Deadly Armbar Escape

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It looks like it could work. I hope to see it in the next BJJ lab post by tony.
Actually it works if the armbar is not perfectly tight and the escape better performed than that. I hope to see a proper example here. At least, it could become a bit more instructional... :)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually it works if the armbar is not perfectly tight and the escape better performed than that. I hope to see a proper example here. At least, it could become a bit more instructional... :)
Yeah, Matt Page (Master Ken) is a real martial artist, so occasionally he slips a bit of real technique in before he starts the silly stuff. In this case I can tell that he understands the arm bar better than a lot of the guys trying to seriously show "anti-grappling" on YouTube.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Overall, I was surprised that he had most of the details right. Only thing that made me cringe was how the guy held the wrists so far away from his body.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Overall, I was surprised that he had most of the details right. Only thing that made me cringe was how the guy held the wrists so far away from his body.
Master Ken pulls the elbow, but not the shoulder. Doesn't it bother you (BJJ guys)?
If he pulls the shoulder (shoulder girdle) or by rotating his legs/hip first, the elbow can slide easier, even when the arm is already extended. Edit: add elbow rotation.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Master Ken pulls the elbow, but not the shoulder. Doesn't it bother you (BJJ guys)?
If he pulls the shoulder (shoulder girdle) or by rotating his legs/hip first, the elbow can slide easier, even when the arm is already extended.
Well, this is Master Ken, so dissecting his technique...

OP
K

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If he pulls the shoulder (shoulder girdle) or by rotating his legs/hip first, the elbow can slide easier, even when the arm is already extended. Edit: add elbow rotation.

The big thing is closing the open elbow, fundamental in defense to armbar, kimura, Americana, etc. Pulling back the shoulder helps but if they're loose enough to suck in the elbow alone, then the job is done. I'd still suck in the shoulder too as that starts rotating your body towards them to defend more, counterattack.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I honestly didn't look at his escape critically at all. The entire thing was silly. The only thing that really stood out to me was the way the guy was holding the wrist with his hands. And just to be clear, it's not "wrong" to hold the wrists, although that's not how I tend to do it. But to have them so far from your body is just sloppy. If you have the arm connected to your chest all the way through the technique, it's just tighter and more difficult to defend. It also helps you engage your core against the strength of the other guy's arm, instead of you trying to pull with your arms against his.

Getting the elbow to the mat is step one, and there are a few good ways to do it. but the key is to get that elbow joint below the hip.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Critiquing Master Ken? Perhaps jealous of the Rooster beak technique? (truth be told, I was, too)
While many have multiple belts from different styles, who here can wear two belts simultaneously with such aplomb?

Latest Discussions