dangers of the choke?

Sandstorm

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm not saying they won't wake up I'm saying the possibility is there and there should be trained people knowledgable enough to help if the situation calls for it. When I first started training in Ju-Jitsu in the early 80's no one was doing wrestling or submissions or shime waza, when I would talk to people about it they would say wrestling or chokes, no, we don't do that.

Yes, I remember learning Judo at school and we used to have the piss taken out of us because it was seen as 'girly' 'rolling around in pyjamas'. Funny how things change:)

It seems with the recent popularity of UFC & MMA, "clubs" are popping up everywhere and every Tom, Dick and Harry Martial Art have added some sort of choking and wrestling techniques to their system to keep up with the Jones and some really have no clue as to how to teach a choke let alone revive someone that needs it....Just saying it could be a bad situation, one that should be avoided or at the very least planned for if needed.

Michael

Yes, this is a real concern. There is a Freestyle kickboxing club close by to me and they teach chokes (?) :confused: Everyone is a UFC grappler nowadays, even old traditional arts are advertising their 'lost grappling skills' that were 'misplaced' over the centuries:rolleyes:

please take a look at the studies i posted earlier in this thread :

http://judoinfo.com/chokes2.htm

http://judoinfo.com/chokes6.htm

no fatalities from chokes in sport judo ever, no noticable long-term effects from being choked out. i appreciate your concern for safety, but for what it's worth the "club" i train at is headed by a very well-qualified instructor.
if someone is breathing & their heart is beating, they're fine.

jf

Indeed. In fact, it was never chokes that were the issue, it always seemd to be shoulder dislocations when I was involved in Judo. People seemed to neglect their breakfall drills:angel:

If you can't rouse 'em, call an ambulance-that should be the rule anyway.

I think all instructors should either be qualified in recovery, or at least have someone qualified at hand in the class. It's really not worth the aggro if someone is injured in class. I would also agree with the 'call an ambulance', just to cover your back in this world of litigation.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Traditional methods are so easy to do plus effective and in conjunction with CPR training you provide excellent coverage.

Now in practice I have never not had some one wake up on their own easily and without traditional kappo technique. However, I have been places where the traditional methods were used a couple of times and were very effective.

Needless to say like Elder999 I think you owe it to yourself and your students to know both CPR and the traditional methods.
icon6.gif

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
also i didn't realize kappo included slapping them around or shouting. that just seems like a common reaction when trying to wake someone up. i guess we use kappo too.

jf