Day to Day Topic

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was wondering how many of the MA'ers on this forum used there training on a day to day basis. I.E. respect, trustworthiness, courtesy,dignity and being humble in there day to day lives. My guess would be 85% or higher please be honest and if anybody knows how to do percentages on the topic please do.. Thanks
Terry Lee Stoker

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
I was wondering how many of the MA'ers on this forum used there training on a day to day basis. I.E. respect, trustworthiness, courtesy,dignity and being humble in there day to day lives. My guess would be 85% or higher please be honest and if anybody knows how to do percentages on the topic please do.. Thanks
Terry Lee Stoker
For me, martial arts are more than just purely physical. Along with the physical, martial arts have mental, emotional, psychological, and spiritual components. With that kind of context, I use my martial arts every day in how I should conduct myself.

Of course, I do have bad days when I'm not conducting myself always in the best way.

- Ceicei

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I have to say that I do NOT attribute myself trying to be a good person with the attributes you mention with martial arts. I attribute me being a fairly decent person, who is somewhat humble, is trustworthy, yada yada yada to my parents who did a good job raising me and to a couple of other role-models when I was 12-18 years old.

I've met alot of people in the martial arts that probably fit your ideal pretty well, I've also met alot of arrogant boobs.

But since you bring it up, what training methods do you use to instill these traits?

Lamont

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lamont,
Are you asking me or Terry?

My personal "rules of conduct" exist way before I picked up kenpo and judo. These "rules" were taught to me by my parents and other significant role models in my life. It is just that my martial arts mesh very well with my lifestyle. Kenpo and judo are not what cause me to be what I am, but rather add to who I am and how I do things.

I thought Terry's questions were asking how, in what way, does the martial arts help reinforce certain characteristics and if (in that context) we use them on a daily basis?

- Ceicei

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, To live the way of your art? This is an everyday thing,never ending in todays world. Once you stop and cross that line,you lose. Practice it in everything you do(to be good person,humble). We all have emotional days,the ups and downs, but never cross the line between good and bad. Is it easy to do wrong. Only the strong minded succeed.

It is so easy to lie, cheat, and steal. Its takes a lot of work to be truthful,honest, and trustworthy in todays world. CROSS THE LINE and you LOSE. I believe there are many of us who stays on the RIGHT SIDE! Look around you...I see only good. (Maybe I may need to open my eyes more). I SEE?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Lamont,Are you asking me or Terry?

Hi Ceicei,

Mostly Terry, but it is an open question.

Alot of times there is a suggestion that martial arts promotes some mystical ideal, that somehow we will become this idealized shaolin monk, samurai, or knight in shining armor if we would just practice that front kick one hundred times a day. I just don't agree with that view, and far too often students view their instructors as some paragon of virtue on account of the belt wrapped around their waist.

Lamont

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Alot of times there is a suggestion that martial arts promotes some mystical ideal, that somehow we will become this idealized shaolin monk, samurai, or knight in shining armor if we would just practice that front kick one hundred times a day. I just don't agree with that view, and far too often students view their instructors as some paragon of virtue on account of the belt wrapped around their waist.

Lamont
I've come across those who seem to believe that martial artists are, as you put it, a "mystical ideal", or at the other extreme as a very corrupt, arrogant spitfire. What do you think perpetuates these fallacies? Don't you love it when "masters" are viewed as very wise and sage, almost untouchable, with a lot of internal strength and amazing abilities? :idunno:

- Ceicei

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Hi Ceicei,

Lamont[/QUOTE

I agree there are some martial artist who want you to follow their ever wish, and will make you invincible. Most of them require lots of money? and 100 kicks...? Well aleast 250 anyway..?

There is so much information today. Common sense is also needed. What do we do with those out of the world teachers?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Hi Ceicei,

Lamont
Lamont in no way I'm I suggesting mystical powers here, I grew up with a military family so I learned all by them. I owe my mother all my great traits for she was the household while dad was training personal most of the time. The question is do you as a MA'er use these traits on a day to day basis. And yes we start to bestill these traits from day one of class, the parents get a sheet every week which they sign off on and if the student fail the chores, task that they must achieve than I will not test them.( I already know who am I to judge what happens ay home ). I believe student especially childern should have chores to follow like brushing teeth eveyday or making there bed and putting away clothes and doing there homework on a day to day basis. I do not play GOD, I believe in the lifestyle of MA just not the self defense.
Terry Lee Stoker

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Terry Lee Stoker

I don't know as I use my "training". Since I entered MA at 47, my moral values were quite formed by then. I agree with you that parents have the chief responsibility to instill these values. But also our kids are affected by some school teachers, church youth leaders, girl/boy scout leaders, neighbors, relatives such as a grandmother, aunt or uncle and of course, by a martial art instructor. My kids were affected by all of these. In regards to the last mentioned, they were also the most challenged on their values. It warms my heart to see what choices my children have made, to not necessarily take the easy road, but the right road. Just yesterday, my daughter told me that her and her bf decided to stay away from the party group, their friends had taken the wrong road.

I don't want to say I've done this and done that. I just try to open my heart and treat others like I want to be treated. Not that I don't get angry when somebody does do wrong. Put yourself in the other's shoes and try to see his/her viewpoint however messed up it might be to you. Be patient with people. Lead your life and be a leader, not a follower. If you expect honesty from others, be honest, be trustworthy, have integrity-say what you mean and back up what you say. I think you should respect others even if they have fallen to the lowest depths of society because but for the grace of God go I. (although I have to admit I would still have trouble with rapists and child molesters) Bad stuff can happen to anybody and does. They might not have had great parents to begin with. Give everybody a break, we are all human and make mistakes. The morning comes and all is new so forgive those that hurt you and begin a new day fresh. And give where you see need. If we were all there for each other, the world would be a better place. And no, I'm not the epitomy of all these. I had down days and good days like everyone else. We all, I think, just need to keep trying. TW

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Something comes about after repeated exposure to dangerous situations.

Something happens after realizing a power within ourselves.

Martial arts is about taking and protecting lives. It is this realization that fosters a sense of personal responsibility and a respect for all life. That is something that does not stay in the dojo.

M

markulous

I think this is where spiritualism and philosphy come into play. If my Sifu never told me to pick up a book on Buddhism(which led me to read other relgions/philosphies as well) a long time ago and all we did was beat the crap out of each other, I am 100% sure I would not be as content with my life and I would still have some buried anger. IMO the physical part of it is important but you can only learn so much from that. Meditation and SOME sort of philosophy are key.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I try to base my core behavior around the Hwa Rang 5 Point Code, along with other rules of conduct as well.
Believe it or not, it's true. I really do try to lead an exemplarly life, with varying degrees of success. Occasionally I have to catch myself and realize that I can use some improvement, step back, breathe, and do better next time.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My morals were formed, like most folks, by external influences through my formative years. Things like my Parents, friends and relatives, personal experieces, and even the media (TV and movies) to a certain extent.

Most martial arts dont 'train' you to be a good person. Sometimes they do, and sometimes its just an un-expected side effect, but more often only the physical component is concentrated on. MA training is often no more spiritual than football training.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Martial Art or Martial Way training, the styles ending in Do, often include a moral component to practice, as opposed to styles that are just physical curriculae. Traditional Tae Kwon Do, Karate-do, Aikido etc. have strict guidelines as to what is accepted behavior in and out of the practice hall and how you live your life. People still have choices and will do what they want, but traditional arts say "this is what a proper student will do."

Latest Discussions