DC Comics Reboot

DC Reboot, a good thing?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not so much. I grew up with classic Superman, Batman, etc. and I think the reboot sucks.

There are certain things you don't do. One of them is you don't tug on Superman's cape. They're not just tugging on it, they've given him a super-wedgie.

Two thumbs down on this.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
you just think he's wearing an armored suit...
Michael Keaton's fault....not the most buff guy in the universe....

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
you just think he's wearing an armored suit...
Michael Keaton's fault....not the most buff guy in the universe....

Nah, it's not Keaton's fault anything. It was all there in the books. Original 8 color printing back before digital inking could not do a solid dark color and retain any sort of definition. It's the same reason both he and Superman have different colored capes to separate them from the background ... imagine a blue Superman with no cape or trunks flying in the blue sky, or a black Batman uniform against his black cape in a dark alley, you wouldn't see crap. The red in Superman's cape as well as his trunks as well as the gold set him off against the primitive coloring back then when every blue (including his uniform and the sky had to be the same shade).

That's why people thought Batman wore gray even when Bob Kane said he wore black repeatedly. hell, they couldn't get the scalloping on the cape either without making it blue and painting the scallops black. Or how about the X-men's blue uniforms that are actually black, or the fact that The Hulk was designed (and indeed in the first issue) grey, but black pencil lines on grey doesn't work so they changed it.

as for the armor, Batman always wore armor. Some artists took it for granted that the audience knew that he wore it under the grey/or is it black bodysuit.

gabats5ed.jpg

1572382-under_armor_super.jpg

First change DC got (with digital coloring) to paint Batman how he should look, they did. In Batman - Troika.

batmanconceptwa3.jpg

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am ashamed to say that I forgot the other subject I was enlightened with similar indepth knowledge....

But I am sure I will remember when called upon (if I ever make it into Jeopardy!)

OP
Sensei Payne

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
I honestly don't think they are going to mess with Superman's Powers to much...he is still going to be awesome over all...

I still think bullits will bounce off of him, and I still think kryptonite will still hurt him, and lex luthor will still try his same ol same old.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I honestly don't think they are going to mess with Superman's Powers to much...he is still going to be awesome over all...

I still think bullits will bounce off of him, and I still think kryptonite will still hurt him, and lex luthor will still try his same ol same old.

Well since if the lawsuit goes through they can't use anything that Slagel and Shuster wrote, yes we will loose Krypton so we will lose Kryptonite as well. We will loose Ma and Pa Kent since they are his parents as written by them. Lois Lane, Lex Luthor, Lana Lang, the solar power, most of the other major villains that go with him, etc. We will still be able to maintain everything established after since so basically most of Silver-Age Superman. But we'll get to keep Metropolis and The Daily Planet since Slagel and Shuster wrote it as New York and The Daily Sun. But all the people in the building were their creations so those will have to go. They are positioning themselves in a place where they can rewrite or disregard the first 12 years of the characters origins as written by the creators. Too bad Slagel and Shuster were two silly kids who just wanted to write and draw because the lawyers screwed them out of their fair share of their own creation and DC forced them out of their own book. If they were smart like Bob Kane was with his Batman deal where he had editorial controle and still made money till he died a few years ago when it was taken over by Denny O'neil.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well since if the lawsuit goes through they can't use anything that Slagel and Shuster wrote, yes we will loose Krypton so we will lose Kryptonite as well. We will loose Ma and Pa Kent since they are his parents as written by them. Lois Lane, Lex Luthor, Lana Lang, the solar power, most of the other major villains that go with him, etc. We will still be able to maintain everything established after since so basically most of Silver-Age Superman. But we'll get to keep Metropolis and The Daily Planet since Slagel and Shuster wrote it as New York and The Daily Sun. But all the people in the building were their creations so those will have to go. They are positioning themselves in a place where they can rewrite or disregard the first 12 years of the characters origins as written by the creators. Too bad Slagel and Shuster were two silly kids who just wanted to write and draw because the lawyers screwed them out of their fair share of their own creation and DC forced them out of their own book. If they were smart like Bob Kane was with his Batman deal where he had editorial controle and still made money till he died a few years ago when it was taken over by Denny O'neil.

Bob Kane learned from their mistakes?

Happens a lot to the enthusiastic newbs, music, writing, invention...the world is full of tragic stories like that.

Generally speaking $$$ fixes a lot of those problems though...should they win their case, the publisher might have to shell out some major money...UI mean, Kryptonite and Lois Lane, those are canon, can't have the man of steel without either...

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bob Kane learned from their mistakes?
Happens a lot to the enthusiastic newbs, music, writing, invention...the world is full of tragic stories like that.
Generally speaking $$$ fixes a lot of those problems though...should they win their case, the publisher might have to shell out some major money...UI mean, Kryptonite and Lois Lane, those are canon, can't have the man of steel without either...

Bob didn't make the mistake, Slagel and Shuster did. Bob was also a grown man and author at the time who came into the industry a couple years after those two. He had the experience of a grown writer who knew how the business worked.

