Dan level credentials

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In my first school, we did what we wanted. Didn't seem to really care about following the rules of some organization. My teacher was first dan when he promoted me to first dan, and his teacher was second dan when he likewise was promoted to second. It wasn't until much later that I was even aware that some organizations have complicated regulations on this stuff.

Honestly, I really like training in a school that doesn't pay attention to belts. Much less burdensome.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've had the great fortune to have trained under different instructors for many years. The whole rank thing got put aside. Haven't accepted any since 88, despite several offers to the contrary. Now, instead, they give you lifetime achievement awards. Got several of them, all from very Traditional Martial Arts associations. I call them the "because the son of a ***** wouldn't go away award".

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Depends as others have said on the organization. For the USAF (United States Aikido Federation), Dan testing is very strict, and has strict requirements. It has to be EITHER a Shihan member of the USAF Technical Committee (there aren't many of them) or TWO shidoin (in our organization, heads of dojos) that conduct the test, and they can only test up to the rank below them. If you want to test above that, you need to find someone above that rank..... In Aikikai Aikido, there was only one 10th Dan ever, and that was Koichi Tohei. There are some 9th Dan, but they are rare, and when they are promoted, it is by the head of the Aikikai-Doshu. Doshu has no rank, he is simply Doshu. O'Sensei being the founder, had no rank. But, as others have said, it varies considerably by art and more importantly organization. The ranks really don't mean anything in my opinion anyway, besides being a measuring stick for your own progress......I've actually practiced with an aikido practitioner that has been practicing for over 20 years. He is as good as any 4th or 5th Dan I've been with, and yet, he stopped testing at 2nd kyu. Said that he didn't really see the point as that was not why he practiced...he just wants to rock and roll, learn, and have fun. Could care less about grades....

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends as others have said on the organization. For the USAF (United States Aikido Federation), Dan testing is very strict, and has strict requirements. It has to be EITHER a Shihan member of the USAF Technical Committee (there aren't many of them) or TWO shidoin (in our organization, heads of dojos) that conduct the test, and they can only test up to the rank below them. If you want to test above that, you need to find someone above that rank..... In Aikikai Aikido, there was only one 10th Dan ever, and that was Koichi Tohei. There are some 9th Dan, but they are rare, and when they are promoted, it is by the head of the Aikikai-Doshu. Doshu has no rank, he is simply Doshu. O'Sensei being the founder, had no rank. But, as others have said, it varies considerably by art and more importantly organization. The ranks really don't mean anything in my opinion anyway, besides being a measuring stick for your own progress......I've actually practiced with an aikido practitioner that has been practicing for over 20 years. He is as good as any 4th or 5th Dan I've been with, and yet, he stopped testing at 2nd kyu. Said that he didn't really see the point as that was not why he practiced...he just wants to rock and roll, learn, and have fun. Could care less about grades....
I'm curious how far in rank folks have to go in various systems to be able to reliably get the entire curriculum. If we leave out some stuff that's almost never used, most of NGA completes the curriculum at 2nd kyu.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm curious how far in rank folks have to go in various systems to be able to reliably get the entire curriculum. If we leave out some stuff that's almost never used, most of NGA completes the curriculum at 2nd kyu.

How long does it take to get to 2nd kyu, roughly? Let's say the entire curriculum is learned by 1st dan; what do students do afterward? Is it all refining what they've learned?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How long does it take to get to 2nd kyu, roughly? Let's say the entire curriculum is learned by 1st dan; what do students do afterward? Is it all refining what they've learned?
In mainline NGA, the focus from 1st kyu to 1st dan is learning to teach (student teaching is a requirement). 1st dan is considered an Associate Instructor level (though some will start their own programs). So, those who don't wish to teach sometimes don't actually make dan ranks, at all. But, primarily yes, the focus from that point is refining, getting more relaxed (in many schools, one can make it to 1st kyu without needing to be very "aiki", because of the strikes and the ability to use the jujutsu approach to the techniques).

The time to get to 2nd kyu is technically at least about 2 years, bare minimum. For most folks, it'll take about 5 years. I think I took 9.