking beer ... and on the premier night! :cheers:

-Michael

We have one of those exact types of theaters here in town. Tables and all. unfortunatelly they are not the theater that is showing Kill Bill. I plan on seeing it this Saturday.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the tag line reads: No-one under 17 admitted without parent or guardian (adult). But having worked in a movie theater once (freeee mooovies!! :D :D ) I've seen the young ones at the box office let in young ones of like age and no-body really enforces it unless they get rowdy or are obviously too young. Sad but true.

We do have a NC-17 rating now that's RARELY used and that is simply No Children under 17 at all. They're finding out that rating cuts into box office grosses and thus they go back to the editing room and cut out whatever it was that gave the rating to get the R...which seems to garner higher gross than PG-13's, PG's and the ever decreasing G rated movies.

Sad fact of our society's morals can be reflected by the permissiveness of the media/entertainment in all forms.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Been to see it this afternoon, what an excellent film! I hope the second part's as good.

The set for the O-Ren Ishii fight (both inside and out) was an especially favourite part of mine, and I also thought that the animé scene worked really, really well - it didn't seem out of place at all and it was visually striking.

From a martial arts point of view, I thought it was extremely well done. It was clear the Tarantino has drawn on the help of the more experienced people around him in this aspect, to good effect.

I also noticed that the fight choreography was done by Yuen Wu Ping, so he's redeemed himself somewhat in my eyes after the terrible, terrible fight scenes in the Matrix 2 (I'm now more inclined to blame the Watchowskis for that). The Wu Shu, Kenjutsu and Iaido was well blended, and the gory wounds were also welcome. In fact, I don't think I've seen anything as realistic since the start of Saving Private Ryan to be honest! For skeptical people, yes, Nihonto will take an arm, leg or head right off in experienced hands (as The Bride is meant to be) and chopping through arteries there IS going to be an awful lot of blood!

Also, although it almost goes without saying for a Tarantino film, the soundtrack was brilliant.

Ian.

M

Master of Blades

I thought it was as usual very well written and made. The anime scenes were great, the fight scenes were great. The only bad thing was the Lucy Liu fight scene which sucked to high heaven after the massive fight scene before it. I also liked the cliffhanger...now that was well thought of :D

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
She was a Samurai, so the fight was in the nature of the Samurai - quick, ending with a fatal cut.

It was meant to be about who was the better swordswoman, and was a kill or be killed moment; it wouldn't have been the same if it was long and drawn out, the scene before was there for the action.

:asian:

Ian.

M

MartialArtsChic

Originally posted by satans.barber
She was a Samurai, so the fight was in the nature of the Samurai - quick, ending with a fatal cut.

It was meant to be about who was the better swordswoman, and was a kill or be killed moment; it wouldn't have been the same if it was long and drawn out, the scene before was there for the action.

Ian.

This makes sense now that someone's explained it. I was wondering why it was so short too. But with the explanation, it actually makes the movie all the better for me. Thanks.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by satans.barber

Ian.
There is no good excuse for having so little of Lucy Liu.
Speaking as an uninterested viewer, of course. :D

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just saw it this weekend. Let's see.

Good parts:
-Some great homage to '70s chop-saki flicks.
-Some good unbelievable fight scenes. (Who wants believable in a movie anyway.)
-Lots of eyecandy.
-The hot jailbait crazy bodyguard schoolgirl (who IMO had the best MA skills in the movie)
Pretty cool anime.

Negatives:
-Lacked humor (Although I loved the Hatori Hanso bar scene and the spitting dead woman scene.)
-Crazy 88 (I mean you could give a sword to an 8 yr old and they wouldn't try to wave it around in such a childish and sloppy way.)
-Too much blood. (I know that the wounds inflicted are possible and that they lead to a large amount of blood loss, but they don't lead to fountains and geysers of blood that in total spew forth more blood than the human body even has in it and to heights of 5 ft. or more straight up.)

All together, he'll still get another $8 from me for the sequal, but I don't think I'll be getting the DVD or anything else.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When i watched this movie, I didn't know whether I loved it or hated it. It was brilliant, in my opinion, but definetely a very sadistic movie.

With regards to the blood; the effects may have been shocking, but keep in mind that its actually worse in real life. When the head is severed, the a fountain of blood, sometimes as high as 6 feet will gush out in 3 or 4 pulses (known as the "jet of blood"). The effects are very similar for limbs. If you still don't believe me, there is plenty of evidence in forensic journals (blood marks on the ceiling, etc.) to back me up.

There were only two things that pissed me off (and both because I'm stingy).

1) Uma's Japanese sucked. They should've either practiced longer or skipped it.

2) Not one person in the entire movie either held, or used a sword correctly. Its sad considering that virtually every scene was a sword fight.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Think about "Comic Book", then almost any screen shot of the movie could have been a panel in a comic. I enjoyed it from a very juvinille perspective. Take it for what it is, see it at the Alamo Draft House, where they serve wine, beer and food, and it is definitly an all adult audience, KNOW you are going to see a graphic (DUH? Quentin Tarantino) bloody movie, and take it for what it is ... entertainment for the darker side ... in a lighter vein.

If you know any of his other work:

Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
Natural Born Killers
Dusk Til Dawn
Desperado,

You have to know it will be graphic and bloody ... at least this one was not REALISTIC and bloody.

I loved it, as you can tell from my signature below.

"Kill Bill' Cheering An Escape from Reality" sums it up.

-Michael

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Eldritch Knight
1) Uma's Japanese sucked. They should've either practiced longer or skipped it.

Why should Uma/The Bride's Japanese be any good? Not only is it not Uma's first language (and indeed I doubt she knew any before filming), but more importantly it's not The Bride's first language either.

Both are American and speaking Japanese as a second language, so I don't see why it should be very good from whatever angle you look at it from.

Ian.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... whatever the quality of Japanese spoken. It would have been nice for the Japanese speaking audience if it was accurate, but she sure looks good speaking any language.

:wink1:
-Michael

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Eldritch Knight
With regards to the blood; the effects may have been shocking, but keep in mind that its actually worse in real life. When the head is severed, the a fountain of blood, sometimes as high as 6 feet will gush out in 3 or 4 pulses (known as the "jet of blood"). The effects are very similar for limbs. If you still don't believe me, there is plenty of evidence in forensic journals (blood marks on the ceiling, etc.) to back me up.

The blood spatter patterns generally seen at a crime or murder scene are not caused by "fountaining" blood spewing forth like a guyser from a wound. The spatter is usually caused by the inertia lent to it by the hacking motion of a weapon (blood flying off the blade or blunt instrument) or small amounts of blood can be shot out of severed veins or arteries, but nothing like the volume that appeared in the movie. That was just ludicrous, I can't tell how much "blood" he pushed through those fake corpses, but it looked like more than the few pints the average human body has and at higher pressure than the human pody retains it at.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I finally saw this tonight at a second-run theatre. Wow! Talk about intense! I really enjoyed it, and I really felt "involved" throughout it. It's really something!

Latest Discussions