Daedo electronic hogu distorts original concept of full contact kyorugi

Bagehot

White Belt
Reaction score
My experience is that the Adidas houg has be nailed, hard to even register. I can not imagine that bumping hogus would register, unless it was set on junior fly and adults were using that setting. We have never experienced that with the set we have.

I've rarely seen it happen, certainly not with just "bumping;" but when people offered that reasoning as a "problem," my response was that IF the illegal technique was that strong, it SHOULD register, and then that requires the deduction and point removal. The Adidas Hogul would require a sincere application of the illegal technique rule, which I thought was a "plus" if and when it happened.

In our three years of training with it, we like it because 1) it is simple, 2) does not require additional equipment socks that wear out, 3) is consistent, and 4) uniformly scores the variety of legal kicks (i.e. back kicks).

My experiences with LaJust were negative, period. Daedo, OK, but the simplicity of the Adidas system seems more consistent with uniform results over the lifetime of the equipment.

Unfortunately, WTF went with the idea before the technology was demonstrated sufficiently reliable and consistent. It was a triumph of politics over reasonableness.

-- Bagehot

Tenchi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've rarely seen it happen, certainly not with just "bumping;" but when people offered that reasoning as a "problem," my response was that IF the illegal technique was that strong, it SHOULD register, and then that requires the deduction and point removal. The Adidas Hogul would require a sincere application of the illegal technique rule, which I thought was a "plus" if and when it happened.

In our three years of training with it, we like it because 1) it is simple, 2) does not require additional equipment socks that wear out, 3) is consistent, and 4) uniformly scores the variety of legal kicks (i.e. back kicks).

My experiences with LaJust were negative, period. Daedo, OK, but the simplicity of the Adidas system seems more consistent with uniform results over the lifetime of the equipment.

Unfortunately, WTF went with the idea before the technology was demonstrated sufficiently reliable and consistent. It was a triumph of politics over reasonableness.

-- Bagehot

On those terms, yes, Adidas would be for the best. The problem is that there is a variety of situations which make it impossible to determine if a point was gained through a legal technique or not. I can give the simple example of a fighter attacking, striking the hogu, and bumping into the opponent for protection. The attack may have failed to achieve point, but the bump could have been powerful enough. It is not easy for the judges to determine what originated the point in this and other situations. Daedo system is far from perfect, but one thing is sure, it ensures that the scoring is exclusively done through contact with the foot. Regarding the required sock, it already existed before the electronic hogu and were used as mandatory protections that came up alongside the gloves.

There is still, however, a pressure problem with the Daedo system. If your foot makes contact with the opponent's hogu and you put enough pressure on that area, be it with hand or body, there can be scoring. It's a problem I have felt victim of, but apparently that is being solved. I saw something on another thread regarding a new type of reading on the sock that determined speed as well (or something along those lines), just to check if the foot had actually traveled in a kick motion in order to score.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So what we can do?
We can 'do' without them. In sport fencing, I can definitely see the need. The tips of fencing weapons are, aside from the bullets fired from a riffle, the fastest moving object in sports and judges legitimately cannot visually cue each and every touch. In taekwondo, however, there is not any need for such devices.

At one time, one of the Korean federations was pushing to make kendo an Olympic sport. Needless to say, Japan vigorously resisted. Not sure if the issue is dead or not, though I haven't heard anything recently. But I certainly do hope that it is good and truly dead. I would hate to see kendo subjected to such mechanical scoring mechanisms. It isn't necessary and it only detracts.

I feel very strong the same about the effect of electric hogu on taekwondo. Not needed. Not one bit.

Bagehot

White Belt
Reaction score
My experience is that the Adidas hogul has be nailed, hard to even register. I can not imagine that bumping hogus would register, unless it was set on junior fly and adults were using that setting. We have never experienced that with the set we have.

We've got three sets, and have used them quite a bit, and "bumping" never scored. We had them out last week and fiddled around trying to get "bumps" to score and even though the students were just about knocking each other down with chest bumps, it just wasn't scoring; the surface distribution of the force is just too great. I am going to strap some on some Judo students this week, backwards, and see if hard throws onto the mats will produce a score.

-- Bagehot

Latest Discussions