It could get settled like the Wonder Woman thing, or like the Watchmen film rights thing a couple years ago. But WW and Watchmen don't make nearly the money Superman does, movies, TV, animation, merchandising, and we have not even considered his comic titles since he headlines 5 books as well as being in the JL books.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bob didn't make the mistake, Slagel and Shuster did. Bob was also a grown man and author at the time who came into the industry a couple years after those two. He had the experience of a grown writer who knew how the business worked.

It could get settled like the Wonder Woman thing, or like the Watchmen film rights thing a couple years ago. But WW and Watchmen don't make nearly the money Superman does, movies, TV, animation, merchandising, and we have not even considered his comic titles since he headlines 5 books as well as being in the JL books.

Oh,a s established author, i bet he paid his dues....

I think Superman being the one who basically started it all (or made it acceptable), I think there is a huge bargaining chip.

Wonder Woman - gotta love her - but being a rather minor player (actually most past Badman and maybe Hulk) there is not much in terms of back story to be lost, but it seems with Superman....Like I said, you lose Kryptonite and Lois Lane, there isn't much left. Clark Smith, mild mannered reporter for the Huffington Post?

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nah. They changed it to Metropolis and The Daily Planet from Ny and The Daily Sun after the Slagel/Shuster split from the company. All the supporting cast was the same though. So keep the Daily Planet and populae it with a new cast?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nah. They changed it to Metropolis and The Daily Planet from Ny and The Daily Sun after the Slagel/Shuster split from the company. All the supporting cast was the same though. So keep the Daily Planet and populae it with a new cast?

I don't think you can trademark the staff of a paper...

But he could start working for Faux? :lfao:

(If I keep going down that road you will end up hating me...as I lack the required respect for the gravity of the matter)

It would be interesting to see the outcome, from a purely academical POV: How to you divide the royalties on an American Icon/Pop culture which has steeped into the very fabric of consciousness. I think even the dullest knife in the drawer knows what's what when you mention Kryptonite and 'Man of Steel' (except my dumb spell checker....has no idea what that stuff is...)

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think you can trademark the staff of a paper...
But he could start working for Faux? :lfao:
(If I keep going down that road you will end up hating me...as I lack the required respect for the gravity of the matter)
It would be interesting to see the outcome, from a purely academical POV: How to you divide the royalties on an American Icon/Pop culture which has steeped into the very fabric of consciousness. I think even the dullest knife in the drawer knows what's what when you mention Kryptonite and 'Man of Steel' (except my dumb spell checker....has no idea what that stuff is...)

You can. Slagel/Shuster created Perry White, Jimmy Olson, Lois Lane, Kat Grant, etc as the staff of the Daily Sun a New York newspaper. DC Changed the name of the paper to The Daily Planet (because a solar powered hero working at The Daily Sun is too on the nose), Metropolis' daily paper but retained the same cast. So yes, the cast are a creation of the originals, just the name on the building was changed after they were ousted from their own book.

The Legal View: The Once and Future Superman
201106241843.jpg

by Jeff Trexler

DC has cited its changes and additions to the Super-verse as grounds for reducing the Siegel heirs’s share of Superman material produced since 1999. A recent Variety article takes this even further, reporting thatNeil Gaiman’s success in winning co-ownership of Medieval Spawn provides legal precedent for giving DC complete ownership of the contemporary Superman, limiting the Siegels’ interest to the far less lucrative 1938 version of the character.
Does DC have strong legal grounds for splitting Superman between The Man of Tomorrow and The Man of Yesterday? Click below to see if Gaiman v. McFarlane is legal kryptonite for creators’ rights–or whether that’s just another misconceived retcon.
It would indeed be ironic if Neil Gaiman–who likened the Siegels’ landmark 2008 courtroom victory to his own–were to provide the basis for gutting the heirs’ financial stake in modern Superman material. But that’s not likely to happen. In fact, DC has a strong incentive not to rely on
Gaiman as precedent for splitting Superman in two–namely, its arguments in the Superboy case. continued here - http://www.comicsbeat.com/2011/06/24/the-legal-view-the-once-and-future-superman/

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
so the intern gets a real job with the enquirer, Lois, well, that's a tough one...I'll get back to you on that one....the boss has a well deserved heart attack....
Problem solved, at least 2 out of 3....

K, he is send out to interview Sarah Bachman (wink wink) and falls madly in love....

K, you can shoot me now. :D

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I pronounce it as "Suzanne" too. Luckily at some point I did cite the lawsuit rather than talking off the top of my head when clearly I cannot remember letters or the orders they go in.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I pronounce it as "Suzanne" too. Luckily at some point I did cite the lawsuit rather than talking off the top of my head when clearly I cannot remember letters or the orders they go in.

I <3 you anyhow

:angel:

(but, no, Dahling, my name is not Suzanne....)

OP
Sensei Payne

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
So now Superman and Wonder Woman are a couple in the new 52, this is new to the DC world because its the first time that they got together in the legit time line for the comic series.

I personally think its awesome...but what are your thoughts on this?

Latest Discussions