Daehan Kumdo: do you practice it?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I joined this site back in June and have been very active on the Taekwondo forum, but I also hold ranks in daehan kumdo, which is essentially kendo with Korean language, and am an instructor. I am curious as to how many here practice Daehan Kumdo.

Daniel

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Is it anything like Haidong Gumdo (or Hae Dong Kumdo, or any permutation of these)? I know there are a few practitioners of this on the board. I seem to recall someone (in reference to the movie "Best of the Best") saying that the name of the Korean team captain, Dae Han, meant "bad guy" in Korean. Is this correct, or is the term used by your art just similar and not the same?

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I seem to recall someone (in reference to the movie "Best of the Best") saying that the name of the Korean team captain, Dae Han, meant "bad guy" in Korean. Is this correct, or is the term used by your art just similar and not the same?
No, that's not correct.

Dae han (大韓 in hanja, 대한 in hangul) in this context means Korea or Korean.

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As I recall, Haedong translates to 'East Sea.' Not completely sure on that.

Haidong and haedong gumdo are essentially the same thing, but there are two different HDGD federations, one using haedong, one using haidong. Gumdo and kumdo use the same characters, but kumdo spelled with the 'k' generally refers to kendo in Korea, while gumdo usually refers to HDGD or Shim Gumdo (on which HDGD is partially based).

Haedong gumdo is more akin to kenjutsu and iaito, while Daehan kumdo can encompas these, but does not always. Daehan kumdo is essentially Korean Kendo. It is very focused around kyorugi (sparring) with the jukdo (shinai), wearing hogo (protective gear, called bogu in a kendo school) and is a form of fencing. Generally, kumdo has forms and some muk do (bokken) techniques. Some kendo/kumdo schools incorporate a full curriculum of kenjutsu and iaito (our school does this, though you have to be around for quite a while, as traditionally, iaito and kenjutsu are studied as separate martial arts). Some kendo/kumdo schools are nearly entirely tournament/sparring oriented.

Haedong Gumdo is a relatively recent martial art (1970's I believe) with roots in Shim Gumdo (another relatively recent sword art, 50's-60's I believe) and according to the founders, ancient Korean sword arts. The style revolves around the katana-like daedo, and from what I have seen, has more in common with kenjutsu than Korean sword styles (If I'm not mistaken, Korean swords generally hung from the belt with the curve of the blade facing down, like a sabre, while in HDGD, they wear the sword through the belt with curve facing upwards like a katana), and is clearly influenced by it in my opinion. Not really a problem, as there was a lot of sharing of techniques and such between Japan, Korea and China anyway.

HDGD claims a two to four thousand year old lineage with lings to the hwarang and the samurang. While I find any such link tenuous at best, a lot of kumdo and taekwondo schools do the same sort of thing, I can't single them out for criticism in that area. To my knowledge, there isn't enough historical information on any of the ancient Korean sword to put together a comprehensive and accurate curriculum. I could be wrong, but that is what I understand.

HDGD is a legitamate, though recent sword art and it is a Korean art, which is nice for those who have interest in easter sword work but want somthing other than kendo/kenjutsu or Chinese styles. It is focused on use of the sword in battle, rather than on the duel, which is what kendo/kumdo is more focused on, much like western fencing.

Hope that helpes. If anyone here is an HDGD practitioner with information, please jump in; my info is all second hand. Ninjamom is tremendously knowledgeable and is an HDGD practitioner, and I'm sure that there are some others here.

Daniel

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Celtic Tiger's post is accurate (except maybe for the part about me being so knowledgeable, but thanks anyway ;) ).

The only thing I could add is that, if anyone is interested in some of the older roots of the art, they should research an obscure Korean martial art called 'gicheon' (or 'Gicheon Mun'). This art, based largely on Northern Mantis and Plum Blossom KF, was one of the roots of haedong kumdo - the two founders of hdkd studied it and shim gumdo, and were licensed to teach both.

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here's a question for you (totaly hijacking my own thread), back in our K/F days, there was a thread about HDGD sparring gear, with some pictures of the hogu that was being considered by one of the two federations. That's been at least six months to a year. Any new developements in that area, or is that a federation that you're not attached to?

Daniel

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Since it's your thread you can probably get away with it..

There has been no armor adopted as 'required' by either federation. Sparing is not part of the official curriculum (not required for rank advancement or for Dan grading) in either, as far as I know. However, the Daehan federation has now added specific attacks and counters/combinations at each belt level. I am hoping that this is a precursor to a sparring requirement and more formalized sparring.

After several years of research and much continued frustration, we finally adopted some semi-standard equipment of our own, just for our individual school. We will be using the chanbara (ActionFlex) sword and our own design of protective 'sleeve' (fits over the user's chukdo). We will also be using one of two approved helmet designs already available. Gloves are optional as they are not really needed with either the ActionFlex or the padded chukdo swords. Starting within the next two months, we will be formally adding a sparring requirement and specific attacks and counters at each grading level.

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've seen some swords called RSW, or realisitc sparring weapons that are supposed to be weighted like the sword or weapon after which they're modeled. http://www.rsw.com.hk/

Been thinking of trying them out.

Daniel

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have used them and they are AWESOME!! They would be my first choice for realistic free-sparring, if not for the cost. The chanbarra swords by ActionFlex are guaranteed for life (you pay shipping and they fix them), and the sleeves we designed cost less than $10 each and allow students to use the chukdos they have already purchased.

In any case (RSW, ActionFlex, padded chukdo), you will still need a helmet. With the RSW, I also recommend you invest in padded gloves - higher end lacrosse gloves (with articulated joints in the fingers and thumb) work very well, and can be found inexpensively on eBay.

Latest Discussions