Damaged middle knuckle.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
So me and some of my friends were hanging out at some condemned house, I thought it would be fun to punch holes in the wall. So I I did and they joined in but unfortunately for me I hit a metal stud behind the wall and for the past 2 some weeks it's been hurting and has only felt a little better over time.

I'd rather not go to the hospital because I been there a lot already and they just sigh when they see me. It hurts when I punch with my right hand and it's only above the middle knuckle. Is there anything I can do treat it so it heals faster?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Other than immobilization. I don't think so.

Probably need to stop punching with it til it heals fully.

On a good note, pain is just your body telling you your still alive....so congrats.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To heal faster, no. Probably going to be a year or so.

To prevent that from happening again? Yup.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is there anything you can do? Yeah not to be stupid and punch walls to try and show off.

You thought it'd be fun to punch to holes in walls? Now maybe I'm not down with the kids these days and out of touch but is wall punching something people do for fun now?

Also go to hospital for god sake you don't go it could get infected or get damaged even more...they're sick of seeing you in hospital well hey stop doing stupid things so you don't have to go in. But since you have done it and it's causing problems then go

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're not a regular until you walk in, and one of the staff gets up, cheers, and tells the rest of the staff to pay up because he/she won the pool of when you'd be back.

A friend had that actually happen. He found it amusing.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is there anything you can do? Yeah not to be stupid and punch walls to try and show off.

You thought it'd be fun to punch to holes in walls? Now maybe I'm not down with the kids these days and out of touch but is wall punching something people do for fun now?

Also go to hospital for god sake you don't go it could get infected or get damaged even more...they're sick of seeing you in hospital well hey stop doing stupid things so you don't have to go in. But since you have done it and it's causing problems then go

OK dad.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I thought it would be fun to punch holes in the wall. So I I did and they joined in but unfortunately for me I hit a metal stud behind the wall and for the past 2 some weeks it's been hurting and has only felt a little better over time.
lol.. you know I'm shaking my head right? Real walls are not the same as Hollywood walls. Real walls have numerous things lurking behind it.
It hurts when I punch with my right hand and it's only above the middle knuckle. Is there anything I can do treat it so it heals faster?
Yes stop punching with your hand. It's going to take a really long time for something like that to heal. Bone and joint damage is never a quick heal, especially from impact injuries like the one that you have. Considering you were trying to punch a hole in the wall my guess was that you were punching fairly hard. Consider yourself lucky and that there wasn't a nail sticking out behind the wall.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
They get it from the movies.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ironbear Watch the entire video. Then stop punching walls. lol

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get it checked out. Swallow your pride, scrape up any cash needed, and go. It could be anything from a bad bruise to detached tendons or broken bones that'll limit your use of the hand down the road.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice attitude you have. Sorry If you don't like being calling stupid hanging out at an empty house (which I very much doubt is legal) and punching holes in walls. Even me writting it makes it sound very dumb let alone doing it. Sounds like something 16 year olds would do. Not grown men

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quit being foolish.
Stop punching things with it. Especially stupid things like walls. Go get it xrayed. It may need to be reduced.
If you're a regular in the ER, ask yourself why, and make the changes to stop ending up there so often.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As others have said, get it checked. If you've broken something or done other significant damage, treatment will speed the healing, and may prevent long-term (lifelong) problems.

And rest it. You've just gotten a new training tool, my friend. You now have to learn to defend without that punch. Avoid anything that hurts it even a little (for the extra challenge). Maybe even work one-handed some classes. Take this as a chance to learn to work in new ways - sometimes injuries are just new self-defense training opportunities.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice attitude you have. Sorry If you don't like being calling stupid hanging out at an empty house (which I very much doubt is legal) and punching holes in walls. Even me writting it makes it sound very dumb let alone doing it. Sounds like something 16 year olds would do. Not grown men

It's a condemned house who is going to care? It doesn't belong to anyone. Yes it was dumb, but at the time we were all bored, dumb things happen when people are bored.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
As others have said, get it checked. If you've broken something or done other significant damage, treatment will speed the healing, and may prevent long-term (lifelong) problems.

And rest it. You've just gotten a new training tool, my friend. You now have to learn to defend without that punch. Avoid anything that hurts it even a little (for the extra challenge). Maybe even work one-handed some classes. Take this as a chance to learn to work in new ways - sometimes injuries are just new self-defense training opportunities.

That's a new challenge, my right is my stronger hand and I throw a mean reverse punch with it.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a condemned house who is going to care? It doesn't belong to anyone. Yes it was dumb, but at the time we were all bored, dumb things happen when people are bored.
Yeah I'm not surprised you were bored if you sitting around an empty house....they not have pubs or cinemas or anything in your area?

Latest Discussions