cutting punch

Status
Not open for further replies.

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
at least you're referencing it.

If I pulled one of these out of the river I would also take a picture. Nobody would believe me otherwise

half-human-half-fish-servants.jpg

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Cherry picking, convolution, name calling & referencing out of context to support a strawman argument. All in an attempt to support a false narrative, but I guess that's the SOP of these two.

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you find it difficult to phrase your own points? You generally seem to copy exactly the criticisms that have been made against you.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This thread has more passive aggressiveness than a Mother in Law convention. "Don't mind me. I'll be over here, sitting at home, minding my own business and trying not to worry about you. I guess leaving me here is just your SOP."

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This thread has more passive aggressiveness than a Mother in Law convention. "Don't mind me. I'll be over here, sitting at home, minding my own business and trying not to worry about you. I guess leaving me here is just your SOP."

Lol, NI's name is even passive aggressive.

He's just sore that his aura as a wise and mysterious authority figure is in tatters after he recommended straight arm punching from the shoulder in wing chun

I am sure he will soon get over it and get back into character. Needs to remember to keep it vague in future though

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For practitioners who have read through to this point of the thread and are looking for a dispassionate analysis on punching and the capping punch, here is some perspective. This bulleted format is fairly transparent and allows for particular aspects to be challenged and defended:
  • Punches follow the central line (line of taught string connecting your heart to your opponents). When the central line is the center line, the wrist is in the center and the elbow strives for the center.
  • The punch does not start from the chest, it starts from an angle of deflection, typically 45º in relation to the ground when balancing filling space and deflecting.
  • The wrist does not move during the extension of the punch although it maintains a slight J-like shape where the thumb connects back to it. This is to create just enough tensile support to avoid hyper extending the elbow on rapid extension.
  • We make contact with the bottom three knuckles (a tip from another forum member to aim with the ring knuckle is helpful). This is a point of preference between arts but the logic is that the bottom three align with the column of the forearm and protect
  • When we extend the punch, we extend all the way through and retract back to our angle of deflection.
  • We aim to punch through our target. The punch should be able to extend roughly 6-12" behind the target. It will stop short but the intention needs to be there.
  • Our arms are relaxed and biceps in particular are not flexed.
  • The first waits until surface contact to tighten in support of structure.
  • The capping punch incorporates a side step off a parallel side jab and leverages the initial angle of deflection through extension to deflect it. Assuming the opponent is in punching range and looking to punch through your head (not training range), the punch will intersect the opponent's head's incoming momentum at roughly a 135º angle.
~ Alan

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Maybe you could vid the VT punch, rather than hide behind a collection. Actually genuinely curious here.

We will have to wait for hell to freeze over, and then we would not be there to witness the VT punch demo any way.:(

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For practitioners who have read through to this point of the thread and are looking for a dispassionate analysis on punching and the capping punch, here is some perspective. This bulleted format is fairly transparent and allows for particular aspects to be challenged and defended:
  • Punches follow the central line (line of taught string connecting your heart to your opponents). When the central line is the center line, the wrist is in the center and the elbow strives for the center.
  • The punch does not start from the chest, it starts from an angle of deflection, typically 45º in relation to the ground when balancing filling space and deflecting.
  • The wrist does not move during the extension of the punch although it maintains a slight J-like shape where the thumb connects back to it. This is to create just enough tensile support to avoid hyper extending the elbow on rapid extension.
  • We make contact with the bottom three knuckles (a tip from another forum member to aim with the ring knuckle is helpful). This is a point of preference between arts but the logic is that the bottom three align with the column of the forearm and protect
  • When we extend the punch, we extend all the way through and retract back to our angle of deflection.
  • We aim to punch through our target. The punch should be able to extend roughly 6-12" behind the target. It will stop short but the intention needs to be there.
  • Our arms are relaxed and biceps in particular are not flexed.
  • The first waits until surface contact to tighten in support of structure.
  • The capping punch incorporates a side step off a parallel side jab and leverages the initial angle of deflection through extension to deflect it. Assuming the opponent is in punching range and looking to punch through your head (not training range), the punch will intersect the opponent's head's incoming momentum at roughly a 135º angle.
~ Alan

Note, this does not cover footwork, hip rotation, or ball/heal distribution.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Nope, he is specifically talking about popping up the elbow and flattening the triangle in wing chun in answer to you talking about wing chun, i.e. complete nonsense.

Elbow popped up to align arm bones in wing chun punch? No

Please revisit your quote of NI .. he said ...

"Doesn't matter if you punch up or down.To use urban slang, the wagina of the elbow will always come up to align the bones of the arm. It's a hinge joint. Unless their elbow is opposite of every other human, it's impossible for it to remain."

Don't know where you guys get the idea that elbow rise/come up same as popped up. And you are the one that comes up with the triangle thing.

LFJ's experiment on elbow stays down while sliding/pushing forward with a punch with the arm laying on the table is just that, granted the punch can be fired from the vertical all the way down to the horizontal angle and the elbow stay put. The experiment is flawed, it only addressed an isolate and controlled movement/action with just the arm, I failed to see what point is to be made in relation to elbow rise in actual punching in a dynamic environment .

Do you guys really fight this way? With your arm positioned as in the experiment?

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It is also frustrating to be trolled on a VT forum by people who don't do VT

The correct sub forum category under Chinese martial arts talk is "Wing Chun", there is no specific VT forum ... sorry ... however I do feel you pain.:p Hope you do find what you're looking for.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You're weak attempt to bait me into saying something so you can turn me in again isn't going to work. I have been consistent throughout my statements, it unfortunately, has been others, such as yourself,with ulterior motives. The constant script flipping, cherry picking, convolution, spinning etc. has been ridiculous. All to support a false narrative that attempts to make others look ignorant. More than enough information has been given to fill your notebook. If you want more, I suggest instead of taunting others to get it, you find a sifu.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We will have to wait for hell to freeze over, and then we would not be there to witness the VT punch demo any way.:(

Yeah. I tend to get lost with terminology, so vids add a little more to look at in many ways for me.

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The offensive/defensive banter is just obscuring valuable exchange between methodologies.

MartialTalk is not about sharing or exchange. It is all about domination, hegemony, winner take all, and proving your lineage is the only one of relevance while all others are the work of charlatans or dupes.

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Please revisit your quote of NI .. he said ...

"Doesn't matter if you punch up or down.To use urban slang, the wagina of the elbow will always come up to align the bones of the arm. It's a hinge joint. Unless their elbow is opposite of every other human, it's impossible for it to remain."

Don't know where you guys get the idea that elbow rise/come up same as popped up. And you are the one that comes up with the triangle thing.

Here is where he advocates elbow popped up and punching with the arm straight from the shoulder (i.e. triangle flattened):

Nobody Important said:
To use urban slang, the wagina of the elbow will always come up to align the bones of the arm.

At high level it will be wrist at highest point and shoulder at lowest. At mid let all three will be same height and at low level shoulder will be highest and wrist at lowest.

Not sure why you are getting grumpy with me, speak to NI if you don't like it. All I can say is that he isn't describing aything to do with wing chun. Coupled with his complete lack of awareness of what is faak and what is punch, I would say be careful what you believe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions