Death of Scottish boxer from injuries in the ring

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fun fact: taking one K.O. left hook is less harmful than taking 50 light jabs to the face.

Where's your proof for this? Any blow to the head even light ones cause the brain to hit the skull causing bruising. Harder blows mean more severe bruising, bruising of course is bleeding so you are causing bleeds to the brain which leads to permanent brain damage of varying severity. Headguards do nothing to mitigate the damage.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read the post his partner put on FB it was heartbreaking, they had a young child.

There's no fun in there at all nor will there ever be.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rubbish situation for everyone involved. Family and friends mainly of course but always have to think about the opponent to he's probably feeling like utter garbage blaming himself for It but at the end of the day it's no ones fault it's the risk everyone takes when they step in the ring

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Boxer Mike Towell dies in hospital after suffering serious injuries in bout

It was reported that he'd been suffering from migraines over the past few weeks which were put down to 'stress' and 'excitement' about the upcoming fight.

RIP

It does not say if he got it fighting that day or if it happen after the fight and it took just took time for symptoms to show up. And by the time symptoms shown up it was to late.

It said he got bleeding in the brain!! May be if he got x-ray that day the doctors would seen what was going on but by the time the symptoms shown up it was too far gone.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does not say if he got it fighting that day or if it happen after the fight and it took just took time for symptoms to show up. And by the time symptoms shown up it was to late.

It said he got bleeding in the brain!! May be if he got x-ray that day the doctors would seen what was going on but by the time the symptoms shown up it was too far gone.

Speculation is not helpful nor is blaming him for not getting an x ray. He was stretchered out of the ring after being KO'd twice in the bout. He was unconscious as they took him out f the ring. At the hospital he was put on life support with bleeding on the brain, the decision was made to switch the machines and he died.
His coach said he wasn't aware of any problems with headaches.

Your comments are neither helpful nor in my opinion appropriate, victim blaming is never right.

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Speculation is not helpful nor is blaming him for not getting an x ray. He was stretchered out of the ring after being KO'd twice in the bout. He was unconscious as they took him out f the ring. At the hospital he was put on life support with bleeding on the brain, the decision was made to switch the machines and he died.

Your comments are neither helpful nor in my opinion appropriate, victim blaming is never right.

No the article was not clear in writing if he suffered an injury fighting and taken to hospital or if he gone home and days later not feeling well and gone to the hospital.

Not saying he downplayed is problem and gone to hospital when the symptoms got worse.

It just reading the article it not clear if he got sent to hospital after the fight or if gone home and days later got sick and gone to the hospital .

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Also I'm sure the doctor at that time would checked him over and said you can go home.

I'm not putting the blame on the guy downplaying is medical symptoms and going home and than going to the hospital when it is too late. No idea where you got that idea from.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

It's not the fighters fault at all but there are some questions to be asked about the commison if he did have a pre fight issue they should've picked it up in medicals and done the appropriate scans etc. the last person to blame is the fighters if they're cleared to fight they'll fight but there definetely should be questions asked about the commison. Maybe he didnt have anything wrong with him and this was just a freak accident it's boxing it happens it's a dangerous sport of trained fighters who are throwing very hard punches at each other but defienetely should be an investigation

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
An RIP thread is not an appropriate place to blame or speculate about why it happened.

Why are you speculating that I'm speculating that he is downplayed his medical symptoms and not gone to hospital when it is too late thus putting blame on him?

The article was not clear at all and I was trying to get to what happen!! The fight and than sent to the hospital or gone home not feeling well and than sent to the hospital.

It said he suffered a migraine thus not feeling well and he thought or the boxing coach thought 'stress' and 'excitement? Are we talking about future or past tense?

The news article is badly written giving major confusion.

It reads like he suffered a migraine than saying he got K.O. and in the hospital!! Yes not connecting migraine, K.O. and hospital what came before or after leading to major confusion.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why are you speculating that I'm speculating that he is downplayed his medical symptoms and not gone to hospital when it is too late thus putting blame on him?

The article was not clear at all and I was trying to get to what happen!! The fight and than sent to the hospital or gone home not feeling well and than sent to the hospital.

It said he suffered a migraine thus not feeling well and he thought or the boxing coach thought 'stress' and 'excitement? Are we talking about future or past tense?

The news article is badly written giving major confusion.

It reads like he suffered a migraine than saying he got K.O. and in the hospital!! Yes not connecting migraine, K.O. and hospital what came before or after leading to major confusion.

Only you are confused. His friends, some of who I know also, are devastated, his partner is broken and everyone is shocked and horrified. You on the other hand want to make an argument out of this.
His coach and corners say they knew nothing about headaches, it was his partner who mentioned them. They could have easily been just migraines and nothing else, she was speaking when he was still alive and fighting for his life. There will be a post mortem which will give the medical findings.
The newspaper report is just that, it's not official nor is it all the information. The important fact is that he died.
Now, please go away and have a long talk with yourself.

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Only you are confused. His friends, some of who I know also, are devastated, his partner is broken and everyone is shocked and horrified. You on the other hand want to make an argument out of this.
His coach and corners say they knew nothing about headaches, it was his partner who mentioned them. They could have easily been just migraines and nothing else, she was speaking when he was still alive and fighting for his life. There will be a post mortem which will give the medical findings.
The newspaper report is just that, it's not official nor is it all the information. The important fact is that he died.
Now, please go away and have a long talk with yourself.

Who ever wrote that article should go back to school and learn proper English. An elementary school kid could write a better v than the way that articles is put together.

The article should of done a better job of explaining he was fighting and got K.O. and rushed to the hospital.

As for the article talking about migraines it should done better job explaining when, where, who saying it and how it fits into what the article is talking about.

Latest Discussions